Home > Archives > IJSRST162450
Diversity of Phytoplankton in Ayyanakere Lake, Chikmagalur District, Karnataka
Authors(4) :-N. B. Mruthyunjaya, M.Venkateshwarlu, B. R. Kiran, D. S. Somashekar
In the present study, phytoplankton belonging to 40 species under 27 genera was recorded from Ayyanakere lake, Chikmagalur, Karnataka during the period from April 2008 to March 2009. Results revealed that, Zygnemophyceae was found to be the dominant group of phytoplankton (25.0 %) followed by Chlorophyceae and Bacillariophyceae with 22.5 % and 20.0 % respectively and Euglenophyceae with 15%. Ayyanakere lake is found to be rich in phytoplankton diversity and hence productive. Physico-chemical factors were found to be the important factors influencing the growth of phytoplankton. The lake is said to be moderately oligotrophic.
N. B. Mruthyunjaya, M.Venkateshwarlu, B. R. Kiran, D. S. Somashekar
Diversity, Phytoplankton , Physico-Chemical Parameters, Ayyanakere Lake
- Adoni, A.D., Gunwant Joshi, Kartik ghosh, Chourasia, S.K., Vaishya, A.K., Manoj Yadav and Verma, H.G. 1985. Work book on Limnology. Prathiba publishers, Sagar, India.
- Ahmad, M.H., A.E. Abdelghany and M. Abdel-Tawwab. 2001. Phytoplankton dynamics in fertilized earthen ponds received supplemental feed at different timing for different periods. J. Botany, 41(1) : 79-98.
- 1995. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 19th ed., American Public Health Association, New York, 1143.
- Ashesh Tiwari and Chauhan, V.S. 2006. Seasonal phytoplanktonic diversity of Kitham lake, Agra. Journal of Environmental Biology, 27, 35-38.
- Bharati, S.G. and Hegde, G.R. 1982. Desmids from Karnataka State and Goa part III. Genus Cosmarium corda. Nova Hedwigia. Band XXXVI. Braunschweig : 733-757.
- Birsal, N.R., V.K. Deshpande., B.V.M. Gouder and V.B. Nadakarni. 1985. Chemical changes in the surface waters during the filling phase of a tropical reservoir on Kali reservoir North Kanara district, Karnataka state. In : Proceedings of the International Symposium on Environmental Impact Analysis of Water Resources Projects. Roorkee, India, 2 : 801-810.
- Coesel, P. F. M. 1996. Biogeography of desmids. Hydrobiologia 336 : 41-53.
- Descy, J.P. 1987. Phytoplankton composition and dynamics in river Meuse (Belgium). Hydrbiol., (Suppl. 78), 2: 225-247.
- Deshmukh, S.B., N.S. Phadke and V. Kothandaraman. 1964. Physico-chemical characteristics of Ambazari lake water. Environmental Health, 6 : 186-
- Digamber, B. and Vidyavathi. 1985. Gibberellic acid effect on Euastrum Verrucosum Ehrenb. J. Indian bot. Soc., 64 : 357-361.
- Edmondson T. 1959. Freshwater biology. University of Washington Seattle. London.
- El-Ayouty, Y.M., A.A. El-Essawy and A.A. Said. 1999. The assessment of water quality of Enan and El-Abbassa ponds. Acta. Hydrobiol., 41(2) : 117-137.
- El-Ayouty, Y.M., A.A. El-Essawy, A.E. Abdelghany and M. Abdel-Tawwab. 1994. Effect of different N/P/K ratios on physico-chemcial changes and phytoplankton standing crop in fish pond. Bull. Sci. Zag. Univ., 16(1) : 216-239.
- Hegde, G.R. and Bharati, S.G. 1985. Comparative phytoplankton ecology of fresh water ponds and lakes of Dharwad, Karnataka state, India. Nat. Symp. Pure and Appl. Limnology. (Ed. Adoni, A.D.). Bull. Bot. Soc. Sagar. 32 : 24-39.
- 2008. Study on fish diversity and ecology of Sogane and Santhekadur tanks of Shimoga district, Karnataka. M.Phil., Dissertation, Department of Applied Zoology, Kuvempu University.
- Ibrahim, A.M., N.F. Abd El-Hakim, Z.A. Nagdy and N.A. Ali. 2003. Effect of fish pond fertilization systems on water physico-chemical properties and phyto and zooplankton communities. (Ain Shams Univ.) Environ. Sci., 7(1): 107-133.
- Janardhan Rao. 1982. Ecology of algae in a polluted channel entering the river Moosi at Hyderbad. D. Thesis. Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- Kamran Tassaduque, Muhammad Ali, Abdus Salam, Muhammad Latif and Tasveer Zahra. 2003. Study on the seasonal variations in the physico-chemical and biological aspects of Indus river Pakistan. J. Bio. Sciences, 6(21) : 1795-1801.
- Khare, S.K. and K.S. Unni. 1986. Changes in physico-chemical factors and distribution of periphyton in Kolar river. K.S. Unni (Ed), All India Seminar on Water Quality around Urban Ecosystems.
- Kobbia, I.A. 1982. The standing crop and primary production of phytoplankton in Lake Brollus. J. Botany, 25(1-3) : 109-127.
- Kumar, A. and N.K. Singh. 2000. Phytoplankters of pond at Doghar, India. Phykos., 39 : 21-33.
- Lowe, R.L. and Gale, W.F. 1980. Monitoring river periphyton with artificial benthic substrates, Hydrobiol., 69(3) : 235-244.
- Munawar, M. 1970. Limnological studies on freshwater polluted and unpolluted environments. , 39(1) : 105-128.
