Home > Archives > IJSRST162425
Measurement of Uranium Concentration in the Soil Samples by Using Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors (SSNTDs)
Authors(3) :-Bashair M. Saied, Raad M. Al-Khafaji, Auday T. AL-Bayati
The research aims to measure the uranium concentration of soil samples collected from different regions are located around the nuclear research center at Tuwaitha to a contamination ratio statement of these regions, which include agricultural residential regions as well as being the regions for livestock of all kinds. The nuclear track detector (CR-39) was used as a method to detect uranium of through calculations depended on comparison with standard samples . Results indicate that the uranium concentration ranged between (1.07 ± 0.46 ppm) and (4.20 ± 0.50 ppm) and with average weighted equal to (2.40 ± 0.22 ppm) , these results are within allowed limit that equals (11.7 ppm).
Bashair M. Saied, Raad M. Al-Khafaji, Auday T. AL-Bayati
Soil, Uranium Concentration, Contamination, CR-39 Detector, Tuwaitha, SSNTD
- Bochicchio, J. McLaughling and S. Piermattei, (1995), ???Radon in indoor air???, (European Collaborative Action, Report No. 15 , P. 50).
- Todorov and E. N. Ilieva, (2006), "Contamination with uranium from natural and anthropological sources", Rom. Journ. Phys., Vol.51(1-2), (27-34).
- L. Fleischer, P. B. Price and R.M. Walker, (1975), Nuclear Tracks in Solids, Principles and Applications. (Berkeley, USA, University of California Press).
- A. Misdaq and H. Ouabi, (2006), "238U and 232Th concentrations in various potable waters in Morocco", J. of Rad. Analy. Nucl. Chem., Vol.270(3), (543-553).
- E. White, (2013), Principles and practice of soil science: the soil as a natural resource. (John Wiley & Sons).
- Taskin and et al. , (2009), "Radionuclide concentrations in soil and lifetime cancer risk due to gamma radioactivity in Kirklareli Turkey", Journal of environmental radioactivity, Vol.100(1), (49-53).
- Makhijani, L. Chalmers and B. Smith , (2004), "Uranium enrichment: Just plain facts to fuel an informed debate on nuclear proliferation and nuclear power", Institute for Energy and Environmental Research, Vol.15.
- Gavrilescu, L. V. Pavel and I. Cretescu , (2009), "Characterization and remediation of soils contaminated with uranium", Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol.163(2), (475-510).
- Bem and F. Bou-Rabee, (2004), "Environmental and health consequences of depleted uranium use in the 1991 Gulf War", Environment international,Vol.30(1),(123-134).
- A. Mascarenhas and et al. , (2006), "New polymers for solid state nuclear track detection", Radiation measurements, Vol.41(1), (23-30).
- H. AL-Ubaidi, S. K. Nasri and Z. A. Saudany, (2015), "Natural Radionuclides and Hazards in Water and Sediment Samples of Tigris River in Al- Amara city - Maysan - Iraq", Advances in Physics Theories and Applications, Vol.44 (117-122).
- H. Al-Ubaidi, (2006), ???Identification and Measurements of Natural and Industrial Radioactive Pollutants in Environment of Baghdad City using Gamma Spectrometry and Solid State Nuclear Track Detector CR-39 ???,PhD Thesis, Ibn Al-Haitham College,Baghdad University , Iraq.
- A. Al-Baidhani, (2006), ???Determination of the Radioactivity in Soil and Water in Baghdad, Karbala and Basrah Samples???,M. Sc Thesis, AL-Nahrain University College of Science.
- F. Tawfiq, H. L. Mansour and M. S. Karim, (2015), "Measurement of Radon Gas Concentrations in Tap Water for Baghdad Governorate by Using Nuclear Track Detector (CR-39)", International Journal of Physics, Vol.3(6), (233-238).
- (UNSCEAR) United Nations Scientific Committee on the effect of Atomic Radiation, (1993), ???Sources, Effect, and Risks of Ionizing Radiation???, (Report to the general Assembly with Scientific Annexes, United Nation).
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 130-135
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162425
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Bashair M. Saied, Raad M. Al-Khafaji, Auday T. AL-Bayati, "Measurement of Uranium Concentration in the Soil Samples by Using Solid State Nuclear Track Detectors (SSNTDs)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.130-135 , July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162425