Home > Archives > IJSRST162578
Effect of Acid Mine Drainage on Quality Deterioration of Aquatic Ecosystem and Behavioural Changes of Aquatic Organisms
Authors(1) :-Mridusmita Mahanta
Physico chemical characteristics of various aquatic ecosystems have been altered by large scale environmental degradation due to extensive deforestation and coal mining in the area. The primary cause of degradation of water quality and the declining trend of biodiversity in the water bodies of the mining area is mainly due to the Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) originating from coal mines. Simsang river of Garo hills that constitute an important habitat for coldwater fisheries has become one of the major victim of this. Low pH ,high conductivity, high concentration of sulphates, iron and toxic heavy metals , low DO are some of the physico-chemical and biological parameters which characterize the degradation of water quality. In the present study heavy metals like Fe, Cd, Pb, Ni, were detected in the AMD mixed water above permissible limits. Out of this Fe, Pb, Cd were present in high amount . Different behavioural changes including hyperactivity, changes in opercular movement rate, irregular swimming activity, jerking movements, loss in equilibrium , secretion of excessive mucus were reported during present study.
AMD, Heavy Metals, Behaviour, Ecosystem
- Acid Mine Drainage and Effects on Fish Health and Ecology: A Review(2008) ;U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Anchorage Fish and Wildlife Field Office
- APHA(1992).Standard methods for analysis of water and waste water.18th Ed. American Public Health Association, Inc., Washington D C..
- Earle, J. and Callaghan .T. Impact of Mine Drainage on Aquatic life,Water uses and Manmade structures.
- Goel, K.A. & Sharma ,S.D.(1987).Some haematological characteristics of Clarias batrachus under metallic stress of arsenic.Comp.Physiol.Ecol.12:63-66..
- Impact of Coal Mine Waste Water Discharge on Surroundings With Reference to Heavy Metals,(2011) . Central pollution control board.
- Durlach , M. Bara, A. Guiet-Bara , Magnesium level in drinking water: its importance in cardiovascular risk, Magnesium online library.
- Johansson-Sjobeck, M. L & Larsson, A. (1979). Effects of inorganic lead on delta aminolevulinic acid dehydrataseactivity and hematological variables in the rainbow trout, Salmo gairdneri. Arch. Environ .Contam.Toxicol.8:419-431.
- Kathleen M. Raley – Susman , Like a canary in the coal mine :Behavioural change as an early warning sign of neurotoxicological Damage.
- Madhyastha,M.N. and Nayak , R. ,Effect of a combination of pollutants on the fish Rasbora daniconius, The biosphere: Problem and solutions, edited by T.N. Veziroglu , Elsevier Science Publishers B.V.,Amsterdam,1984-Printed in The Netherlands.
- Mustafa,S. and Murad, A.(1984) Survival , Behaviour Response and Haematological Profile Of Catfish H. fossilis exposed to DDT. ,Japanese Journal Of Icthylogy,31.No1.
- Sarma ,D., Sarma ,D. , Das ,J., Rabha ,M ., Dutta ,A . and Mahanta , P.C.(2009).Potential impact of climate change ,coalmining on cold water fish and fisheries of Simsang River ,Garohills.
- Sarma,D. and Dutta,A.(2013) Acute Toxicity and Behavioural Changes in Channa punctatus Exposed to Rogor (An organophosphate),Nature Environment Pollution Technology 12(4):641-644.
- Siddiqui, A. A. and Chang, S.(2014). Cadmium chloride intoxication and evaluation of protein changes in Clarius batrachus. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Science,3(1).
- Srivastava ,G. and Srivastava, A. K., (2001).Toxicological effects of selenium on the haematological parameters of a freshwater catfish, H. fossilis (Bloch)Indian J. Sci . Res .2(3):109-114.
- WHO (World Health Organization), (2005). Guidelines for drinking water. WHO, Geneva.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 5 | September-October 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 305-308
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162578
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Mridusmita Mahanta, "Effect of Acid Mine Drainage on Quality Deterioration of Aquatic Ecosystem and Behavioural Changes of Aquatic Organisms", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 5, pp.305-308, September-October-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162578