Home > Archives > IJSRST162540
Well-being of Orphans : A Review on their Mental Health Status
Authors(2) :-Akshita Singh, Dr. Suvidha
After reviewing almost twenty latest research studies conducted both in India and abroad related to the assessment of mental health among orphans placed in institutions, it was found that orphans ranked high in negative emotions like: depression, distress, anxiety behaviour and emotional disorders, hyperactivity, abnormal pro social behaviour, peer problem, phobias, post traumatic disorder and aggressiveness. Orphans were found to be highly at risk to psychological disorders as compared to their non-orphans. Studies have revealed the prevalence of overall social emotional and behaviour problems deep rooted in the early experience of these children. Loss of attachment and lack of parental love, care and affection have some or the other way contributed to deteoriate their mental health in later life. Study also concluded that beside degenerating mental health and leading to various psychological and psychiatric disorders, orphanhood also leads to drug addiction and evolution of suicidal tendencies among the orphans. The study concludes that there is an immediate need of supporting framework in the form of intervention programme or module to cater the needs of such vulnerable groups so that they could be availed with the suitable services and advantaged overall.
Akshita Singh, Dr. Suvidha
Mental Health, Orphan, Well Being
- Ali,Y.F.,Banna,E.A,.Youssef,U.M.,Raya,Y.M.,Ismail,A.A.(2012). Psychiatric morbidity among a sample of orphanage children in Caire. International journal of paediatrics. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2012/141854.
- Asfawesen,S.,Aregay,A.,Berhe,H.(2013). Prevalence of psychological distress and associated factors among AIDS orphan adolescents in Mekellecity,Tigray,NorthernEthopia: Cross sectional study. Journal of medical sciences,3(7).260-269. Retrieved from www.gjournals .org
- Bhatt,A.A.,Rahman,S.,Bhatt,N.M.(2015). Mental health issues in institutionalized adolescent orphans. International journal of Indian psychology,3(1).57-77. Retrieved from http://www.ijip.in.
- Bhatt,N.M.(2014).A study of Emotional Stability and Depression in Orphan Secondary school students.InternationalJournal of Education and Psychological Research (IJEPR),3(2), 95-100.
- Cluver,L.,Gardner.(2007). The mental health of children orphaned by AIDS: a review of International and southern African research. Journal of child and adolescent mental health,19(1), 1-17. EISSN 1728-0591.
- Fawzy,N.,Fouad.A.(2010). Psychosocial and development status of orphanage children: Epidemiological study. Journal of current psychology,17(2).41-48. ISSN:1110-5925.
- Ibrahim,A.,EL-Bilsha,M.A.,EL-Gilany,A.H.,&Khater,M.(2012).Prevalence and predictors of depression among orphans in Dakahlia’sorphanages,Egypt.Internal Medicine and Public Health,4(12),2036-2043.
- Ijzendoorn,M.H.V.,Luijk,M.P.C.M.,Juffer,F.(2008).IQ of children growing up in children’s homes: A meta analysis on IQ delays in Orphanages. Merill-palmer quarterly,54(3).341-366.doi:10.1353/mpq.0.0002.
- Majid,R.,Khan,M.A.,&Khan,M.N.S.(2014).A comparative study of personality differences between orphans and non-orphans of Lahore.Unpublished thesis.
- Makame,V.,Ani,C.,Grantham,S.,Gregor,Mc.(2007). Psychological wellbeing of orphans in Dar-E-Salam,Tanzania. Journal of Acta Paediatric.459-465.Stockholm.ISSN0803-5253.
- Mostafaci,A.,Aminpoor,H.,Mohiadin,&Mohammadkhani.(2012).The comparison of happiness in orphanage and non orphanagechildren.Annals of Biological Research,3(8),4065-4069.Retrieved from http://scholarresearchlibrary.com/archieve.html.
- Nabunya ,P.,Ssewamala,F.M.(2014). The effects of parental loss on the psychosocial wellbeing of AIDS orphaned children living in AIDS impacted communities: does gender matter?. Children and youth services review.131-137. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.05.011.
- Naqshbandi,M.M., Sehgal,R.,&Hassan,F.U.,(2012).Orphans in orphanages of Kashmir and their psychological problems.International NGO Journal,7(3),55-63.Retrieved from www.academicjournals.org/INGOJ.doi: 10.5897/INGOJ12.016.
- Ngunu,S.N.(2011). Psychosocial problems and their impact on the academic achievement of orphans in selected primary schools in Nairoboi.Retrieved from http://ir-library.ku.ac.ke/handle/123456789/1427.
- Rahman,W.,Mullick,MSI.,Pathan,M.A.S.,Chowdhury,N.F.,Shahidullah,M.,Ahmed,H.,Roy,S.,Mazumder,A.H.,&Rehman,F.(2012). Prevalence of behavioural and emotional disorders among the orphans and factors associated with these disorders. BSMMU Journal,5(1), 29-34.
- R,S.,&Jacob,S.M.(2014). Study on emotional and behavioural problems among adolescent children in selected orphanages at Mangalore. Zenith International Journal of Multidisciplinary research,4(7),253-259. Retreivedfrom zenithresearch.org.in.
- Tadesse,S.,Dereje,F.&Belay,M.(2014).Psychological well-being of orphan and vulnerable children at orphanages in Gondar Town,North West Ethiopia.Journal of public health and epidemiology,6(10),293-301.Retrieved from http://www.academicjournals.org/JPHE.doi: 10.5897/JPHE2014.0648.
- Tsegaye,A.(2013). A comparative study of psychological wellbeing between orphan and non-orphan children in Addis Ababa: The case of three selected schools in Yeka sub-city. Unpublished thesis.
- Yendork,J.S.,Somhlaba,N.Z.(2015). Problems, coping and efficacy: An exploration of subjective distress in orphans placed in Ghanian orphanages. Journal of loss and trauma.509-525.doi:10.1080/15325024.2014.949160.
- Zhou,G.(2012).Understanding the psychological well-being of orphans and vulnerable children (OVC): The intersection of research and policy.Unpublised thesis.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 180-184
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162540
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Akshita Singh, Dr. Suvidha, "Well-being of Orphans : A Review on their Mental Health Status", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.180-184, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162540