Home > Archives > IJSRST16254
Genetic parameter estimation of pre weaning growth traits of Fogera cattle at Metekel ranch, northwest Ethiopia
Authors(3) :-Almaz Bekele, Aynalem Haile , Zewdu Wuletaw
Data collected from 1988 to 2011 at Metekel Ranch, Ethiopia was used to estimate genetic parameters of growth traits of Fogera cattle. The data set used for analysis consisted of 5513, 3223 and 3223 records for BWT, AWWT, and PADG, respectively. Four animal models were used fitting direct animal (Model1), direct animal and permanent environmental (Model2), direct and maternal genetic (Model3), and all the above random effects (Model4). Heritability values and additive variances for all traits were low. Estimates of direct heritability of growth performance traits from the best model were 0.03 Â± 0.02, 0.06 Â± 0.03 and 0.05 Â± 0.03 for BWT, AWWT and PADG respectively. The phenotypic correlation between growth traits ranged from -0.10 Â± 0.02 for BWT and PADG to 0.99 Â± 0.01 for AWWT and PADG and genetic correlation ranged from 0.5 Â± 0.27 for BWT and PADG to 0.99 Â± 0.00 for AWWT and PADG. The low heritability estimates might be indication of low genetic conÂ¬trol of the expression of a trait and this might also be an indication of presence of high environmental effects influence.
Almaz Bekele, Aynalem Haile , Zewdu Wuletaw
Fogera Breed, Metekel Ranch, Growth Traits, Genetic Parameter
- Abdullah AR and Olutogun O (2006). Estimates of genetic and phenotypic parameters for pre weaning growth traits of N’Dama (Bos taurus) calves in the humid tropics of Nigeria. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 18, Article #120. Retrieved December 10, 2010, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd18/8/abdu18120.htm.
- Addisu B and Getinet M (2008). Survey of the productivity of Fogera cattle under the traditional husbandry practices around Lake Tana. Proceeding of 2nd Annual conference of completed Research forum of Amhara Agricultural Institute. August 28-30, 2008. Bahir Dar, Ethiopia.
- Addisu B and Hegde BP (2003). Evaluation of reproductive and growth performance of Fogera cattle and their F1-Friesian cross at Metekel Ranch, Ethiopia. Proceedings of the 10th annual conference of the Ethiopian Society of Animal Production (ESAP) held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ESAP, Addis Ababa.pp119-126.
- Arendonk JV, Bijm P, Bovenhuis H, Crooijmans R and Tende TVD (2010). Animal breeding and genetics lecture notes. Wagenningen University, Wageningen, Netherlands.pp230.
- Sewalem A (1992). Evaluation of reproductive performance and preweaning growth performance of Fogera cattle and their F1 crosses at Andassa cattle breeding Ranch. M. Sc. Thesis, Alemaya University of Agriculture, Dire Dawa, Ethiopia. pp47
- Assan N (2012). Genetic Parameters Estimation and Trends for Birth Weight in Cattle. J Anim Sci Adv. 2(Suppl. 3.1): 274-281.
- Aynalem H, Joshi BK, workineh A, Azage T and Singh A (2010). Genetic evaluation of Ethiopian Boran cattle and their crosses with Holstein Friesian for growth performance in central Ethiopia. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. ISSN 0931-2668.
- Bosso NA, van der Waaij EH, Agyemang K and van Arendonk JAM (2009). Genetic parameters for growth traits in N’Dama cattle under tsetse challenge in the Gambia. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 21, Article #33. Retrieved November 26, 2011, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd21/3/boss21033.htm.
- Bourdon MR (1999). Understanding animal breeding. 2nd/ED. Upper saddle River NJ07458, Colorado State University.pp538.
- Cucco DC, Ferraz JBS, Pinto LFB, Eler JP, Balieiro JCC and Mattos EC (2009). Genetic parameters for preweaning traits in Braunvieh cattle. Genetics and Molecular Research 8 (1): 291-298.
- Diop M and Van Vleck LD (1998). Estimates of genetic parameters for growth traits of Gobra cattle. Jornal of Animal Science, 66: 349-355.
- Goyache F and Gutierez J P (2001). Heritability of reproductive traits in Asturiana de los Valles beef cattle breed. Arch. Tierz., Dummerstorf Vol 44(5): 489-496.
- Gunawan A and Jakaria (2011). Genetic and Non-Genetics Effect on Birth, Weaning, and Yearling Weight of Bali Cattle. J. Anim. Sci 43: 93-98.
