Home > Archives > IJSRST162410
Physical and Chemical Changes In the Soluble Fraction of Eggs from Hens FED with Pleuroncodes Planipes (RED CRAB), Stored for Different Lengths of Time at Different Temperatures
Authors(6) :-Ma. De la Concenpcion Calvo, Ma. Elena Carranco, Silvia Carrillo, Leonor Sangines, Benjamin Fuente, Ernesto Avila
As an abundant resource on the coast of Baja California, Mexico, the crustacean known as red crab (Pleuroncodes planipes) may represent an alternative for use in the formulation laying hens’ diet because of the crab’s protein content. It has been reported that diets containing 4% red crab meal (RCM) generate eggs with satisfactory sensorial characteristics. However, changes in the physical and chemical characteristics of the water-soluble components that alter the biological value of eggs might occur during storage. Therefore the aim was to determine the effect of storage conditions on the water-soluble fraction of eggs from hens fed with Pleuroncodes planipes meal (RCM). To determine the effect of storage conditions on the water-soluble fraction of eggs from hens fed with a standard diet and with a diet with 4% (RCM), 90 hens were divided into two treatments: Control and RCM (4%). During four weeks of testing, production variables were evaluated. Eggs from each treatment were collected to assess the following factors: Haugh Units (HU), pH and levels of crude protein, essential amino acids and water-soluble vitamins after 0, 15 and 30 days at 4° and 20°C. The results were analyzed using a 2x2x2 factorial design, and the difference between means was compared using Tukey’s test. The results showed that there was no significant difference in production performance between the treatment groups. During the storage period, there was a decrease in the CP content (49.8%/15 days – 49.2%/30 days) and HU (60.16/15 days – 52.62/30 days) and an increase in the pH (8.73/15 days – 9.32/30 days). The effects of temperature and egg storage time on the CP content (49.2%/20°C – 50.2%/4°C) and HU (56.82/20°C – 71.05/4°C) were different (P < 0.05). The effects of diet and egg storage time resulted in differences (P < 0.05) in the CP content (49.2 Control – 50.2 RCM) and HU (62.91 Control – 64.96 RCM). Adding 4% RCM to the diets of laying hens did not affect the studied productive parameters, but changes were observed in the water-soluble part of the egg in a double interaction (times and temperatures). The eggs presented changes inherent to the egg metabolism, modifying the variables studied.
Ma. De la Concenpcion Calvo, Ma. Elena Carranco, Silvia Carrillo, Leonor Sangines, Benjamin Fuente, Ernesto Avila
Red Crab Meal, Egg Quality, Storage
- Balart EF. 1996. Recurso Langostilla. Red crab as a resource. Study of the fisheries and aquaculture potential in Baja California Sur. Casas Valdéz M., and Ponce Díaz, G (Eds.) SEMARNAP, Gob. De BCS, IPN, FAO, UABCS, CIB, CICIMAR, CETMAR. La Paz, Baja California Sur, México. Pp. 167-180. (in Spanish).
- Aurioles GD and Pérez FR. 1997. Seasonal and bathymetric changes in feeding habitats of the benthic red crab Pleuroncodes planipes (Decapoda, Anomura, Galatheidae) off the pacific coast of Baja California Sur, México. Crustaceana 70:272:287.
- Karnicki ZS. 1981. Posibilities for utilization of Langostilla (P. planipes) and ways of approach the problem in Mexico. Fishery Industry Officer, Rome.
- García CF. 1992. The digestive protease of langostilla (Pleuroncodes planipes, Decapoda): their partial characterization, and the effect of feed on their composition. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 103B: 575-578.
- Castro GM, Carrillo D, Pérez-Gil R and Calvo C. 1995. Red crab chemical composition and technological processes. In: Aureoles-Gamboa, D., Balart, E.F. (Eds.). La Langostilla: Biología, Ecología y Aprovechamiento. Centro de Investigaciones Biológicas del Noroeste, S.C. México, Pp. 163-177. (in Spanish).
- Carrillo DS, Carranco J, Castillo D, Castro G, Ávila G and Pérez-Gil R. 2005. Cholesterol and n-3 and n-6 Fatty Acid Content in Eggs from Laying Hens Fed with Red Crab Meal (Pleuroncodes planipes). Poult. Sci. 84: 167-172.
