Home > Archives > IJSRST162628
Financial Inclusion Harnessing Poor Families' Potential for Development
Authors(1) :-Dr. Amrit Patel
ndia accounts for 21% of the World’s and 67% of South Asia’s unbanked population. Since independence, efforts have been to make financial services available to rural India through expanding cooperatives, nationalising private banks, establishing regional rural banks, inducting private banks, among others. Acknowledging the fact that financial inclusion has been a key component of India’s development strategy to promote inclusive, balanced and sustainable growth the process of taking banking to villages still continues. However, according to the RBI, almost 75% of savings accounts lie dormant. Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana launched on 15th August 2014 is a comprehensive financial inclusion scheme for unbanked households which has shown significant performance as on 26th December 2015.It is in this context, this article highlights the significance of the financial inclusion and its relevance to India, RBI’s directives, current status, need for initiating enabling measures and aspects of strategic action plan to achieve the objectives of the financial inclusion.
Financial Inclusion, Banking For Poor, PMJDY
- Food and Agricultural Organization, International Fund for Agricultural Development and World Food Program (2014). The State of Food Insecurity in the World: Strengthening the Enabling Environment for Food Security and Nutrition.
- Government of India (2014). Annual Report. Department of Agriculture & Cooperation, New Delhi
- Government of India (2014). Annual Report. .Ministry of Finance , New Delhi
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (2009). Gender in Agriculture, Source Book, http/#www.ifad.org.gender/pub.
- Joshi, P.K./Has Indian Agriculture Become Crowded and Risky? Status, implications and the way forward. Joshi, Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, 70 1-41.
- National Bank for Agriculture & Rural Development (2014). Annual Report. Mumbai.
- Reserve Bank of India (2014). Annual Report. Mumbai.
- Reserve Bank of India (2014). Trend and Progress. Mumbai.
- Website of PMJDY
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 144-152
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162628
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dr. Amrit Patel, "Financial Inclusion Harnessing Poor Families' Potential for Development", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.144-152, November-December-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162628