- Munwar, M. 1970. Limnological studies on freshwater ponds of Hyderabad. Hydrobiologia., 31 : 105-128.
- Murulidhar, V.N and V.N.Yogananda Murthy. 2015. Ecology, distribution and diversity of phytoplankton in Teetha wetland, Tumakuru district, Karnataka, India. International Journal of Environment and Pollution Research Vol.3, No.2, pp.1-12.
- Mitra, A.K. 1982. Chemical characteristics of surface water at selected gauzing stations in the river Godavari, Krishna and Tungabhadra. Indian J. Env. Hlth., 24 : 165-179.
- Nandan, S.N. and R.J. Patel. 1985. Study of phytoplankton and physico-chemical parameter as indicators of eutrophication. J. Pt. Environ., 2(1) : 23-27.
- Nazneen, S. 1980. Influence of hydrological factors on seasonal abundance of phytoplankton in Kinjhar lake, Pakistan. Int. Revu. Ges. Hydrobio.65 (2): 269-282.
- Needham, J.G. and P.R. Needham. 1978. A Guide to the Study of Freshwater Biology (Holden Day Inc. Publ., San Francisco). 5th
- Nirmala Kumari, J. 1984. Studies on certain biochemical aspects of Hydrobiology. D. Thesis, Osmania university, Hyderabad.
- Orborne, A.C., M.P. Brooker and R.W. Edward. 1980. The chemistry of the river Wye. Hydrol., 45 : 233-252.
- Paramasivam, and Srinivasan, A. 1981. Changes in algal flora due to pollution in Cauvery river. Indian Journal of Environmental Health, 23, 222-238.
- Patil, M.K., Usha Namboodiri and K.S. Unni, 1986. Changes after sediment removal in a sewage pond, Physical chemical characteristics. All India Seminar on Water Quality Around Urban Ecosystem: (ed) K.S. Unni, p. 222.
- Prasad, B.N. and Mehrotra, R.K. 1977a. Some Desmids new to Indian flora. J.Indian Soc., 56:343-350.
- Prasad, B.N. and Mehrotra, R.K. 1977b. Desmid flora of North India paddy fields. New Botanist 4: 49-74.
- Rajashekar, M. and K. Vijaykumar. 2008. Nutrients status in Sharanabasaveshwara lake, Gulbarga district, Karnataka. , 2(1) : 83-85.
- Rajashekar, N.S., B. Nongri and A.M. Partwardhan. 2003. Physico-chemical and biological investigation of river Umshyrpi at Shillong, Meghalaya. Indian J. Hlth., 45(1) : 83-92.
- Reynolds, C.S. 1984. The ecology of freshwater phytoplankton. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 384 pp.
- Round, F.E., Crawford, R.M. and Mann, D.G. 1990.The Diatoms - Biology & Morphology of the genera. Cambridge University Press. Reprinted 2000. pp. 747.
- Sabata, B.C. and Nayar, M.P. 1987. Water Pollution Studies in river Hooghly in relation to phytoplankton. Proc. Con. Env. Impact on bio-system, Jan 16-18. pp. 1-5.
- Sabir, B., Muzaffar and Fakhruddin A. Ahamed. 2007. The effects of the flood cycle on the diversity and composition of the phytoplankton community of a seasonally flooded Ramsar wetland in Wetlands Ecology and Management, 15(2), 81-93. DOI.10.1007/s11273-006-9014-6.
- Sampth Kumar, P.T. 1977. Further studies on the ecology of algae in the river Moosi, Hyderabad (India) with special reference to pollution and potential fertility of the water. D., Thesis, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- Shardendu and R.S. Ambasht. 1991. Impact of Urban surroundings on some limnobiological characteristics of tropical aquatic ecosystem, Acta Hydrochim.
- Sheehan, J.P. 1984. Effects of pollutants on community and ecosystem structure and dynamics. In: J.P. Shaheen, D.R. Miller, G.C. Butler and P. Bourdeau (Eds.), Effects of Pollutants at the Ecosystem Levels. John Wiley Sons Ltd., New York, 51-99.
- Sinha, S.K. 1995. Potability of some rural ponds water at Muzzaffarpur (Bihar) - A Note on water quality index. Res., 14(1) : 135-140.
- Swarnalatha, N. and Narasinga Rao, A. 1993. Ecological investigation of two lentic environments with reference to Cyanobacteria and Water Pollution. International Journal of Microbiology and Ecology., 3, pp 41-48.
- Tripathi, K. and Pandey, S.N. 1995. Water pollution. Ashish Publishing House, New Delhi, India.
- Trivedi, R.K. and P.K. Goel. 1986. Chemical and biological methods for water pollution studies. Environmental Publications, Aligarh.
- Venkateshwaralu, V. 1969a. An ecological study of the algae of the river Moosi, Hyderabad (India) with special reference to water pollution I. Physico-chemical complexes. , 33(1) : 117-143.
- Welch, P.S. 1948. A text book of Limnological methods. McGraw Hill, New York, USA.
- Wetzel, R.G. 2001. Limnology lakes and rivers eco system. 3rd, Academic, USA Press.
- Zalewski, M., Janauer, G.A. and Jolankai, G. (1997) Conceptual background. cohydrology. IHP-V, UNESCO. pp. 7-18.
- Zutshi, D.P. and A.U. Khan. 1988. Eutrophic gradient in Dal lake, Kashmir. Indian Environ Hlth., 30(4) : 348-354
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 286-292
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162450
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
N. B. Mruthyunjaya, M.Venkateshwarlu, B. R. Kiran, D. S. Somashekar, "Diversity of Phytoplankton in Ayyanakere Lake, Chikmagalur District, Karnataka", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.286-292, July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162450