Home > Archives > IJSRST162615
Assessment of the Efficiency of Farm Record Keeping In Kenya: A Case Study of Farmers in Cherangani Division Trans-Nzoia East District, Kenya
Authors(3) :-David Kiprono Lelei Rutto, Martin Koome, Lelei Felista Kibusi
The use of farm records in the farm by farmers assists to continuously monitor farming enterprise activities. Proper recordings are very essential for analysis and to carry out improvement of the enterprises and counter check losses and increase profits. The main objective of this study was to assess the efficiency and use of farm records keeping by farmers in Cherangani Division in Trans Nzoia East District Kenya. The Specific objectives of the study were: To determine the farm records keeping practices by the farmers in Cherangani Division, to assess the level of effectiveness of the farm record keeping by the farmers in Cherangani Division, to establish the utility of farm records to improve farming enterprises by the farmers in Cherangani Division. The target population in the division was 15,000 farmers in Cherangani Division. The study used a systematic sampling technique to pick 50 farmers from each of the five locations in Cherangani Division who formed the 250 the required sample size. The study used structured questionnaire to collect data which was analyzed using frequencies in order to achieve the specific objectives of the study. It was established that 32% of the farmers had records but not efficiently used in the farms, while 68% farmers had no records. The study established that farmers in Cherangani Division did not keep effective and efficient farm records which are a pre-requisite to modern commercialized farming.
David Kiprono Lelei Rutto, Martin Koome, Lelei Felista Kibusi
Farm record keeping, Farmers, Farming
- (2009) Cherangani Division, Annual report.
- Winkler M.M. (2008). “Farm Accounting from the Viewpoint of the Farmer Manager,” Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, Vol. 2, April 2008, p.27.
- Wiig K. M. (1997). Knowledge Management: An Introduction and Perspective. Journal of Knowledge Management.
- Abel C. (2000). Farm management in West Africa. Ogunle Publishers, Ogun State, Nigeria.
- (2009) Trans-Nzoia East District, Annual report.
- (2008) Trans-Nzoia East District, Annual report.
- Government of Kenya (2001). Economic Survey Nairobi, Ministry of Planning and National Development, Government Printers, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Government of Kenya (2004). Strategy for Revitalizing Agriculture policy paper, Government printers Nairobi Kenya.
- Farm management guide lines (2008). Trans-Nzoia East District, Kenya.
- Kayode B.A. (2002) Farm records and statistics. Alvaton Press, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Farm management guide lines (2009). Trans-Nzoia East District. Kenya.
- Armstrong C.J. (2002) Farms perception about farm records. Alberters Press, Abeokuta, Nigeria.
- Carlson J.E. (1988) “Farmers’ Perceptions about the Management of Their Farms,” The Journal of the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, Vol. 52, pp. 91-96.
- Farm management guide lines (2007). Trans-Nzoia East District, Kenya.
- Osburn D.D., K.C.Schneeberger (1983). Modern Agricultural Management: A Systems Approach to Farming. Reston, Reston, VA.
- Blackmore, B.S., H.W Gri epentrog, M.S. Pedersen, S. Fountas (2006). Precision farming in Europe. In: Srinivasan, A. (Ed.), Handbook of Precision Farming: Principles and Applications. The Haworth Press, Inc., Binghamton, NY, USA, p. 684-89.
- Grant R. M. (1991) The Resource-based theory of competitive advantage'. Implications for strategy formulation. California Management Review.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 101-105
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162615
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
David Kiprono Lelei Rutto, Martin Koome, Lelei Felista Kibusi, "Assessment of the Efficiency of Farm Record Keeping In Kenya: A Case Study of Farmers in Cherangani Division Trans-Nzoia East District, Kenya", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.101-105, November-December-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162615