Home > Archives > IJSRST162631
Isolation, Biochemical Characterization, PCR, Serotyping and Antibiogram of Salmonella from Chickens
Authors(4) :-Karthik C. D., Rathnamma D., Chandrashekhara N., Roopa Devi Y. S.
Salmonellosis is an infectious disease of Birds, Animals and Humans caused by organisms of the two species of Salmonella (Salmonella enterica, and S. bongori). Salmonellae produce Pullorum disease and Fowl Typhoid in poultry. In present study total of 260 tissue samples from 160 birds each Liver, Heart, Spleen and Gall Bladder, 40 eggs, 10 ovary samples, 25 faecal and feed samples from poultry farms in and around Bangalore were screened for Salmonella serovars prevalence. The isolation was carried out following OIE protocol of pre enrichment with BPW and enrichment with RVSM and TTBG. Selective plating was carried using BGA, XLD, HE and MCA. The BGA was found to be more efficient in isolation of salmonella when enriched with TTBG rather with RVSM than on XLD and HE. Better isolation rate with less number of false positive results were obtained on BGA with TTBG enrichment. A total of 21 isolates were obtained at the end, after series of Isolation, biochemical characterization, Serotyping and PCR. A prevalence of 8.05 per cent was recorded. Twenty one isolates were subjected for PCR with genus specific invA, serogroup specific sefA and serotype specific fliC primers. All isolates amplified with amplicon size for invA and sefA each but none from fliC and further PCR proved to be the rapid and sensitive test for identification of Salmonella.
Karthik C. D., Rathnamma D., Chandrashekhara N., Roopa Devi Y. S.
Salmonella, Biochemical, Antibiogram, PCR and Isolation
- Anjanappa, M., Verma J. C. and Harbola, P. C. 1995. In vitro antibacterial sensitivity of Salmonella Gallinarum Indian J. Comp. Microbial. Immunol. Infect. Dis., 16: 79-81.
- Anumolu, V. K., and Lakkineni, V. R. 2012. Screening of poultry samples for Salmonella Typhimurium by PCR assay. World., 5(3):169-172
- Baumler A.J., Gilde A.J., Tsolis R.M., van der Velden A.W., Ahmer B.M. & Heffron F. (1997). Contribution of horizontal gene transfer and deletion events to development of distinctive patterns of fimbrial operons during evolution of Salmonella J. Bacteriol., 179 (2): 317-322.
- Baumler A.J., Tsolis R.M., Ficht T.A. & Adams L.G. (1998). Evolution of host adaptation in Salmonella enterica. Immun., 66 (10): 4579-4587.
- Fitzgerald, C., Collins, M., Van Duyne, S., Mikoleit, M., Brown, T., Fields, P., 2007. Multiplex, bead-based suspension array for molecular determination of common Salmonella serogroups. Clin. Microbiol., 45: 3323-3334.
- Lampel, K. A., Orlandi, P. A. and Kornegay, L. 2000. Improved template preparation for PCR-based assay for detection of food-borne bacterial pathogens. Environ. Microbiol., 66: 4539- 4542.
- Le, minor, L. and Coynault, C. 1973. Annales de Microbiologie, 124b: 295.
- MDEGELA, R. H., YONGOLO, M. G. S., MINGA, U. M. and ANDOLSEN, J. E., 2000. Molecular epidemiology of Salmonella gallinarum in chickens in Tanzania. Avian Pathology 29: 457–63.
- Nagappa, K., Shantanu, T., Brajmadhuri, M. K. S. and Singh, S. P., 2007. Isolation of Salmonella Typhimurium from poultry eggs and meat of Tarai region of Uttaranchal. Indian Journal of Biotechnology., 6: 407-409.
- Oliveira, S.D., Santosa, L.R., Schucha, D.M.T., Silvaa, A.B., Sallea, C.T.P and Canala, C.W., 2002. Detection and identification of salmonellas from poultry-related samples by PCR. Veterinary Microbiology., 87: 25–35
- Prakash B., Krishnappa G., Muniyappa L. & Santhosh K.B. (2005). Epidemiological characterization of avian Salmonella enterica serovar infections in India. J. Poult. Sci., 4 (6): 388-395.
- Rodrigue D.C., Tauxe R.V. & Rowe B. (1990). International increase in Salmonella enteritidis: a new pandemic? Infect., 105 (1): 21-27.
- Townsend S.M., Kramer N.E., Edwards R., Baker S., Hamlin N., Simmonds M., Stevens K., Maloy S., Parkhill J., Dougan G. & Baumler A.J. (2001). Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi possesses a unique repertoire of fimbrial gene sequences. Immun., 69 (5): 2894-2901.
- SAIF, Y. M. 2003. In: Diseases of poultry. 11th. A Blackwell publishing company, Iowa state press.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 199-203
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162631
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Karthik C. D., Rathnamma D., Chandrashekhara N., Roopa Devi Y. S., "Isolation, Biochemical Characterization, PCR, Serotyping and Antibiogram of Salmonella
from Chickens", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.199-203, November-December-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162631