Home > Archives > IJSRST162553
Nitriding Based Plasma for Some Alloys for Corrosion Protection in Saline Water at Different Temperatures
Authors(2) :-Khulood A. Saleh, Ahmed H. Al-Jobouri
In this research a new physical deposition methods has been chosen, nitriding based plasma is an economical method to improve the corrosion resistance of three types of alloys (CS1045,CS1137and Al5083 alloy), CS means Carbon Steel & Al means Aluminum alloys. The morphological analysis was carried out using atomic force microscopy (AFM).
The corrosion protection efficiency inspection of each specimen in saline water (3.5%NaCl) at different temperatures (25, 35, 45 & 55) have been evaluated using potentiostatic techniques with three electrodes cell. Nitride ion is deposited on the three alloys and then we studied the extent of this corrosion resistance. The results showed that deposition of N2 gas as nitride ion caused to protection efficiency reached to72.77% for CS1045,61.93% for CS1137 and 90.28% for Al5083 respectively in 25 . Change in the enthalpy of activation & entropy of activation were evaluated. Apparent energies of activation have been calculated for the corrosion process of uncoated and coated alloys by nitriding based plasma technique in saline water (3.5% NaCl).
Khulood A. Saleh, Ahmed H. Al-Jobouri
Carbon Steel, Aluminum, Corrosion, Plasma, Nitriding, Polarization.
- Eddy, N.O.; Mamza, P.A.P.; 2009, "Inhibitive and adsorption properties of ethanol extract of seeds and leaves of Azadirachtaindica on the corrosion of mild steel in H2SO4". Port. Electrochim. Acta 27, 4, 443–456.
- Szklarska _ Smiaowska, Z., 1986. Pitting Corrosion of Metal". Houston: National Association of Corrosion Engineers, p. 201.
- Hochman, R.F.;Hillary, S.L.;Legg, K.O. Ion implantation and plasma assisted processes. Proceedings of the Conference on Ion Implantation and Plasma Assisted Processes for Industrial Applications, Atlanta, Georgia, May 22-25, 1988, ASM International,Metals Park,OH, 1988.
- Czerwiec, T.; Renevier, N.; Michel, H. Low-temperature plasma-assisted nitriding. Surf. Coat. Technol. 2000, 131, 267-277.
- Berghaus, B. Process for Surface Treatment of Metallic Elements. German Patent DRP 668639, 1932.
- Berghaus, B. Vacuum Furnace, Heated by Glow Discharge. German patent DRP 851540, 1939.
- Conrad, J. R.; Radtke, J. L.; Dodd, R. A.; Worzala, F. J.; and Tran, N. C. Plasma source ion?implantation technique for surface modification of materials, J. Appl. Phys. 62, 4591(1987).
- Collins, G. A.; Hutchings, R.; Tendys, J.; Samandi, M. Advanced surface treatments by plasma ion implantation, Surf. Coat. Technol., 68/69, 285(1994).
- Michel,H.; Czerwiec, T.; Gantois, M.; Ablitzer, D.; Ricard, A. Progress in analysis of the mechanisms of ion nitriding. Surf. Coat. Technol. 1995, 72, 103-111.
- Petitjean, L.; Ricard, A. Emission-spectroscopy study of N2-H2 glow-discharge for metal surface nitriding. J. Phys. D1984, 17 , 919-929.
- Leyland, A.; Fancey, K.S.; James, A.S.; Matthews, A. Enhanced plasma nitriding at low-pressuresa comparative study of DC and RF techniques. Surf. Coat. Technol. 1990, 41, 295-304.
- Rsnak, K.; Vlcek, J. Emission-spectroscopy of the plasma in the cathode region of N2-H2 abnormal glow-discharges for steel surface nitriding. J. Phys. 1993, D 26, 585-589.
- Ricard, A.; Deschamps, J.; Godard, J. L.; Falk, L.; Michel, H. Nitrogen atoms in Ar-N2 flowing microwave discharges for steel surface nitriding. Mater. Sci. Eng. 1991, A139, 9-14.
- Oseguera, J.; Salas, O.; Figueroa, U.; Palacios, M. Evolution of the surface concentration during discharge nitriding. Surf. Coat. Technol. 1997, 94/95, 587-591.
- Totten, G.E.; Howes, M.A.H. Steel Heat Treatment Handbook; Marcel Dekker. Inc.; New York, 1997.
- Asan, A.; 2012, M.Sc. Thesis"A Study in Protection of Corrosion by Using Nanoparticles (TiO2, SiO2) for Some Metals and Alloys ",College of Science for Women University of Baghdad.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 267-272
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162553
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Khulood A. Saleh, Ahmed H. Al-Jobouri, "Nitriding Based Plasma for Some Alloys for Corrosion Protection in Saline Water at Different Temperatures", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.267-272, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162553