Home > Archives > IJSRST1624522
The Technical Teacher, Teaching and Technology: Grappling with the Internationalization of Education in Nigeria
Authors(3) :-Okworo Gibson Samuel, Caleb E. E., Touitou Tina C.
This paper discussed the challenges faced by the technical teacher in the light of heightened societal expectations. The identity and functions of the technical teacher is changing with respect to new trade areas and skills occasioned by new technologists, objectives of education, new policy thrust tilting towards entrepreneurship as well as the issues of internalization of education. These issues are discussed in details using relevant subheadings. It is concluded that the technical teacher, then, needs to be knowledgeable himself, improving on his skills, knowledge and experience for him to be able to impart new and relevant skills to the students. Until the education of the teacher is taken as paramount as that of the student, no student will ever be better than his/her teacher. It was recommended amongst others that the ministry of education should engage in periodic training of technical teachers on new trends in their chosen fields, to improve their knowledge of their chosen professions and the ministry of education should consider credit transfer system for the west African sub region, where a student can start a technical course in Nigeria and finish in any other participating country in west Africa.
Okworo Gibson Samuel, Caleb E. E., Touitou Tina C.
Education; Quality of teaching; Technical Teacher; Technology; Globalization
- Asia-Pacific Centre of Educational Innovation for Development (1996). Partnerships in Teacher Development for a New Asia, pp. 391–2, Bangkok, UNESCO. Report of an International Conference organized by UNESCO and UNICEF in association with the Office of the National Education Commission, Thailand, held in Bangkok, 6 – 8 December 1995.
- (1996). The Development of Education. National reports presented at the 45th session of the International Conference on Education. Toronto, Council of Ministers of Education .
- Eugeniusz Stanislaw (2012). The Professional Role of a Teacher in the Era of Globalization on the Example of Poland. Educational Research eJournal. 1(1): 61-70
- Graham, A. & Phelps, R. ( 2003). Being a teacher: developing teacher identity and enhancing practice through metacognitive and reflective learning processes , Australian Journal of Teacher Education, Sydney , Austaralia. 27 (2): 11-24.
- Harden, R.M and Crosby, J (2000). The Good Teacher is more than a Lecturer. The Twelve Roles of the Teacher. Medical Teacher, 22(4):334-347.
- Kirimi, J.K and Wycliffe, A. (2013). Teacher’s Productivity in Promoting Quality Education in Public Secondary Schools in Kenya. Academic Journal of Interdiciplinary Studies, 2(2):365-378.
- Thach, L., & Woodman, R. W. (1994). Organizational Change and Information Technology: Managing on the Edge of Cyberspace. Organizational Dynamics, 23 (1): 30-46.
- Mahmood, T. (2013). Assessing the Pedagogical Competencies of Teacher Educators in the Teacher Education Institute of Pakistan. 2(1)
- Muir-Herzig, R.M. (2004). Technology and its impact in the classroom. Computers & Education, 42, 111-131.
- O’Sullivan, E. (2008). Finding our way in the great work. Journal of Transformative Education, 6, 27-32.
- World Education Report (1998). Teachers and teaching in a changing world. United Nations
- Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Place de Fontenoy, Paris.
- Yang, B. (2004), Holistic Learning Theory and Implications for Human Resource Development, Advances in Developing Human Resources, 6, 241. SAGE, online version: http://adh.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/6/2/241.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 259-265
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1624522
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Okworo Gibson Samuel, Caleb E. E., Touitou Tina C., "The Technical Teacher, Teaching and Technology: Grappling with the Internationalization of Education in Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.259-265, July-August-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1624522