Home > Archives > IJSRST162460
Comparative Advantage of Fresh Agricultural Products for Export in Jiroft (Little India of Iran)
Authors(1) :-Mohsen Madahinasab
Based on a wide range of native and foreign information banks and questionnaire resources, the current study accomplished use of a two-stage cluster sampling to investigate the comparative advantage and supportive coefficients of Exportable fresh fruit (citrus fruits and Cucurbits crops) from Jiroft in the south of Kerman Province, Iran, in the cultivation years 2012-13. After DRC (domestic resources cost) was determined via three currency scenarios (governmental, swapping and faire market). The results demonstrated advantage of producing citrus fruits in all the scenarios and Cucurbits crops in the two latter scenarios. Conforming to supportive coefficients, governmental interposition in crop market thwarts the subsidization process indirectly; the government’s indirect or hidden taxes on the products had a negative impact on the so-called positive governmental supports. In all, this resulted in EPC<1, being reflected in the interchanging and faire market currency scenarios. Regarding the comparative advantage of producing these crops under the faire currency conditions, the more the government interferences through pricing and allocation of governmental currency, the more decrease happen in the comparative advantage; this has caused an inappropriate and unbalanced support for inputs and crops. Accordingly, if the real exchange rate is fixed and the governmental interference in pricing is reduced, an actual economic value will be gained with production of these crops.
Supportive Policies, Policy Analysis Matrix, Cucurbits, Citrus Fruits
- Anania, G. 1997. Policy choices and interdependence of country decisions in the implementation of the 1994 GATT Agreement on agriculture. European Review of Agricultural Economics, 24(2): 161-181.
- Azizi, J. and Yazdani, S. 2004. Determining the comparative advantage of main horticultural products of Iran. Agricultural Economics and Development, 12(46): 41-73.
- Balali, H. and Karamatzade, A. 2007. Supportive indices of production and export walnut product in the world market. Paper presented at the Sixth Conference of Agricultural Economy of Iran, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad.
- Briones, R.M. 2014. Estimates of Domestic Resource Cost in Philippines Agriculture.
- Gonzales, L.A. 1993. Economic incentives and comparative advantage in Indonesian food crop production (Vol. 93). Washengton. D.C: Intl Food Policy Res Inst.
- Karbasi, A., Karimkoshte, M. and Hashemitabar, M. 2005. Comparative Advantage irrigated cotton production in Golestan Province. Agricultural Economics and Development, 13(50): 51-86.
- Masters, W.A. and WinterNelson, A. 1995. Measuring the comparative advantage of agricultural activities: domestic resource costs and the social cost-benefit ratio. American journal of agricultural economics, 77(2): 243-250.
- Mehdipoor, E. 2006. Comparative Advantageof potato production in Iran. Agricultural Sciences, 12(1): 15-25.
- Mohamadi, D. 2004. Determining the comparative advantage of oilseeds and investigating the problems of production in Fars province. Agricultural Economics and Development, 12(47): 125-151.
- Sagheb, H. 2005. Evaluation of supportive policies in the agricultural sector using Policy Analysis Matrix: A Case Study of kiwi in northern Iran. The Quarterly RESEARCH REVIEW of Commerce, 9(35): 153-176.
- Saii, M. 2011. Effect of Protective Policies onComparative Advantage of the Most Important Vegetables in Jiroft Area. Journal of Economics and Agricultural Development, 25(2).
- Salimifar, M. and MirzaiiKhalilabadi, S. 2002. Production and ExportComparative Advantage of Iran's Pistachio. Agricultural Economics and Development, 10(38): 7-28.
- Torkaman, N. 2004. Marketing matters of dates in Iran. Business reviews, 4(6): 82-93.
- Yao, S. 1997. Comparative advantages and crop diversification: a policy analysis matrix for Thai agriculture. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 48(1?3): 211-222.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 87-91
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162460
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Mohsen Madahinasab, "Comparative Advantage of Fresh Agricultural Products for Export in Jiroft (Little India of Iran)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.87-91, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162460