Home > Archives > IJSRST162654
Bridging the Divide : The Challenges of Sustainable Water Supply to Peripheral Settlements of Kaduna Metropolis
Authors(3) :-Damina Bulus Gyuk, Adegboyega Adesoji Anthony, Agabi Jechoniah
Water problems of urban areas vary greatly with those of peripheral areas. While most cities have provisions for pipe borne water supply, the challenge of the periphery is the lack of provision for supply of pipe borne water. This study provides understanding of potentials and challenges for sustainable water supply in peripheral settlements as basis for intervention. Thirteen settlements were identified cutting across the two local government areas where peripheral growth is dominant: Chikun and Igabi. Data collection and analysis was conducted in 70% of the identified peripheral settlements. A sample size of 0.5% was drawn from 61,182 households constituting 305 questionnaires, from which only 269 were retrieved for analysis. Results reveal poor access to pipe borne water and over dependence on boreholes and dug wells; Valuable time is lost to water fetching. The need for sustainable water supply is established through indication of desire for pipe borne water supply; and willingness to pay for pipe borne water supply. Among the challenges to be surmounted to ensure sustainable water supply are: poor physical conditions of peripheral settlements; poor management of metropolitan growth; and water suppliers’ challenges. It is recommended therefore, that a comprehensive land use plan should be prepared which covers the metropolis and periphery; Legal recognition for the existing peripheral settlements; expansion of the capacity of the water treatment plants; and provision of public boreholes to meet water supply on the interim.
Damina Bulus Gyuk, Adegboyega Adesoji Anthony, Agabi Jechoniah
Sustainable, Challenge, Water supply, peripheral settlements
- Abdullahi, M. A. (1990) Water for sustainable Development: Trends and Perspective. A paper delivered at the National Conference on water for sustainable Development.
- Devas, N. (1993) 'Evolving Approaches to Urban Management’ in Devas, N. and Rakodi, C (Eds), Managing Fast Growing Cities: New Approaches to Urban Planning and Management in the Developing World, pp 63 – 101, Longman, London.
- Mabogunje, A. L. (1993) 'Infrastructure: The Crux of Modern Urban Development’ Urban Edge 1(3) 3. World Bank, Washington DC.
- Maiyaki, B.K.J. (2006) Efficiency of public water supply in Kaduna Metropolis. An unpublished M.Sc thesis, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, A.B.U., Zaria.
- Abdu, Y (1998) Planning and Management of Sustainable water supply: A Case study of Damaturu. An Unpublished M.Sc Thesis, Department Urban and Regional Planning, A.B.U. Zaria
- Osagioduwa, M. (2007) Planning for effective urban water supply in Benin City. Unpublished M.Sc U.R.P. Thesis, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
- Nyam, J. V. (1999) Planning Analysis of Water supply in Kaduna Metropolis. Unpublished M.Sc U.R.P. Thesis, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
- Golam R., Deanna A., and S. I. (2008) City Growth with Urban Sprawl and Problems of 44th ISOCARP Congress
- Audu, E. A. (2009): Strategic Planning Proposals for the Development of Peripheral Areas of Kaduna. An unpublished M.Sc thesis, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, A.B.U., Zaria
- Habila, S. K. (2009) : Characteristics and problems of Planning Control in the Peri-Urban areas of Kaduna South. An unpublished M.Sc thesis, Department of Urban and Regional Planning, A.B.U., Zaria
- H.O. and UNICEF (2000) Global Water Supply and Sanitation Assessment. www.unicef.org/wash/files/gafull.pdf
- UN Report Africa (2005) The Millennium Development Goals Report. New York. Downloaded from un.org/unsd/mi/pdf/mdg%20book.pdf
- Batemen, O. M., Smith, S. and Roark, P., (1993) A Comparism of the Health of Water Supply and Sanitation in Urban and Rural Areas of five African Countries. WASH Field Report No. 398 Water and Sanitation for Health Project, WASH Operations Centre (Arlington, V. A.)
- Fadere, S.O. and Olawuni, P.O. (2008) Domestic Water Supply and Health of Household in The Three Residential Densities in Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria. Ethiopian Journal of Environmental Studies and Management 1(2) 35-43
- Osinusi, K. and Oyejide, C. O. (1998) “Morbidity pattern among Nigerian Children from a Poor Urban Community”. African Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences, 18:43-47
- UN Commission for Africa (2005) Sub Regional Report on Water Resources Development in North Africa.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-14
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 365-373
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162654
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Damina Bulus Gyuk, Adegboyega Adesoji Anthony, Agabi Jechoniah, "Bridging the Divide : The Challenges of Sustainable Water Supply to Peripheral Settlements of Kaduna Metropolis", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.365-373, November-December-2016
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162654