Home > Archives > IJSRST162451
Correlation Analysis of Irrigation Water Quality parameter from the major rivers in the Amansie West District, Ashanti Region, Ghana
Authors(5) :-Gabriel W. Quansah, Joseph Fening, Kwabena Nketia, Eric Asamoah, Ekow Gaisie
A research was conducted at Amansie West District in the Ashanti Region of Ghana to establish the correlation between irrigation water quality parameters from the major rivers and their tributaries. Data collected were subjected to statistical analysis SPSS version 20. Pearson correlation coefficient was estimated to test the degree of relationship between irrigation water quality parameters. There was positive correlation between SAR and Ca, Mg, K, Na, ECw, and TDS except the ratio of Ca: Mg which showed negative correlation. Analysis of the correlation between SAR and HCO3 and CO32- is highly recommended.
Gabriel W. Quansah, Joseph Fening, Kwabena Nketia, Eric Asamoah, Ekow Gaisie
Irrigation, Water Quality, Correlation, Rivers
- Akabzaa T. and Darimani A. (2001) - Impact of Mining Sector Investment in Ghana: A Study of the Tarkwa Mining Region, SAPRI, Accra.
- Alagbe, S. A. (2006). Preliminary evaluation of hydrochemistry of the Kalambaina formation, Sokoto Basin, Nigeria, Environmental Geology. 51, 39-45.
- Amfo-Otu, R. Wiafe, E. D., Kocke, B. B. (2011). Assessment of water quality in Ahor Lake-Ghana. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology Volume 5(12) pp. 1093-1099).
- Ayres, R. S., Westcot D.W., (1985). Water Quality for Agriculture. Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. 29. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome. p. 1-117.
- Chiroma T. M., Ebewele R. O. and Hymore F. K. (2004). Comparative assessment of heavy metal levels in soil, vegetables and urban grey waste water used for irrigation in Yola and Kano. International Journal of Engineering and Science. P. 01-09.
- Dock, L., 2005. Mining and Environment. Acid Mine Drainage and its effects on the environment. University Lecture Notes. Lulea, Sweden.
- Quansah, G., Sadick, A., Fening, J., Nketia, K. and Asamoah, E. (2016). Effect of Illegal Mining Activities on Water Resources for Irrigation Purposes, Amansie West District, Ghana. International Journal of Scientific Research, Engineering and Technology. (Under Review)
- Ghana Chamber of Mines (2008) - Factoid, www.ghanachamberofmines.org
- Gupta, P.K. (2005). Methods in Environmental Analysis: Water, Soil and Air. Agrobios, Jodhpur, India, pp. 1-127.
- Koryak, M., 1997. Origins and ecosystem degradation impacts of acid mine drainage. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Available at http://www.army.mil/misc/AMD_Impacts.htm. Accessed (24/11/2007).
- Michael, A. M. (1992). Irrigation Theory and Practices. Vikash Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, India. pp. 686- 740.
- Pallant, J.( 2011). SPSS Survival Manual: A Step by Step Guide to Data Analysis Using SPSS fourth Edition. Allen & Unwin, Australia.
- Raihan, F. and Alam, J.B. (2008). Assessment of groundwater quality in Sunamganj of Bangladesh. Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science & Engineering. 5, 155-166.
- Richards, L. A. (1954). Diagnosis and Improvement of Saline and Alkali Soils, U. S. Department of Agriculture Handbook, Vol. 60, Washington D. C., USA. p.160.
- Ripley, E.A., 1996. Environmental effect of Mining. Delray Beach, St Lucie press. Florida, USA.
- K.P., A. Malik. D. Mohan and S. Sinha. (2004). Multivariate Statistical Techniques for the Evaluation of Spatial and Temporal Variations in Water Quality of Gomti River (India) - a Case Study. Water Research, 38 (18): 3980-3992.
-  UNEP (United Nations Environment Program), 1997. Industry and environment, mining and sustainable development. Available at http://www.uneptie.org/vol20no4.html
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 255-258
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162451
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Gabriel W. Quansah, Joseph Fening, Kwabena Nketia, Eric Asamoah, Ekow Gaisie, "Correlation Analysis of Irrigation Water Quality parameter from the major rivers in the Amansie West District, Ashanti Region, Ghana", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.255-258, July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162451