Home > Archives > IJSRST162664
Enhancement in Power System Performance through Compensation Technique
Authors(2) :-Meera S. Mendhe, Prof. R. M. Bhombe
Flickering Voltage has become one of the most severe power quality problems (especially in loads like electrical arc furnaces) and much attention has been paid to it lately. With the semiconductor industry developing and progressing at a very fast pace lots on new devices such as the compensators based on voltage source converters, FACTS devices have been developed which have been found quite successful in mitigating the voltage flickering and achieving good power quality. This paper covers dealing with the voltage flicker mitigation and compensation using he Static Synchronous Compensator (STATCOM). The obtained results show that STATCOM is very efficient and effective for the flicker compensation. All the simulations have been performed on the MATLAB Software.
Meera S. Mendhe, Prof. R. M. Bhombe
STATCOM,DVR, PMSG wind turbine, Harmonics.
- Sun, D. Czarkowski, Z. Zabar, "Voltage Flicker Mitigation Using PWM-Based Distribution STATCOM", IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, Vol.1, (21-25 July 2002), pp. 616-621.
- Mckim, "The UIE Flicker-meter Demystified", Hewlett- Packard's Power Products Division, 1997.
- Collantes-Bellido, T. Gomez, "Identification and Modeling of a Three Phase Arc Furnace for Voltage Distribution Simulation", IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery; Vol.12, No.4, (1997), pp. 1812-1817.
- Tang, S. Kolluri, M.F. McGranaghan, "Voltage Flicker Prediction for Two Simultaneously Operated AC Arc Furnaces" IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery; Vol.12, No.2, (1997), pp. 985-991.
- Zouiti, S. Saadate, X. Lombard, C. Poumarede, C. Levillain, "Electronic Based Equipment for Flicker Mitigation", Proceedings of International Conference on Harmonics And Quality of Power, Vol.2, (1998), pp. 1182-1187.
- Larsson, C. Poumarede, "STATCOM, an efficient means for flicker mitigation" IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol.2, (Jan-4Feb 1999), pp. 1208-1213.
- S. Chen, H. J. Chuang, C. T. Hsu, S. M. Tscng, "Stochastic Voltage Flicker Analysis and Its Mitigation for Steel Industrial Power Systems", IEEE Power Tech Proceedings, Vol.1, (10-13 Sept. 2001).
- Zhang, N. R. Fahmi, W. T. Norris, "Flicker Analysis and Methods for Electric Arc Furnace Flicker (EAF) Mitigation (A Survey)", IEEE Power Tech Proceedings, Vol.1, (10-13 Sept. 2001).
- R. Clouston, J. H. Gurney, "Field Demonstration of a Distribution Static Compensator Used to Mitigate Voltage Flicker", IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol.2, (31 Jan-4 Feb 1999), pp. 1138- 1141.
- Elnady, W. El-khattam, M. A. Salama, "Mitigation of AC Arc Furnace Voltage Flicker Using the Unified Power Quality Conditioner", IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol.2, (27-31 Jan. 2002), pp. 735-739.
- Suzuki, Y. Hara, E. Masada, M. Miyatake, K. Shutoh, "Application of Unified Flow Controller for Power Quality Control at Demand Side", The Third International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference Proceedings (PIEMC 2000), Vol.3 (15- 18Aug 2000), pp. 1031-1036.
- Hara, E. Masada, M. Miyatake, K. Shutoh, "Application of Unified Flow Controller for Improvement of Power Quality" IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, Vol.4, (23-27 Jan. 2000), pp. 2600-2606.
- H. R. Enslin, "Unified Approach to Power Quality Mitigation" International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE '98), IEEE Proceedings, Vol.1, (July1998), pp. 8-20.
- P. Roberts, "Power Quality Solution Alternatives for Low and Medium Voltage Continuous Process Loads", IEEE Rural Electric Power Conference, (5-7 May 2002), pp. C4-C4_7.
- C. Montanari, M. Loggini, L. Pitti, E. Tironi, D. Zaninelli, "The effects of series inductors for flicker reduction in electric power systems supplying arc furnaces", IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, Vol.2, (2-8 Oct. 1993), pp.1496-1503.
- W. Marshall, "sing Series Capacitors to Mitigate Voltage Flicker Problems" IEEE Rural Electric Power Conference, (20-22 April 1997), pp. B3-1-5.
- Dolezal, A. G. Castillo, V. Valouch, "Topologies and control of active filters for flicker compensation", International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Proceedings, Vol.1, (4-8 Dec, 2000), pp. 90-95.
- Gyugi, A. A. Otto, "Static Shunt Compensation for Voltage Flicker Reduction and Power Factor Correction", American Power Conference (1976), pp. 1272-1286.
- Hamachi, M. Takeda, "Voltage Fluctuation Suppressing System Using Thyristor Controlled Capacitors", 8th U.I.E. Congress, (1976).
- Frank, S. Ivner, "TYCAP, Power Factor Correction Equipment Using Thyristor Controlled Capacitor for Arc Furnaces", ASEA Journal, No.46, Vol.6, (1973) pp. 147-152.
- Mienski, R. Pawelek, I. Wasiak "Shunt Compensation for Power Quality Improvement using a STATCOM controller: Modelling and simulation", IEE Proc.-Gener. Transm. Distrib., No.2, Vol.151, (2004), pp. 274-280.
- Amit K. Jain, Aman Behal, Ximing, Darren M. Dawson, Ned Mohan "Nonlinear Controller for Fast Voltage Regulation Using STATCOMs" IEEE Transaction. On control systems technology, No.6, Vol.12, (2004), pp. 827-842.
- Math Works Company, ‘Manual for MATLAB Simulink Software, User’s Guide’, 2002, Version 6.5.
- Akagi, Y. Kanazawa, A. Nabae, "Instantaneous Reactive Power Compensator Comprising Switching Devices Without Energy Storage Components", IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, No.3, Vol.20, (1984), pp. 625-630.
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 317-320
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162664
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Meera S. Mendhe, Prof. R. M. Bhombe, "Enhancement in Power System Performance through Compensation Technique", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.317-320, November-December-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162664