- Habtamu A, Solomon A and Yosphe (2011). Genetic parameter estimates of preweaning weight of Horro (Zebu) and their crosses with Holstein Friesian and Jersey cattle breeds in Ethiopia. International Journal of Livestock Production Vol. 2(6): 84-91.
- Javed K, Mohiuddin G and Akhtar P (2001). Heritability estimates of some productive traits in Sahiwal cattle. Pakistan J., 21(3): 114-117.
- Lobo RNB, Madalena FE and Vieira A R (2000). Average estimates of genetic parameters for beef and dairy cattle in tropical regions. Anim. Breed. 68: 433-462.
- Melaku M, Zeleke M, Getinet M and Mengistie T (2011a). Preweaning growth performances of Fogera calves at Metekel cattle improvement and multiplication ranch, North West Ethiopia. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 23, Article #182. Retrieved November 25, 2011, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd23/9/mela23182.htm.
- Melaku M, Zeleke M, Getinet M and Mengistie T (2011b). Reproductive Performances of Fogera Cattle at Metekel Cattle Breeding and Multiplication Ranch, North West Ethiopia. J. Anim. Feed Res., 1(3): 99-106.
- Meyer K (1992). Variance components due to direct and maternal effects for growth traits of Australian beef cattle. Livestock Production Science. 31: 179- 204.
- Meyer k (2005). Estimates of genetic covariance functions for growth of Angus cattle. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 122 : 73-85.
- Meyer K (2007). WOMBAT – A tool for mixed model analyses in quantitative genetics by REML. J. Zhejiang Uni. science B 8: 815–821. [doi:10.1631/jzus.2007.B0815].
- Mohammed A (2004). Estimates of genetic parameters of birth weight, age at first calving and milk production traits in Holstein Friesian dairy herds kept in three state farms. An MSc Thesis presented to School of Graduate studies of Alemaya University, p. 89.
- Pico BA (2004). Estimation of genetic parameters for growth traits in South African Brahman cattle. MSc Thesis, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, South African.
- Plasse D, Verde O, Fossi H, Romero R, Hoogesteijn R, Bastidas P and Bastardo J (2002a). (Co)variance components, genetic parameters and annual trends for calf weights in a pedigree Brahman herd under selection for three decades. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 119, 141-153.
- Plasse D, Verde O, Arango J, Camaripano L, Fossi H, Romero R, Rodriguez CM and Rumbos JL (2002b). (Co)variance components, genetic parameters and annual trends for calf weights in a Brahman herd kept on floodable savanna. Genet. Mol. Res. 1(4), 282-297.
- Rabaya T, Bhuiyan AKFH, Habib MA and Hossain MS (2009). Phenotypic and genetic parameters for growth traits in Red Chittagong Cattle of Bangladesh. J. Bangladesh Agril. Univ. 7(2): 265-271.
- Ronningen K, Lampkin K and Gravir K (1972). Zebu cattle in East-Africa. 2. Estimates of heritability and phenotypic correlation for some traits in Boran cattle. Swedish J. Agri. Res., 2:218-228.
- Sendros D, Neser FWC and Schoeman SJ (2003). Variance components and genetic parameters for early growth traits in a mixed population of purebred Bos indicus and crossbred cattle. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 84:1- 11.
- Shehu DM, Oni OO, Olorunju SAS, and Adeyinka IA (2008). Genetic and phenotypic parameters for body weight of Sokoto Gudali (Bokoloji) cattle. Int. Jor. P. App. Scs., 2: 64-67.
- Wasike CB (2006). Genetic evaluation of growth and reproductive performance of the Kenya Boran cattle. MSc Thesis. Egerton University, Kenya.pp108
- Wasike CB, Ilatsia ED, Ojango JMK and Kahi AK (2006). Genetic parameters for weaning weights of Kenyan Boran cattle accounting for direct-maternal genetic covariances, South African J of Ani Science, 36, 275–281.
- Wasike CB, Indetie D, Ojango JMK and Kahi AK (2009). Direct and maternal (co)variance components and genetic parameters for growth and reproductive traits in the Boran cattle in Kenya. Trop Anim Health Prod. 41:741–748
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 15-21
Manuscript Number : IJSRST16254
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Almaz Bekele, Aynalem Haile , Zewdu Wuletaw , "Genetic parameter estimation of pre weaning growth traits of Fogera cattle at Metekel ranch, northwest Ethiopia ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.15-21, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST16254