Home > Archives > IJSRST162426
Modelling and Structural Analysis of a Pressure Hull under Dynamic Load
Authors(4) :-P. Yamini Charishma, T. R. Sydanna, M. Naga Kiran, A. Salmon
Pressure hulls are the main load bearing structures of naval submarines, and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). A pressure hull is a structure that is designed to withstand the compressive forces associated with hydrostatic pressure. In this thesis, the assembly of the pressure hull including Navigation compartment shell, Battery compartment shell which is connected with bolts is designed which is used at present. Around 16 M12 bolts are used to connect the Navigation compartment shell and Battery compartment shell. These shells are to be dissembled very frequently for battery charging and other maintenance purpose. It is observed that the dissembling and assembling process is a very time consuming because it requires unbolting and bolting of all the 16 bolts every time. A new design of pressure hull is proposed where the bolts are removed and the navigation compartment and battery compartment are welded. In the present paper, design calculations are done as per ASME codes to withstand the pressure of 65 Bar. The design constraints considered for the analysis were stresses and deflections. The pressure hulls have been modeled considering the elliptical cross section. The modeling of the pressure hull has been carried out by pro-5.0 and analysis software is ANSYS 14.0 software packages
P. Yamini Charishma, T. R. Sydanna, M. Naga Kiran, A. Salmon
Pressure Hulls, Steel, Static Analysis, Dynamic Analysis.
- Tsybenko A.S., Kuranov B.A., Chepurnoi A.D., Krishchuk N.G. &Shtefan E.V., State of Stress and Strain of Pressure Vessel during Pressurization, Plenum Publishing Corporation(1989).
- Liang C.C., Optimum Design of Filament-wound Multilayer- sandwich Submersible Pressure Hulls, Pergamon Ocean Engineering,30 (2003) 1941-1967.
- Ross C.T.F., A Conceptual Design of an Underwater Vehicle, Elsevier Ocean Engineering, 33 (2006) 2087-2104.
- Ross, C.T.F., A Conceptual Design of an Underwater Missile Launcher, Elsevier Ocean Engineering, 32 (2005) 85-99.
- Ross C.T.F. & Etheridge J., The Buckling and Vibration of Tube-stiffened Axisymmetric Shells under External Hydrostatic Pressure, Pergamon Ocean Engineering, 27 (2000) 1373-1390.
- Ross C.T.F., Little A.P.F. &Adeniyi K.A., Plastic Buckling of Ring-stiffened Conical Shell under External Hydrostatic Pressure, Elsevier Ocean Engineering, 32 (2003) 21-36.
- Ross C.T.F., Little A.P.F. & Leonidas Chasapides, Jeff banks, and Daniele Attanasio, Buckling of Ring Stiffened Domes under External Hydrostatic Pressure: Science Direct Ocean Engineering, 31 (2002) 239-252.
- Ross C.T.F. & Little A.P.F., The Buckling of a corrugated Carbon Fiber Cylinder under External Hydrostatic Pressure, Elsevier Ocean Engineering, 28 (2001) 1247-1264.
- Blachut J. & Smith P., Buckling of multi-segment underwater pressure hull, Elsevier Ocean Engineering, 35 (2007) 247-260.
- Derek Graham, Predicting the collapse of externally pressurized ring-stiffened cylinders using finite element analysis, Elsevier Marine Structures, 20 (2007) 202-217.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 167-172
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162426
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
P. Yamini Charishma, T. R. Sydanna, M. Naga Kiran, A. Salmon, "Modelling and Structural Analysis of a Pressure Hull under Dynamic Load", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.167-172, July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162426