Home > Archives > IJSRST162462
Evaluation of Resource Needs and Service Delivery of Performance Contracting in Public Primary Teachers Training Colleges in Kenya
Authors(4) :-Simon K Kipkenei, Judah Ndiku, Julius Maiyo, Rodgers Cherui
Performance contract as a branch of management science refers to a management control systems which is a contractual agreement to execute a service according to an agreed upon terms, within an established time period and with a stipulated use of resources and performance standards. The government of Kenya introduced performance contract signing in 2004. The aim was to improve service delivery and resource utilization in public institutions among other objectives. The introduction of performance contracting in public primary teachers training colleges was an effort to institute a framework of accountability and enhance service delivery in Kenya. This study sought to establish the availability of resources for implementing Performance contracting with an aim of improving service delivery to the public. It employed descriptive survey design. The target population was 2270 employees and 783 members of the students' councils of Public Primary Teachers Training Colleges. Purposive sampling, simple random sampling and stratified random sampling were used to identify the sample population. A total of 429 respondents formed the sample size representing 30% of the study population. The study revealed several challenges in the implementation process which included lack of funds, lack of training and capacity building of employees regarding performance contracting, ambiguity in the process and resistance by personnel to participate in the process hence these challenges had hindered the successful implementation of Performance contracts in PPTTCs. It is recommended that performance contracting strategy should be strengthened with the availing of more financial resources to ensure that the required learning and teaching resources are all made available.
Simon K Kipkenei, Judah Ndiku, Julius Maiyo, Rodgers Cherui
Ranking, Resources, Targets, Tutors, Service Delivery, Training.
- Abdulkaram A, Fasasi V, Akinubi O (2011). Human Resource Utilization & Internal Efficiency in State owned Universities in Nigeria. Int. J. Acad. Res. Bus. Soc. Sci. 1(1).
- Afolabi S. O (2005). 'Influence of Resource Utilization on Organizational Effectiveness in Kwara State Government Owned Tertiary Institutions.' Unpublished P.hD thesis. Retrieved online on 10/11/2012.
- Carmines, E. G and Zeller, R.G (1999). Reliability and Validity assessment. Bevery Hills, CA: Sage publications.
- Darma, N.A (2013). Examining performance contract in Nigeria: Retrieved on 24th July 2013, posted on March 9, 2013.
- Gathai, E.W et al (2012).Analysis of factors that influence implementation of performance contracts in state corporations (A case of Kenya civil Aviation Authority) international journal of Humanities and social sciences Vol2 17 Nairobi Kenya.
- GOK (2005). Office of the president: Performance contract steering committee, sensitization manual, Government printers, Nairobi, Kenya.
- GOK (2005). Information booklet on performance contracts in the public service. Directorate of personnel management.
- GOK (2011). A strategy for performance improvement in the public service. Government printers Nairobi, Kenya.
- GOK (2012). Report on Evaluation of the performance of public agencies for the financial year 2010/2011 Government Printer; Nairobi.
- Hardina, D, Middleton, J, Montana, S and Simpson, R. A (2007).An empowering approach to managing social service organizations. Springer publishing company, New Nerk.
- Kobia, M & Mohammed, N (2006).The Kenyan experience with performance contracting. Discussion paper, 28th AAPAM .Annual roundtable conferences Tanzania 4th-8thDec 2006.Arusha, Tanzania.
- Korir, P.K.(2006). The impact of performance in state The case of East Africa Portland Cement. An unpublished MBA Management Project. University of Nairobi, Nairobi.
- Mugenda, and Mugenda, A (1999). Research Methods, qualitative approaches; Acts press,
- Musa, M (2001). Economic Recovery Strategies for wealth and employment creation 2003-2007. Civil service reform Agenda Africa.
- Nyongesa, W.J, Sewe, T. and Naiange, A. (2012). Challenges facing the implementation of performance contracts in state corporations in Kenya: Unpublished: Masai Mara University. Narok, Kenya.
- Obongo, S.O (2000). Transferring new public management to development countries. The case of civil service reforms in Kenya. Manchester, U.S.A.
- Obongo, O. S (2009). Implementation of performance contracting in Kenya. International Public Management Review. Electronic Journal at http:// ipmr.net Vol. 10.Issue 2009.
- O’Connor, T. (2011). “Sampling,” megalinks in criminal Retrieved from http://www.drtomoconnor.com/3760/lec03.htm. October 10, 2015.
- OECD (1997). Issues and development in pubic management. Paris, France.
- Omboi, B.M (2011). Factors affecting implementation of performance contract initiative at Municipal council of Maua- Kenya. Research journal of Finance and accounting Vol 1. Kenya Methodist University, Kenya.
- Orodho (2002, 2003). Essentials of educational and Social Sciences Research method. Masola Publishers, Nairobi.
- Pablo, T. S (1993). An institutional theory of public contracts; Regulatory implications. Website; http://www.nber.org/papers/w14152.
- Performance Contracts Steering Committee, Kenya, (2004): Sensitization/Training Manual on Performance Contracts in the Public Service.
- Republic of Kenya, (2003). Economic Recovery strategy for wealth and Employment creative (2003-2007). Nairobi. Office of the president.
- Republic of Kenya, (2005). Sensitization/ Training Manual on performance contracts in the public service. Government Printer. Nairobi
- RoK (2007). State corporations ranking evaluation: Office of the president. Government printers, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Republic of Kenya (2010). Review of performance contracting in the public sector, Government Printers Nairobi.
- Republic of Kenya (2014). Report on evaluation of the performance of public agencies, Government Printers, Nairobi.
- RoK (2012). Performance contracting guidelines on the vision 2030 project indicators. Government printers, Nairobi Kenya.
- Scott, W.R (2001). Institute and organizations. (2nd) Sage publication inc.California.
- Umunadi EK (2012). Resource Management and Planning in Vocational and technical Education for National Development: An Assessment. Afr. J. Educ. Technol. 2(1):48-59.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 4 | July-August 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 274-285
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162462
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Simon K Kipkenei, Judah Ndiku, Julius Maiyo, Rodgers Cherui, "Evaluation of Resource Needs and Service Delivery of Performance Contracting in Public Primary Teachers Training Colleges in Kenya", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 4, pp.274-285, July-August-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162462