Home > Archives > IJSRST162570
Measurements of Intracellular Free Calcium on Cancer Cell Lines by the Effects of Crude Water-Soluble Extract of Momordica Charantia
Authors(1) :-Dr. Gunasekar Manoharan
The Momordica charantia
L., (family: Cucurbitaceae) is a scientific name of the plant and its fruit. It is also known by other names, for instance in the USA it is known as Bitter gourd or balsam pear while its referred to as the African cucumber in many African countries. This study was specifically designed to investigate the cellular mechanisms, whereby crude water soluble extracts of M. charantia
can induce cell death measuring the elevation in intracellular free calcium concentrations in four different cancer cell lines 1321N1, Gos-3, U-87 and Sk Mel.
The results show that incubation of the four cancer cell lines 1321N1, Gos-3,U-87 and Sk Mel with maximum concentrtion of 800 µg of crude water soluble extracts of M. charantia can result in significant (p < 0.05) time-dependent increases in [Ca2+]i in all four cancer cell lines compared to control (untreated) cells. Maximal increases in [Ca2+]i was attained after 420 min of incubation. In control (untreated cell lines), [Ca2+]i remained more or less stable in both cell lines after 420 min. The results also show that the increase in [Ca2+]i in Gos-3 cell line was much more pronounced following incubation with crude water soluble extracts of M. charantia compared to 1321N1 and U-87 cell line. The results show that incubation of the four cancer cell lines with crude water soluble extracts of M. charantia can result in significant (p < 0.05) time-dependent increases in [Ca2+]i in all four cancer cell lines compared to control (untreated) cells. Maximal increases in [Ca2+]i was attained after 420 min of incubation. In control (untreated cell lines), [Ca2+]i remained more or less stable in all four cell lines after 420 min. These results clearly show that crude water soluble extracts of M. charantia exerting its anti- cancer effect via an insult to the mitochondria resulting in apoptosis, calcium overloading and subsequently, cell death
Cancer Cells, Crude Water Soluble Extracts of M. Charantia, Intra Cellular Calcium, Cell Viability
- Koolman J and Klaus H (2005)Color Atlas of BiochemistryNew York, pp14- 19
- Johansson AC., Steen H., Ollinger K(2003) Cathepsin D mediates cytochrome c release and caspase activation in human fibroblast apoptosis induced by staurosporineCell, 57: 221-226
- Bootman MD., and Berridge MJ(1995)The elemental principles of calcium signalingCell, 83: 675-678.
- Bootman MD., and Lipp P(2001)Calcium, signalling and regulation of cell functionEncyclopaedia of Life Sciences Nature Publishing Group, pp1-7.
- Williams ME., Feldman DH., McCue AF., Brenner R., Velicelebi G., Ellis SB., and Harpold MM(1993)Structure and functional expression of alpha 1, alpha 2, and beta subunits of a novel human neuronal calcium channel subtypeNeuron, 8: 71– 84
- Irigoin F., Inda NM., Fernandes MP., Placenza L., and Gadelha FR(2009)Mitochondrial calcium overload triggers complement-dependent superoxide-mediated programmed cell death in Trypanosoma cruziBiochemistry, 15: 595-604
- Carafoli E(1994)The signalling function of calcium and its regulationJournal of The American Journal of Hypertension, 12: S47-S56.
- Jimenez N., and Hernandez-Cruz A(2001)Modifications of intracellular (Ca2+) signalling during nerve growth factor-induced neuronal differentiation of rat adrenal chromaffin cellsNeuroscience, 13: 487-500
- Robinson JM., Dong WJ., Xing J., and Cheung HC(2004)Switching of troponin I: Ca2+ and myosin-induced activation of heart muscleJournal of Molecular Biology, 340: 295–305.
- Tam PP., Law LK., and Yeung HW(1984)Effects of alpha-momorcharin on preimplantation development in the mouseJournal of Reproduction and Fertility, 71: 33-38.
- Tsao SW., Ng TB., and Yeung HW(1990)Toxicities of trichosanthin and alpha-momorcharin, abortifacient proteins from Chinese medicinal plants, on cultured tumor cell linesToxicology, 28:1183-1192.
- Vikrant V., Grover JK., Tandon N., Rathi SS., and Gupta N(2001)Treatment with extracts of Momordica charantia and Eugenia jambolana prevents hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia in fructose fed ratsJournal of Ethnopharmacology, 76: 139-143.
- Hajnoczky G., Csordas G., Madesh M., and Pacher P(2006)The machinery of local Ca2+ signalling between sarco-endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondriaJournal of Physiology, 529: 69–81.
- Bernardi P., Broekemeier KM., and Pfeiffer DR(1994)Recent progress on regulation of the mitochondrial permeability transition pore; a cyclosporin-sensitive pore in the inner mitochondrial membraneJournal of Biomembrane, 26: 509 –517
- Chandra D., Liu JW., and Tang DG(2002)Early mitochondrial activation and cytochrome c upregulation during apoptosisJournal of Biochemistry, 52: 50842-50845.
- Gati I., Bergstrom M., Muhr C., Langstrom B., and Carlsson J(1991)Application of (methyl-11C)-methionine in the multicellular spheroid systemJournal of Nucear Medicine, 32: 2258-2265.
- Makin G(2002)Targeting apoptosis in cancer chemotherapyExpert Opin Ther Targets, 6: 73-74.
- Ashkenazi A., and Dixit VM(1998)Death receptors: signalling and modulationScience, 281: 1305-1308.
- Green AK., Cobbold PH., and Dixon CJ., (1998)Effects on the hepatocyte Ca2+ oscillator of inhibition of the plasma membrane Ca2+ pump by carboxyeosin or glucagon-(19 –29)Cell Calcium, 22: 99 –109.
- Wang HX., and Ng TB(2001)Studies on the anti-mitogenic, anti-phage and hypotensive effects of several ribosome inactivating proteinsComparative Biochemistry and Physiology C-Pharmacology Toxicology, 128: 359-366.
- Streb H., Irvine RF., Berridge MJ., and Schulz I(1983)Release of Ca2+ from a nonmitochondrial intracellular store in pancreatic acinar cells by inositol-1,4,5-trisphosphateNature, 306: 67–69.
- Yago MD., Manas M., Ember Z., Singh J(1999)Nitric oxide and the pancreas: morphological base and role in the control of the exocrine pancreatic secretionMolecular Cellular Biochemistry, 219: 107–120.
- Gogvadze V., Robertson JD., Zhivotovsky B., and Orrenius S(2001)Cytochrome c release occurs via Ca2+ dependent and Ca2+ independent mechanisms that are regulated by BaxJournal of Biohemistry, 276: 19066 –19071
- Kabir J., Lobo M., Zachary I., and Staurtosis J(1999)Can calcium antagonists provide a neuroprotective effect in Parkinson's diseaseDrugs, 57: 845-849
- Simpson EP., Mosier D., and Appel SH(2002)Mechanisms of disease pathogenesis in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisA central role for calcium Neurology, 88:1-19
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 261-266
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162570
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. Gunasekar Manoharan, "Measurements of Intracellular Free Calcium on Cancer Cell Lines by the Effects of Crude Water-Soluble Extract of Momordica Charantia ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.261-266, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162570