Home > Archives > IJSRST162640
Mild Steel Corrosion Inhibition by Daucus carota Pulp Extract in 1N Hydrochloric Acid Medium
Authors(2) :-V. Kavitha, Dr. N. Gunavathy
Daucus carota pulp extracts (DCP) was investigated as corrosion inhibitor of mild steel in 1N HCl using phytochemical screening, HPLC analysis, conventional weight loss measurement with immersion time, temperature studies, and surface morphological examination. Phytochemical screening and HPLC analysis proved that protective layer was contributed by bioactive constituents DCP extract. Inhibition efficiency increased with increase in concentration of inhibitor from 0.05% to 2.0% v/v. Maximum inhibition efficiency of 95.34% was obtained for DCP extract in 1N HCl for an immersion period of 5h. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and energy dispersive X-ray (EDX) techniques were employed for surface examination of uninhibited and inhibited mild steel. These studies provided evidence of improved surface condition on mild steel, due to adsorption of DCP phytonutrients for corrosion protection
V. Kavitha, Dr. N. Gunavathy
Daucus carota, Phytochemical Screening, HPLC, Weight Loss Measurements, Surface Examination Studies.
- D. Callister. 1997. Material Science and Engineering and Introduction, John Willy and sons Inc. 4th Edition.
- D. Shetty, P. Shetty, and H. V. S. Nayak. 2006. The inhibition action of N-furfuryl-N′-phenyl thiourea on the corrosion of mild steel in acid media. Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society. Vol. 71. No. 10. pp. 1073–1082.
- L. Rozenfeld. 1981. Corrosion Inhibitors. McGraw-Hill. New York. pp. 182.
- Abdallah and M. E. Moustafa. 2004. Inhibition of acidic corrosion of carbon steel by some mono and bis azo dyes based on 1, 5 dihydroxynaphthalene. Annali di chimica. Vol. 94. No. 7?8. pp. 601-611.
- Popora, E. Sokolova, S. Raicheva, M. Christov. 2003. AC and DC study of the temperature effect on mild steel corrosion in acid media in the presence of benzimidazole derivative. Corrosion Science. Vol. 45. No. 1. pp. 33–58.
- Sobhi, M. Abdallah, K. S. Khairou. 2012. Sildenafil citrate (Viagra) as a corrosion inhibitor for carbon steel in hydrochloric acid solutions. Monatshefte für Chemie-Chemical Monthly. Vol. 143. No. 10. pp.1379-1387.
- Abdallah, I. Zaafarany, K. S. Khairou, M. Sobhi. Inhibition of carbon steel corrosion by iron (III) and imidazole in sulfuric acid. International Journal of Electrochemical Science. Vol. 7. No. 2. pp. 1564- 1579.
- Chaieb, A. Bouyanzer, B. Hammouti, M. Berrabah. 2009. Limonene as green inhibitor for steel corrosion in Hydrochloric Acid. Acta Physico-Chimica Sinica. Vol 25. pp. 1254.
- El Ouariachi, J. Paolini, M. Bouklah, A. Elidrissi, A. Bouyanzer, B. Hammouti, J.-M. Desjobert, J. Costa. 2010. Adsorption properties of Rosmarinus officinalis oil as green corrosion inhibitors on C38 steel in 0.5 M H2SO4. Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English letters). Vol. 23. No.1. pp. 13-20.
- Faska, A. Bellioua, M. Bouklah, L. Majidi, R. Fihi, A. Bouyanzer, B. Hammouti. 2008. Effect of pulegone and pulegone oxide on the corrosion of steel in 1M HCl. Monatshefte für Chemie. Vol. 139. pp. 1417.
- Chris O. Akalezi, Conrad K. Enenebaku, Emeka E. Oguzie. 2013. Inhibition of acid corrosion of mild steel by biomass extract from the petersianthus macrocarpus plant. Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. Vol. 4. No. 2. pp. 217-226.
- Ramananda Singh. 2013. A green Approach: A corrosion inhibition of mild steel by adhatoda vasica plant extract in 0.5 M H2SO4. Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. Vol. 4. No. 1. pp. 117-126.
- Benali, H. Benmehdi, O. Hasnaoui, C. Selles, R. Salghi. 2013. Green corrosion inhibitor: inhibitive action of tannin extract of Chamaerops humilis plant for the corrosion of mild steel in 0.5 M H2SO4. Journal of Materials and Environmental Science. Vol. 4. No. 1. pp. 127-138.
