Home > Archives > IJSRST162633
Determination of PAHs in Fresh and Smoke-dried Alligator Pepper
Authors(2) :-Erepamowei Young, Timi Tarawou
Smoking as a way of preservation could be a source of PAHs in food. This study was aimed at determining poly-aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in fresh and smoke-dried samples of alligator pepper (Aframoum melegueta). Fresh and smoke-dried samples of the pepper were bought from Swali Market, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. Seeds were mechanically homogenized in a stainless steel blender. 1 g of the sample was vortexed-mixed for about 5 minutes with a mixture of water, methanol, and chloroform and the mixture finally centrifuged and the chloroform layer collected for analysis with HPLC-FLD. The results showed the absence of any PAH in the fresh alligator pepper while six PAHs (benzo [a] anthracene, chrysene, benzo [b] fluorene, benzo [k] fluorene, dibenzo [a,h] anthracene, and benzo [g,h,i] perylene) were detected in the smoked dried alligator pepper but they were all found to be present at concentrations below quantification levels, suggesting that smoke-dried alligator pepper used for various purposes is free from PAHs and therefore do not pose any health risk in respect of PAHs.
Erepamowei Young, Timi Tarawou
Alligator, pepper, PAHs, HPLC, FLD
- Lucchesi M.E., Chemat F., Jacqueline S., (2004), Solvent free microwave extraction: an innovative tool for rapid extraction of essential oil from aromatic herbs and spices, J Microwave Power and Electromagnetic Energy, 39 (3-4), 137 - 140
- Sonibare M.A., Lawal T.O., Ayodeji O.O., (2011), Antimicrobial evaluation of plants commonly used in the management of psychosis opportunistic infections, International J Pharmacology 7 (4), 492 - 497
- Lawal B.A.S., Aderibigbe A.O., Essiet G.A., Essien A.D.,(2007), Hypotensive and antihypertensive effects of Aframomum melegueta, International J Pharmacology 3 (4), 311 - 318
- Wenzl T., Simon R., Kleiner J., Anklam E., (2006), Analytical methods for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) in food and the environment needed for new food legislation in the European Union. Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 25 (7), 716 -725
- Moret S., Conte L.S., (2000), Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in edible fats and oils: occurrence and analytical methods. J Chromatography A, 882 (1-2), 245 - 253.
- SCF (2002), Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons - occurrence in foods, dietary exposure and health effects. Scientific Committee on Food, Report No. SCF/CS/CNTM/PAH/29 Add1 Final, 4 December.
- Barranco A., Alonso-Salces R.M., Crespo I., Burreta L.A., Gallo B., Vicente F.S., (2004), Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon content in commercial Spanish fatty foods. J Food Prot 67, 2786 - 2971
- Dissanayake A., Galloway T.S., (2004), Evaluation of fixed wavelength fluorescence and synchronous fluorescence spectrophotometry as a biomonitoring tool of environmental contamination, Marine Environ. Res., 58 (2), 281 - 285
- H. Phillips D.H., (1999), PAHs in the diet. Mutat. Res., 443 (1-2), 139 - 47
- Busette F., Heitz A., Cuomo M., Badoer S., Traverso P., (2006), Determination of sixteen polyaromatic hydrocarbons in aqueous and solid samples from an Italian wastewater treatment plant, J. Chromatogra A, 1102, 104 - 115
- Khan Z., Troquet J., Vachelard C., (2005), Sample preparation and analytical techniques for the determination of polyaromatic hydrocarbons in soil, J. Environ. Sc. Tech. 2, 275 - 286
- Ramalhosa M.J., Paiga P., Morais S., Delerue-Matos C., Oliveira M.B.P.P., (2009), Analysis of polyaromatic hydrocarbons in fish: Evaluation of quick, easy, cheap, effective, rugged, and safe extraction method, J. Sep. Sci., 32, 3529 - 3538
- Mônica C.R.C, Paula R.A., Eduardo V., (2011), HPLC-FLD Simultaneous Determination of 13 Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Validation of an Analytical Procedure for Soybean Oils, J. Braz. Chem. Soc., 22 (7), 1354 -1361
- Ye Yu, Qingzhe Jin, Yue Wang, Yan Gu Xingguo Wang. (2014), Sources of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Soybean Oil and its Dynamic Changes Refining Processing, Advance J Food Science and Technology 6 (1), 42 - 47
- Princewill-Ogbonna I.L., Adikwu U.E., (2015), Levels of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons in Edible Vegetable Oil Sold In Umuahia, Main Market, Nigeria, J Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT), 9, (5), 87 - 92
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 204-207
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162633
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Erepamowei Young, Timi Tarawou, "Determination of PAHs in Fresh and Smoke-dried Alligator Pepper", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.204-207, November-December-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162633