Home > Archives > IJSRST162411
Steam-Microwave on reduction of microbial level of red pepper and compared with Gamma Irradiation
Authors(3) :-Pouya sahraie, Toktam Mostaghim, Alireza Rahman
Red pepper is utilized as a single flavor or in combination with other spices. This spice contains capsaicin, Carotenoid pigment and high Ascorbic acid level which have proper health and Anti-cancer effects on it. Normally this product is replete with microbial load and pathogens prior to applying any decontamination methods that could threaten human life. So creating a new approach for microbial decontamination of whole dry red pepper is obligatory, which is applying steam and microwave together. Here, saturated steam and microwave heat is used for 10 minutes with 720 watts and for 90 seconds respectively, while microbial load, enzymatic activities, moisture content and color alternation were monitored. Finally it was observed that processed red pepper contains the minimal microbial load and lacks any enzymatic activities, even in comparison with applying gamma irradiation with 5KGy in which enzyme activity was noticeably seen.
Pouya sahraie, Toktam Mostaghim, Alireza Rahman
Red pepper, Irradiation, Microbial load, Microwave, Capsaicin
Aziz N.H., Mahrous S.R.,Youssef, B.M. (2002): Effect of gamma-ray and microwave treatment on the shelf-life of beef products stored at 5 ° C.Food Control, 13: 437–444.
- Chang S., Han A.R., and Powers J.R., Kang D. (2010): Evaluation of steam pasteurization in controlling Salmonella serotype Enteritidis on raw almond surfaces. Lett. Appl. Microbiol, 50: 393–398.
- Fine F., Gervais P. (2004): Thermal destruction of dried vegetative yeast cells and dried bacterial spores in a convective hot air flow: strong influence of initial water activity. Environ. Microbiol, 7: 40-46.
- Hamoud-Agha M.M., Curet S., Simonin H., Boillereaux L. (2014): Holding time effect on microwave inactivation of Escherichia coli K12: Experimental and numerical investigations. J. Food Eng, 143: 102–113.
- Kim J.E., Lee D.-U., Min, S.C. (2014): Microbial decontamination of red pepper powder by cold plasma. Food Microbiol, 38: 128–136.
- Lu Y., Turley A., Dong X., Wu C. (2011): Reduction of Salmonella enterica on grape tomatoes using microwave heating. Int. J. Food Microbiol, 145: 349–352.
- Neetoo H., Chen H.( 2012): High pressure inactivation of Salmonella on Jalapeño and Serrano peppers destined for direct consumption or as ingredients in Mexican salsa and guacamole. Int. J. Food Microbio,. 156: 197–203. (2012).
- Duke J.A., Bogenschutz-Godwin M.J., duCellier J., Duke PK. (2003): CRC handbook of medicinal spices. CRC Press LLC, 2000 N.W. Corporate Blvd., Boca Raton, Florida, USA. pp. 94-96.
- Oliveira, E. et al., (2013): Inactivation of E. Coli and B. subtilis spores in ozonized cassava starch. Food Sci. Technol Campinas, 33: 289–294.
- Puligundla P., et al., (2013): Potentials of Microwave Heating Technology for Select Food Processing Applications - a Brief Overview and Update. J. Food Process Technol. 4:278.
- Rico C.W., et al., (2010): The comparative effect of steaming and irradiation on the physicochemical and microbiological properties of dried red pepper (Capsicum annum L.). Food Chem, 119: 1012–1016.
- Schweiggert U., Mix K., Schieber A., Carle R. (2005): An innovative process for the production of spices through immediate thermal treatment of the plant material. Innov. Food Sci. Emerg, 6: 143–153.
- Song, W.-J., et al. (2014): Inactivation of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Salmonella Typhimurium in black pepper and red pepper by gamma irradiation. Int. J. Food Microbiol, 172: 125–129.
- Taylor P., Bononi M., Quaglia G., Tateo F. (2014): Identification of ethylene oxide in herbs, spices and other dried vegetables imported into Italy. Food Addit. Contam, Part A 31: 271–275.
- Valero A., Cejudo M. M. (2014): Inactivation kinetics for Salmonella Enteritidis in potato omelet using microwave heating treatments. Food Control, 43: 175–182.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 49-57
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162411
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Pouya sahraie, Toktam Mostaghim, Alireza Rahman, "Steam-Microwave on reduction of microbial level of red pepper and compared with Gamma Irradiation", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.49-57 , July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162411