- Gunavathy and S. C. Murugavel. 2014. Inhibitive performance of Musa acuminata fruit peel extract on the corrosion of mild steel in sulphuric acid medium. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. Vol. 7. No. 6. pp. 600-604.
- Deepa Rani and S. Selvaraj. 2010. Inhibitive and Adsorption Properties of Punica granatum Extract on Brass in Acid Media. Journal of Phytology. Vol. 2. No. 11. pp. 58–64
- B. Harborne, “Phytochemical methods: A guide to modern technique of plant analysis”, 1998, Champman and Hall.
- Kavitha and Dr. N. Gunavathy. 2014. Evaluation of Daucus Carota aerial extract as corrosion inhibitor of mild steel in hydrochloric acid medium. International Journal of Research in Advent Technology. Vol. 2. No. 7. pp. 146-154.
- Karthikaiselvi, D. S. Subhashini, R. Rajalakshmi. 2009 Biodegradable green inhibitor (Myristica Frangans) as a corrosion inhibitor of mild steel in 1M HCl. The Journal of corrosion science and engineering. Vol.12.
- I. Bhat and V. Alva. 2009. Corrosion inhibition of aluminium by 2- chloronicotinic acid in HCl medium. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology. Vol. 16. No. 3. pp. 228–233.
- Abdallah, H. E. Megahed, M. A. Radwan, E. Abdfattah. 2012. Polyethylene glycol compounds as corrosion inhibitors for aluminium in 0.5M hydrochloric acid solution. Journal of American Science. Vol. 8. No. 11. pp. 49–55.
- S. Shylesha, T. V. Venkatesha, B. M. Praveen. 2011. Corrosion inhibition studies of mild steel by new inhibitor in different corrosive medium. Research Journal of Chemical Sciences. Vol.1. No. 7. pp. 46–50.
- N. Putilova, V.P. Barannik, S.A. Balezin. 1960. Metallic Corrosion Inhibitors, Pergamon Press. pp. 30-32.
- Rekha N. Nair, Shashi Sharma, I. K. Sharma, P. S. Verma, Alka Sharma. 2010. Inhibitory Efficacy of Piper nigrum linn. Extract on Corrosion of AA1100 in HCl. Rasayan J. Chem.Vol.3. No. 4. pp. 783-795.
- S. Patel, S .Jauhari, G. N. Mehta. 2009. Mild Steel Corrosion Inhibition by Bauhinia Purpurea Leaves Extract in 1 N Sulphuric Acid. The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. Vol. 34. No. 2C. pp. 61-69.
- K. Singh and M.A. Quraishi. 2011. Investigation of the effect of disulfiram on corrosion of mild steel in hydrochloric acid solution. Corrosion Science. Vol. 53. No.4. pp. 1288-1297.
- P. Vinod Kumar, M. S. Narayanan Pillai, G. Rexin Thusnavis. 2010. Pericarp of the Fruit of Garcinia Mangostana as Corrosion Inhibitor for Mild Steel in Hydrochloric Acid Medium. Portugaliae Electrochimica Acta. vol. 28. No.6. pp. 373-383.
- Deng, X. Li, H. Fu. 2011. Alizarin violet 3B as a novel corrosion inhibitor for steel in HCl, H2SO4 solutions. Corrosion Science. vol. 53. No. 11. pp. 3596–3602.
- Abboud, B. Hammouti, A. Abourriche, B. Ihssane, A. Bennamara, M. Charrouf, S.S Al-Deyab. 2012. 2-(o-Hydroxyphenyl) Benzimidazole as a New Corrosion Inhibitor for mild Steel in Hydrochloric Acid Solution. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. Vol. 7. pp. 2543 -2551
- H. Hussin and M. J. Kassim. 2010. Electrochemical studies of mild steel corrosion inhibition in aqueous solution by uncaria gambir extract. Journal of Physical Science. Vol. 21. No.1. pp. 1-13.
- R. Saliyan and A. V. Adhikari. 2008. Inhibition of corrosion of mild steel in acid media by N’-benzylidene-3-(quinolin-4-ylthio) propanohydrazide. Bull. Mater. Sci. Vol. 31. No.4. pp. 699-711.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 249-256
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162640
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
V. Kavitha, Dr. N. Gunavathy, "Mild Steel Corrosion Inhibition by Daucus carota
Pulp Extract in 1N Hydrochloric Acid Medium", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.249-256, November-December-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162640