Home > Archives > IJSRST162358
Seisimic Analysis of a High Rise Unsymmetrical Building with Dampers Using ETABS
Authors(2) :-S. Shamshad Begum, Dr. G. Vani
Earthquake load is changing into an excellent concern in our country as a result of not one zone may be selected as earthquake resistant zone. One of the most important aspects is to construct a building structure, which can resist the seismic force efficiently. Study is made on the different structural arrangement to find out the most optimized solution to produce an efficient safe earthquake resistant building. The basic design for vertical and lateral loads i.e wind & seismic are the same for low, medium or high rise buildings. The vertical loads increase in direct proportion to the floor area and number of floors. In distinction to the current, the result of lateral loads on a building isn't linear and increase quickly with increase in height. Due to these lateral loads, moments on steel components will be very high. By providing viscous dampers these moments can be reduced. In the present analysis, a residential building with 20 floors is analyzed with columns, columns with viscous dampers at different locations were for all the 2 cases. The building is analyzed in Zone 2 & Zone 5 with three soils in both static & Dynamic Analysis. Moments, Shear, Displacement was compared for all the cases. It is observed that the deflection was reduced by providing the viscous dampers. A commercial package ETABS2013 has been utilized for analyzing high-rise building of 60m height and for zone-II & zone-V. The result has been compared using tables & graph to find out the most optimized solution. Concluding remark has been made on the basis of this analysis & comparison tables.
S. Shamshad Begum, Dr. G. Vani
Seisimic Analysis, ETABS, Viscoelastic Dampers, MCE
- Bai, J-W (2003), “Seismic retrofit for reinforced concrete building structures”, Consequence-Based Engineering (CBE) Institute Final Report, Texas A&M University.
- Chang, K.C., Lai, M.L., Soong, T.T., Hao, D.S., and Yeh, Y.C (1993), “Seismic behavior and design guidelines for steel frame structures with added Viscoelastic dampers”, Technical report NCEER-93-0009.
- Chang, K.C., Lin, Y.Y and Lai, M.L (1998), “Sesmic analysis and design of structures with viscoelastic dampers”, Journal of Earthquake Technology, Paper No. 380, Vol. 35, pp. 143-166.
- Dethariya, M.K. and Shah, B.J. (2011), “Seismic response of building frame with and without viscous damper with using SAP 2000”, International Journal of Earth Sciences and Engineering, ISSN 0974-5904, Volume 04, No. 06 SPL, October 2011, pp 581-585.
- Indian Standards, Criteria for earthquake resistant design of structures, fifth revision, IS 1893 (Part 1)-2002, New Delhi.
- Wakchaure, M.R and Ped, S.P (2013), “Earthquake analysis of high rise building with and without in filled walls”, International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT) Volume 2, Issue 2, August 2012.
- Weng, D.G., Zhang, C., Lu, X.L., Zeng, S and Zhang, S.M (2012), “A simplified design procedure for sesmic retrofit of earthquake damaged RC frames with viscous dampers”, Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol.44, No.5.
- ETABS 2013 Training Manuals
- IS CODE 1893-2002 CRITERIA FOR EARTH QUAKE RESISTANT DESIGN OF STRUCTURES
- IS CODE 875 PART-III Wind loads
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 197-205
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162358
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
S. Shamshad Begum, Dr. G. Vani, "Seisimic Analysis of a High Rise Unsymmetrical Building with Dampers Using ETABS", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.197-205, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162358