Home > Archives > IJSRST162441
Responsiveness of Unemployment To Inflation : Empirical Evidence From Nigeria
Authors(3) :-I. G. Okafor, Ezeaku Hillary Chijindu, Ugwuegbe S. Ugochukwu
The debate on the link between inflation and unemployment cuts across various economic interests. Researchers and economists pick on the subject since unemployment remains one of the greatest challenges facing the developing and emerging economies of the world. Other things being equal, achieving price stability is widely acknowledged to have positive effect on unemployment and growth especially if the ideal threshold can be marked. However, finding the perfect trade-off seems quite elusive and Central Banks across the globe contend to achieve high level of employment without sacrificing price level stability. Hence in this study we attempt to determine the response of unemployment to variation in price level in Nigeria using annualized data from 1989 to 2014.The error correction Model (ECM) and the Johansen analytical tools were employed to process the data set. The results of the findings show that inflation impact negatively on unemployment while money supply and exchange rate were found to have positive influence on unemployment. Although unemployment and inflation have long-run association, there is divergence along the equilibrium part which is corrected at 65 percent speed of adjustment each year. We recommend rather than relying solely on monetary targeting as means balance between unemployment and inflation level, output targeting through economic deepening can play a supporting role in maintaining optimal inflation rate and minimal unemployment level.
I. G. Okafor, Ezeaku Hillary Chijindu, Ugwuegbe S. Ugochukwu
Inflation, Unemployment, Phillips Curve, Error Correction Model.
- Al-zeaud, H. A. (2014). The Trade-Off between Unemployment and Inflation Evidence from Causality Test for Jordan. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 4(4), 103–111.
- Anyiwe, M. A. (2013). Dynamics of Inflation and Unemployment in a Vector Error Correction Model. Research on Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(3), 20–30.
- Asif, K. A. (2013). Factors Effecting Unemployment?: A Cross Country Analysis. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 3(1).
- Cashell, B. W. (2004). Inflation and Unemployment?: What is the Connection?? Congressional Research Service: The Library of Congress.
- Doh, B. T. (2011). Is Unemployment Helpful in Understanding Inflation? Economic Review Fourth Quarter 2011, 5–26.
- Furuoka, F., & Munir, Q. (2014). Unemployment and Inflation in Malaysia?: Evidence from Error Correction Model. Malaysian Journal of Business and Economics, 1(1), 35–45.
- Gur, B. (2015). An Analysis of Unemployment Determinants in BRIC Countries Department of Economics. International Journal of Business and Social Science International Journal of Business and Social Science, 6(1), 192–198.
- Kinabalu, K., & Lily, J. (2013). Inflation-Unemployment Trade-Off Relationship In Malaysia. Asian Journal of Business and Management Sciences,1(1), 100–108.
- Mirza, M. H., & Amjad, N. (2015). The Impact of Inflation on Unemployment to the Extent of. Developing Country Studies, 5(12), 46–52.
- Nitzan, J. (1990). Macroeconomic Perspectives On Inflation And Unemployment. Department of Economics Discussion Paper.
- Orji, A., & Joan, O. I. A. (2015). Inflation And Unemployment Nexus In Nigeria?: Another Test Of The Phillip ’ S Curve Contribution / Originality. Asian Economic and Financial Review 5(5):766-778, 5(5), 766–778. http://doi.org/10.18488/journal.aefr/2015.5.5/102.5.766.778
- Ponzoni, G. A., & Zilli, J. B. (2016). Unemployment and Inflation?: An Estimated Phillips Curve for Brazil ( 2002-2014). Journal of Finance and Economics, 3(5),77-85.
- Qianyi, W. (2013). The research on inflation rate and unemployment rate in china. Proceeding of the International Conference on Social Science Research, ICSSR 2013 (e-ISBN 978-967-11768-1-8). 4-5 June 2013, Penang, MALAYSIA. Organized by WorldConferences.net 202, (June 2013), 202–220.
- Resurreccion, P. F. (2014). Linking Unemployment To Inflation and Economic Growth?: Toward a Better Understanding of Unemployment In The Phillipines. Asian Journal of Economic Modelling, 2(4), 156–168.
- Thayaparan, A. (2014). Impact of Inflation and Economic Growth on. Global Journal of Management and Business Research: B Economics and Commerce, 13(5).
- Umaru, A. (2013). An Empirical Investigation into the Effect of Unemployment and Inflation on Economic Growth in Nigeria. Nterdisciplinary Journal of Research in Business, 2, 1–14.
- Umaru, A. A. A. Z. (2012). Empirical Analysis of the Relationship between Unemployment and Inflation in Nigeria from 1977-2009. Economics and Finance Review, 1(12), 42–61.
- Vermeulen, C. (2015). Inflation , growth and employment in South Africa?: Trends and trade-offs. ERSA Working Paper 547, (September).
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 173-179
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162441
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
I. G. Okafor, Ezeaku Hillary Chijindu, Ugwuegbe S. Ugochukwu, "Responsiveness of Unemployment To Inflation : Empirical Evidence From Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.173-179, July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162441