- Carranco JM, Calvo CC, Carrillo DS, Ramírez P, Morales B, Sanginés G, Fuente M, Ávila G and Pérez-Gil R. 2011. Crustacean meal in laying hen rations. Effect on productive variables and sensory evaluation of eggs stored in different conditions. Cuban J. Agric. Sci. 45: 171-175.
- INA. 2015. Instituto Nacional Avícola. (online). Retrieved April 27, 2015. Available at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NMX. 2004. NMX-FF-079-SCFI-2004. Mexican Norm for Poultry Products. Fresh Egg chicken. Specifications and Testing Methods. Secretaría de Economía, México. (in Spanish).
- Ahn DU, Sell J, Chamruspollet M and Jeffrey M. 1999. Effect of dietary conjugated linolenic acid on the quality characteristics of chicken eggs during refrigerated storage. Poult. Sci. 78: 922-928.
- Guerra M. 2000. Factors affecting egg quality. Agricultura, 4: 38-40. (in Spanish).
- NOM 1999., NORMA Oficial Mexicana NOM-062-ZOO-1999. Technical specifications for the production, care and use of laboratory animals. Secretariat of Agriculture, Livestock, Rural Development, Fisheries and Food, Mexico. (in Spanish).
- NRC. 1994. Nutrient Requirements of Poultry. 9th revision ed. National Academy Press. Washington D.C.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analytical Chemist, 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, VA, USA.
- Charley H. 2004. Tecnología de Alimentos. Food Technology. Chemical and physical processes in food preparation. Limusa, México, pp 435-473. (in Spanish).
- FAO. 1987. The Nutrition and Feeding of farmed fish and shrimp. A training manual. 1. The essential nutrients. Food Agriculture Organization. Brasilia, Brazil, Pp 132.
- Cruz-Suárez LE, Ricque-Marie D, Martínez-Vega JA and Wesche-Eveling P. 1993. Evaluation of two shrimp by-product meals as protein sources in diets for Penaeus vannamei. Aquaculture 115: 53-62.
- Andrade DR, Torres GR, Montes MEJ, Chávez BMM and Naar OV. 2007. Development of a seasoning made from flour of farmed shrimp heads (Penaeus sp.). Rev. Fac. de Química Farmacéutica, Colombia 14: 109-113. (in Spanish).
- Caeiro MJR. 2004. Basic operations in production of canned fish and seafood. 1ª. Ed. Editorial Vigo. 200 pp. (in Spanish).
- Toma RB and Meyers S. 1975. Isolation and chemical evaluation of protein from shrimp cannery effluent. J. Agric. Food Chem. 23: 632-635.
- Quintero HE. 2009. Ingredients for aquaculture feeds - Part I. American Soybean Association, Pp. 63. (in Spanish).
- Li-Chan EC, Powrie D and Nakai S. 1995. The chemistry of eggs and egg products. In: Stadelman, Cotterill OJ (Eds). Egg Science and Technology. 4th ed. Food Products Press, New York, Pp 591.
- Glenn WF. 2008. Egg products industry and future perspectives. In: Yoshinori, M. (ed) Egg bioscience and biotechnology. pp. 307-325 (New Jersey, USA, Wiley Inter-Science).
- Croguennec T, Nau F and Brulé G. 2002. Influence of pH and Salts on Egg White Gelation. J. Food Sci. 67: 608-614.
- Grobas S and Mateos G. 1996. Influence of feeding on the nutritional composition of the egg. XII Curso de Especialización FEDNA. Madrid, España, Pp 27. (in Spanish).
- Grobas S, Mateos GG and Martínez J. 1999. Influence of dietary linolenic acid in production and weight of eggs and egg components in Young Brown hens. J. Appl. Poultry Res., 8: 177-184.
- Yoshinory M and D’Silva I. 2008. Bioactive components in egg White. In: Yoshinori, M. (ed) Egg bioscience and biotechnology. pp. 141-184. (New Jersey, Wiley Inter-Science).
- Naber EC and Squires M. 1993. Vitamin profiles of eggs as indicators of nutritional status in the laying hen: diet to egg transfer and commercial flock survey. Poult. Sci. 72: 1046-1053.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 64-71
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162410
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ma. De la Concenpcion Calvo, Ma. Elena Carranco, Silvia Carrillo, Leonor Sangines, Benjamin Fuente, Ernesto Avila, "Physical and Chemical Changes In the Soluble Fraction of Eggs from Hens FED with Pleuroncodes Planipes
(RED CRAB), Stored for Different Lengths of Time at Different Temperatures", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.64-71, July-August-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162410