Home > Archives > IJSRST162635
The Role of Information Technology in Nigerian Economy
Authors(3) :-AWOYEMI John Oloruntoba, AWOYEMI, Bosede Olanike
Information and Communication technology play a central role in the economic, social and political life of every nation, thus, this study examined the role of information technology on economic growth in Nigeria. This was done using ordinary least square estimation technique. The study found that investment in the telecommunication sector and improved level of communication and information technology significantly influence economic growth in Nigeria. Adequacy of information technology infrastructures such as computer and internet devices as well as high level of internet usage will achieve rapid economic growth and development if the resources are channeled efficiently. Therefore, this study suggests an improvement in the supply of information and communication infrastructures.
AWOYEMI John Oloruntoba, AWOYEMI, Bosede Olanike
Information Technology, Economic growth, Internet users and Telecommunication
- Ayeni. F., Olokunde T., Olaperi, S., Adekunle, D (2016).? The Role Of Information Technology In Building A Knowledge Based Nigerian Economy: A CRITICAL REVIEW. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265466674.? Retrieved on: 12 February 2016.
- Baily, Martin Neil [1986a], “Taming the Information Monster,” Bell Atlantic Quarterly, Summer, pp. 33-38.
- Baily, Martin Neil [1986b], “What Has Happened to Productivity Growth?” Science, Vol. 234: 443-451.
- Berman, E., Bound, J., and Griliches, Z. , “Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U. S. Manufacturing: Evidence form the Annual Survey of Manufactures,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 109(2): 367-397.
- Dandago, K.I., Rufai, A.S. (2014) Information Technology and Accounting Information System in the Nigerian Banking Industry. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 2014, 4(5):655-670
- Gold, K.L (2011) Aggregate Analysis of the Impacts of Telecommunication Infrastructural Development on Nigerian Economy.? Proceedings of the 1st International Technology, Education and Environment Conference (c) African Society for Scientific Research (ASSR) Co-Published By: Human Resource Management Academic Research Society.
- Hitt, Lorin and Brynjolfsson, Erik. , “Three Faces of IT Value: The Theory and Evidence,” The Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Conference on Information Systems, (December).
- Jorgenson, Dale W. and Stiroh, Kevin. , “Computers and Growth,” Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Vol. 3: 295-316.
- Jorgenson, D.W., Vu, K (2005) Information Technology and the World Economy. Cambridge, the MIT Press.
- Jorgenson, Dale W. and Landau, Ralph (Ed.), , Technology and Capital Formation, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Landauer, Thomas K. , The Trouble with Computers, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Obasan, K.A (2011) INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY AND BANKS PROFITABILITY IN NIGERIA.? Australian Journal of Business and Management Research Vol.1 No.4 [102-107] | July-2011 102.
- Oladunjoye I.M., Audu, J.S (2014) The Impact of Information and Communication Technology on Youth and its Vocational Opportunities in Nigeria. Journal of Good Governance and Sustainable Development in Africa, Vol. 2, No 1, Jan., 2014 Website: http://www.rcmss.com ISSN: 2346-724X (Print) ISSN: 2354-158X
- Roach, Stephen S. [1989b], “America’s White-Collar Productivity Dilemma,” Manufacturing Engineering , August , pp. 104.
- Robinson, J (2000) The Role of Information Technology in the Economic Development of Inner City Communities. Graduate School of Business, 3022 Broadway, 311 Uris Hall New York, NY 10027-6902 email@example.com. ?DRAFT COPY
- Sagarmay, D. (2014).? Information Technology, Its Impact on Society and Its Future. Advances in Computing, Central Queensland University. Vol. 4(1): Pg. 25-29 DOI: 10.5923/j.ac.20140401.07.
- Siegel, Donald and Griliches, Zvi , “Purchased Services, Outsourcing, Computers, and Productivity in Manufacturing,” in Griliches et al. (Ed.), Output Measurement in the Service Sectors, University of Chicago Press.
- Strassmann, P. A. , The Business Value of Computers: An Executive’s Guide. New Canaan, CT, Information Economics Press.
- Willy, U and Obinne, U.G (2013) Evaluation of Information Technology (It) Investments on Bank Returns: Evidence from Nigerian Banks.? Research Journal of Finance and Accounting www.iiste.org ISSN 2222-1697 (Paper) ISSN 2222-2847 (Online) Vol.4, No.4, 2013
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 6 | July-August 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 20-28
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162635
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
AWOYEMI John Oloruntoba, AWOYEMI, Bosede Olanike, "The Role of Information Technology in Nigerian Economy", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp.20-28, July-August-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162635