Home > Archives > IJSRST162558
Sire Evaluation and Genetic Trends of Pre-Weaning Growth Traits of Fogera Cattle at Metekel Ranch, Amhara, Region, Ethiopia
Authors(5) :-Almaz Bekele, Zewdu Wuletaw, Aynalem Haile, Solomon Gizaw, Getinet Mekuriaw
The Best Linear Unbiased prediction (BLUP) procedure of animal evaluation using WOMBAT was done for estimation of breeding values of sires. Estimated overall mean breeding values for BWT, AWWT and PADG were 0.046 Â± 0.23 kg, 0.26 Â± 2.4 kg and 0.0002 Â± 0.009kg, respectively. The trends of sire breeding values for all growth traits were negative. The hypothesis, selection based on phenotypic performance of animals can bring genetic progress in the herd was rejected and it is concluded that selection based on physical appraisal did not bring genetic progress. The selection method should be updated and must be based on genetic evaluation of individual animals. The coefficient of change in genetic trends for BWT, AWWT and PADG were -0.00134 Â± 0.0012 kg, -0.05 Â± 0.011 kg and -0.0001 Â± 0.000045 kg respectively. The reduction of genetic potential of sires over years implies that the selection method based on the physical appraisal was not efficient.
Almaz Bekele, Zewdu Wuletaw, Aynalem Haile, Solomon Gizaw, Getinet Mekuriaw
Fogera Breed, Growth Traits, Metekel Ranch, Sire Breeding Value.
- Addisu Bitew and Hegde B P 2003 Evaluation of reproductive and growth performance of Fogera cattle and their F1-Friesian cross at Metekel Ranch, Ethiopia. Proceedings of the 10th annual conference of the Ethiopian Society of Animal Production (ESAP) held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. ESAP, Addis Ababa.pp119-126.
- Aynalem Haile, Joshi B K, workinehi Ayalew, Azage Tegegne and Singh A 2010 Comparison of sire evaluation methods in Holstein Friesian in the central highlands of Ethiopia. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 80(12).
- Hofgren D L and Schinckel A P 1998 Within-herd genetic trends provide important information for breeders. In: Proceedings of the Swine day Symposium, University of Purdue: 185- 187.
- Javed K, Mohiuddin G and Akhtar P 2001 Heritability estimates of some productive traits in Sahiwal cattle. Pakistan J., 21(3): 114-117.
- Melaku Minale, Zeleke Mekuriya, Getinet Mekuriaw and Mengistie Taye 2011a Pre-weaning growth performances of Fogera calves at Metekel cattle improvement and multiplication ranch, North West Ethiopia. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 23, Article #182. Retrieved November 25, 2011, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd23/9/mela23182.htm.
- Melaku Minale, Zeleke Mekuriya, Getinet Mekuriaw and Mengistie Taye 2011b Reproductive Performances of Fogera Cattle at Metekel Cattle Breeding and Multiplication Ranch, North West Ethiopia. J. Anim. Feed Res., 1(3): 99-106.
- Mrode R A and Thompson R 2005 Linear models for the prediction of Animal Breeding values. Second edition. CABI Publishing. Oxon, UK.
- Plasse D, Verde O, Arango J, Camaripano L, Fossi H, Romero R, Rodriguez C M and
- Rumbos J L 2002 (Co) variance components, genetic parameters and annual trends for calf weights in a Brahman herd kept on floodable savanna. Genet. Mol. Res. 1(4), 282-297.
- Schaeffer L R 1983 Effectiveness of model for cow evaluation intraherd. J. Dairy Sci. 66:874-880.
- Singh A and Joshi B K 2003 Practical manual on animal breeding. Division of Dairy cattle breeding, National Dairy research institute, Karanal, India. pp213.
- Sun C, Madsen P, Nielsen U S, Zhang Y, Lund M S and Su G 2009 Comparison between a sire model and an animal model for genetic evaluation of fertility traits in Danish Holstein population. J. Dairy Sci. 92:4063-4071.
- Tseveenjav B, Maiwashe A, Golden B L and Blackburn H D 2001 Predicted rate of inbreeding for a closed line of Hereford cattle. Proc. Western Section. American Society of Animal Science. 52. Available at http://www.asaa.org/western/02proc/18984.doc.
- Wasike C.B 2006 Genetic evaluation of growth and reproductive performance of the Kenya Boran cattle. MSc Thesis. Egerton University, Kenya.pp108.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 319-322
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162558
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Almaz Bekele, Zewdu Wuletaw, Aynalem Haile, Solomon Gizaw, Getinet Mekuriaw, "Sire Evaluation and Genetic Trends of Pre-Weaning Growth Traits of Fogera Cattle at Metekel Ranch, Amhara, Region, Ethiopia", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.319-322, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162558