Home > Archives > IJSRST162381
Kinetic and Thermodynamic Studies on Biosorption of Lead ions by Chemically Modified Sawdust
Authors(2) :-Asha. R, Avila Thanga Booshan. S
The problem of removing pollutants from water is an important process and is becoming more important with the increasing of industrial activities. One of the most important environmental problems is water resources pollution by heavymetals. Biosorption is affordable adsorbents for the removal of heavy metals from aqueous solutions. This study explores the adsorption potential of Pb(II) by acid modified sawdust in aqueous solution. The influences of several main parameters such as pH and adsorbent dosage were studied. The adsorption kinetics were analyzed by pseudo first order and pseudo second order kinetic models. Thermodynamic parameters including changes of free energy (Î”G), enthalpy (Î”H) and entropy (Î”S) during the biosorption were determined.
Asha. R, Avila Thanga Booshan. S
Biosorption, Pb(II), Sawdust, Kinetic Models, Thermodynamic Parameters
- Matlock, M.M., Howerton, B.S. and Atwood, D.A., (2002), Chemical precipitation of heavy metals fromacid mine drainage, Water Res., 36(19), 4757-4764.
- Feng, D., Aldrich, C. and Tan, H, (2000), Treatment of acid mine water by use of heavy metal precipitation and ion exchange, Minerals Eng., 13(6), 623-642.
- Mohammadi, T., Moheb, A., Sadrzadeh, M. and Razmi, A., (2005), Modelling of metal ion removal from waste water by electrodialysis separat, Sep. Purificat. Technol., 41(1), 73-82.
- Mustaqeem, M., Sharif Bagwan, M. and Patil, P.R., (2013), Evaluation of removal efficiency of Ni(II) from aqueous solution by natural leaves, Rasayan J Chem., 6(4), 307-314.
- Villaescusa, I., Fiol, N., Martinez, M., Miralles, N., Poch, J. and Serarols J., (2004), Removal of copper and nickel ions from aqueous solutions by grape stalks wastes, Water Res., 38(4), 992-1002.
- Amarasinghe, B.M.W.P.K and William, R.A.,(2007), Tea waste as a low cost adsorbent for the removal of Cu and Pb from waste water, Chemical Engineering Journal, 132(1-3), 299-309.
- Babarinde, N.A.A., Babalola, J.O. and Sann,i R.A., (2006), Biosorption of lead ions from aqueous solution by maize leaf, Int. J. Phys. Sci., 1(1), 23-26.
- Banerjee, K., Ramesh, S.T., Gandhimathi, R., Nidheesh, P.V. and Bharathi, K.S., (2012), A novel agricultural waste adsorbent, watermelon shell for the removal of copper from aqueous solutions,Iranica Journal of Energy & Environment, 3(2), 143-156.
- Abbaszadeh, S., Wan Alwi, S.R., Ghasemi,N., Nodeh, H.R., Colin Webb, C. and Muhamad, I.I.,(2015), Use of pristine papaya peel to remove Pb(II) from aqueous solution, Chemical engineering transaction, 45, 961-966.
- Yasemin, B. and Zeki, T., (2007), Removal of heavy metals from aqueous solution by sawdust adsorption, J Environ Sci., 19, 160-166.
- Ho, Y.S. and McKay, G., (1999)., Pseudo second order model for sorption processes, Process Biochem, 34, 451-465.
- Akiode O.K., Idowu., M.A., Omeike, S.O. and Akinwunmi, F., (2015), Adsorption and kinetics studies of Cu(II) ions removal from aqueous solution by untreated and treated sugarcane bagasse, Global NEST Journal, 17(3), 583-593.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 3 | May-June 2016
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 296-300
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162381
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Asha. R, Avila Thanga Booshan. S, "Kinetic and Thermodynamic Studies on Biosorption of Lead ions by Chemically Modified Sawdust", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 3, pp.296-300, May-June-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162381