Home > Archives > IJSRST162587
An Analysis of Determinants of Cocoa Export Trade In Nigeria (1981 -2014): A Bounds Testing Approach
Authors(3) :-Binuomote S., O. T. Nnaomah, Togun O. M.
This study examined the determinants of cocoa export in Nigeria between 1980 and 2014 using Autoregressive Distributed Lags modeling approach to cointegration, with Secondary data spanning 1980 to 2014 on Nigeria’s value of cocoa beans exports, volume of cocoa beans exports, cocoa beans export, cocoa beans output, comparative export performance index for Nigeria in cocoa, world volume of cocoa bean export, exchange rate, price of crude oil, per capita income which were obtained various issues of CBN statistical bulletin, CBN annual reports and statement of account, statistical database of the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAOSTAT). The cointegration results show there is a long-run equilibrium relationship between cocoa export volume and the selected explanatory variables. The OLS results provide a positive and significant relationship between cocoa comparative export performance, and world export volume of cocoa. However, the results show an inverse relationship between cocoa export volume in Nigeria and per capita income, cocoa export price and price of crude oil. The findings of this study indicate that Nigeria has a comparative advantage in cocoa export. An enabling environment and farming- incentives supply created by Nigerian government and relevant export partners will go a long way in stimulating cocoa producers and also reposition Nigeria towards sustainable cocoa production and export in the country.
Binuomote S., O. T. Nnaomah, Togun O. M.
Export, Cointegration, Cocoa, Export price.
- Abolagba, E. O., N. C. Onyekwere, B. N., Agbonkpolor and H. Y. Umar (2010). Determinants of
- Agricultural Exports. Journal of Human Ecology. 27 (3): 181-184.
- Adubi AA, Okunmadewa F 1999. Price Exchange Rate Volatility and Nigeria’s Agricultural Trade Flows; Dynamic Analysis. AERC Research Paper 87. Nairobi: Africa Economic Research Consortium.
- Akanni, K. A., Adeokun, O. A., Akintola, J. O. (2004).Effects of trade liberalization policy on Nigerian agricultural exports. Journal of Agriculture and Social Research. 4 (1), p. 13- 28, doi.org/10.4314/jasr.v4i1.2803. ISSN 1595-7470.
- Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN. (2005). Annual Reports and Statistical Bulletin 2004. Abuja: Central Bank of Nigeria.
- Daramola, D. S.(2011). Empirical investigations of agricultural export trade in Nigeria (1975 - 2008): A case study of cocoa and palm kernel. Economic and Financial Review. 49(1), p. 67-90.
- Erelu, O.O. (2008) Cocoa for Health and Wealth. A Paper presented in a Fourth Cocoa Day
- Celebration in Osun State between 22nd – 24th April.
- Fosu, O.A.E. and F.J. Magnus, (2006). Bounds testing approach to cointegration an examination of foreign direct investment, trade and growth relationships. Am. J. Applied Sci., 3: 2079-2085.
- Johansen, S. and K. Juselius (1990). "Maximum likelihood estimation and inference on cointegration--with applications to the demand for money." Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 52, pp. 169-210.
- Gilbert, C. L.(2009). Cocoa market liberalization in retrospect. Review of Business and Economics. 54(3) p. 294-312
- Kumar, A. (2004) Export Performance of Indian Fisheries: Strengths and Challenges Ahead. Economic and Political Weekly. 18 September:4264 – 4270.
- Cadoni P., (2013). Analysis of incentives and disincentives for cocoa in Nigeria. Technical notes series, MAFAP, FAO, Rome.
- Ndubuto, N. I., Agwu, N., Nwaru, J., Imonikhe, G.(2010). Competitiveness and determinants of cocoa
- Export from Nigeria. Report and Opinion. 2010, 1, No. 7, p. 51 -54.
- Nkang, N.M., Abang S.O., Akpan, O.E. and Offem, K.J. (2006). Cointegration and Error Correction Modeling of Agriculture Export Trade in Nigeria, The case of Cocoa, Journal of Agricultural and Social Sciences vol. 15.
- Oduwole, O.O. (2004) Adoption of Improved Agronomic Practices by Cocoa Farmers in
- Nigeria: A Multivariate Tobit Analysis. Thesis (Unpublished). Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria
- Ojo M.O.,and Akanji F. (1996). Responsiveness of selected Agricultural Export Commodities to Exchange rate Devaluation in Nigeria. An Econometric analysis. CBN Economic and Financial Review, 34(2):511-578.
- Oluyole, K.A. (2007).Evaluation of the Economics of Post Harvest Processing of Cocoa in Cross
- River State, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture, Forestry and the Social Sciences. 3 (2): 58-64.
- Oluyole, K.A. and R.A. Sanusi (2009) Socioeconomic Variables and Cocoa Production in
- Cross River State, Nigeria. Journal of Human Ecology. 25(1): 5 – 8.
- Oyedele, J.O. (2007) Enhancing the Sustainability of Cocoa Growing in Nigeria. A Paper
- Presented at the ICCo Roundtable Congress on Sustainable World Cocoa Economy at Accra, Ghana. 3rd – 6th October.
- Pesaran, M. H., Shin, Y., and Smith, R. J. (2001), “Bounds Testing Approaches to the Analysis of Level Relationship.” Journal of Applied Econometrics, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 289–326.
- Shende, N.V. and B.D. Bhole (1999) Export Potential for India’s Food Grains, Economic Affairs, 44 (1): 59 – 64.
- Utomakili, J.B., and Abolagba, J.O.(1996).Conserving Natural Resources for Sustainable Agriculture in Nigeria. A case for improved extension services. The Nigerian Journal of Agricultural and Rural Management, 1(1): 12
- Verter, N. and V. Bečvářová (2014) Analysis of Some Drivers of Cocoa Export in Nigeria in the Era of Trade Liberalization. Agris on-line Papers in Economics and Informatics, 6(4) pp. 208 -218
- Villalobos, V.M. (1989) Advances in Tissue Culture Methods Applied to Coffee and Cocoa Plant Biotechnology for Developing Countries. United Kingdom. CTA/FAO, Chayce Publication Services.
- Wilcox, M.D. and P.C. Abbott (2004) Market Power and Structural Adjustment: The Case of
- West African Cocoa Market Liberalization. Paper Presented at the American Agricultural
- Economics Association Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, 1st– 4th August.
- .Yusuf, S. A., Yusuf, W. A.(2007). Determinants of selected agricultural export crops in Nigeria: An ECM approach. AAAE second International Conference Proceedings, Accra, Ghana August 20-22. 2007.
Published in : Volume 1 | Issue 5 | November-December 2015
Date of Publication : 2015-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 340-349
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162587
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Binuomote S., O. T. Nnaomah, Togun O. M., "An Analysis of Determinants of Cocoa Export Trade In Nigeria (1981 -2014): A Bounds Testing Approach", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 1, Issue 5, pp.340-349, November-December-2015
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162587