Home > Archives > IJSRST162555
Effect of Seedling Type in Morphology and Quality of Brutian pine (Pinus brutia Ten.) Seedlings
Authors(2) :-Cagla Yilmazer, Nebi Bilir
This study was carried out on Brutian Pine (Pinus brutia
Ten.) which was one of the most important tree species of Turkish Forestry to contribute nursery and plantation practices of the species. Seedling height and root-collar diameter were examined in 1+0 year of Brutian pine containerized and bare-root seedlings grown at Osmaniye Forest Nursery at the end of growing period of 2015. Seedling quality and relation between the characteristics were investigated.
Averages of seedling height and root-collar diameter were 16.61 cm and 4.71 mm in polled seedling type, respectively. While, they were 18.4 cm and 4.86 mm in bare-root seedlings, and 14.79 cm and 4.56 mm in containerized seedlings, respectively. There were significant differences (p≤0.05) between seedling types based on results of variance analysis. Seedlings were in high quality for both seedling types. The both classification was suitable for the seedlings according to results of Discriminant analysis. There were positive and significant (p≤0.05) relations between the characters based on results of correlation analysis. Results of the study were discussed for nursery and plantation practices of the species.
Cagla Yilmazer, Nebi Bilir
Afforestation, Height, Growth, Diameter, Nursery, Quality, Brutian pine
- Anonymous (2015), Forest inventory of Turkey. General Directorate of Forestry of Ankara,Turkey.
- Anonymous (1988), Seedling quality classification of coniferous. Turkish Standard Institute Press, Ankara,Turkey.
- Gezer, N. Bilir and S. Gulcu (2000), Quality classification of Scotcs pine (Pinus silvestris L.). Second Seedling Symposium, Ege University, 25-29 September, Izmir, Turkey.
- Ucler, S. Gulcu and N. Bilir (2000), Interaction between seed sources and seedling properties on Brutian pine (Pinus brutia) and Black pine (Pinus nigra) Second Seedling Symposium, Ege University, 25-29 September, Izmir, Turkey.
- Koc, N. Bilir (2014), “Morphological characteristics of Kazdagi fir (Abies equi-trojani aschers et sinten) seedlings”, Research and Review in Biosciences, 9, 322-325.
- Dutkuner, N. Bilir (2011), “Clonal repeatability for some seedling characters in Stone pine (Pinus pinea L.)”, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, 20, 484-488.
- Ozdamar (1999), Statistical analysis by package programs. Kaan Publishing, Eskisehir.
- Dilaver, N. Seyedi and N. Bilir (2015), “Seedling quality and morphology in seed sources and seedling type of Brutian pine (Pinus brutia Ten.)”, World Journal of Agricultural Research, 3, 83-85.
- Kizmaz (1993), “Research on the determination of quality classifications of Crimean pine seedlings”, Technical Bullettin of Forest Research Institute, 238-241, 7-36.
- Bilir (1997), . Nursery stage of provanence on lebanon cedar (Cedrus libani A.Rich) in Eastern Black Sea Region. Graduate School of Natural and Applied Science, Black Sea Technical University, MSc. Thesis, Trabzon, Turkey.
- Yazici, AA. Babalik (2011), “Determination of suitable irrigation interval for Anatolian Black pine (Pinus nigra Arn. subsp. Pallasiana (Lamb.) Holmboe.) seedlings”, Journal of Bartin Forestry Faculty, 13, 100-106.
- Yazici, AA. Babalik (2016), “Effect of irrigation density on seedling morphology in Taurus cedar (Cedrus libani A. Rich.”) International Journal of Sciences: Basic and Applied Research, 27, 211-218.
- Yazici, S. Ozhan and AA. Babalik (2011), “Determination of water consumption of crimean juniper (Juniperus excelsa Bieb.) seedlings and its relation with meteorological”, SDU Forestry Faculty Journal, 12, 84-88.
- T. Tebes, N. Seyedi and N. Bilir ( 2015), “Morphological characteristics and quality in Black pine (Pinus nigra Arnold. subsp. pallasiana) seedlings”, International Journal of Latest Research in Science and Technology, 4, 7-9.
- Grossnickle (2012), “Why seedlings survive: Importance of plant attributes”, New Forests, 43, 711-738.
- Eler, S. Keskin and E. Ortel (1993), “Determination of the quality classes of Lebanon Cedar (Cedrus libani A.Rich.) seedlings”, Journal of Forest Research Institute, 240
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 237-240
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162555
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Cagla Yilmazer, Nebi Bilir, "Effect of Seedling Type in Morphology and Quality of Brutian pine (Pinus brutia
Ten.) Seedlings", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.237-240, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162555