Home > Archives > IJSRST162670
Effectiveness of Cement and Lime in Earth Bricks for Building Construction
Authors(3) :-Sangeetha J Sankar, Vishnu Prasad T, Nishila V
Earth, is an important building material which is present in the nature and is available in most of the regions. Currently people demand energy efficient and cost effective buildings that emphasize a healthy and balanced livelihood. In developing countries, a construction with earth is economically the most efficient means to meet the demand of the needy with least demand of the resources. Handmade unbaked bricks known as "mud bricks" or “adobes” are employed traditionally and they suffer from cracks and water attack which in turn need continuous maintenance to keep them in good condition. In order to improve the effectiveness of mud bricks stabilization is being practiced nowadays. This study is devoted to enhance the compressive strength and water absorption characteristics of mud bricks with the use of cement and lime as stabilizers at varying proportions to increase the properties of the basics earth mix for the making of mud bricks. The experimental results show that with the addition of stabilizers to a certain limit lead to an improved effectiveness of the mud bricks.
Sangeetha J Sankar, Vishnu Prasad T, Nishila V
Adobe, Stabilization, Cement, Lime, Compressive strength
- Abhijeet D. Patil, "Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks by using Lime", International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, (September 2015)
- N. Patowary1, "Study of Compressed Stabilized Earth Block", International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, (June 2015)
- Ibtehaj Taha Jawad, "Soil Stabilization Using Lime: Advantages, Disadvantages and Proposing a Potential Alternative", Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology , (July 2014)
- Sihem Chaibeddra, "Study of sulphate attack on earth stabilized blocks", International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management ,(January 2014)
- B.Nagaraj,"Role of lime with cement in long term strength of compressed stabilized earth blocks", International journal of sustainable built environment, (2014).
- Asma Muhmed, "Effect of Lime Stabilisation on the Strength and Microstructure of Clay", IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, (May - Jun. 2013)
- Chaibeddra, " Sustainability of Stabilized Earth Blocks to water erosion", International Journal Of Engineering and Innovative Technology , (March 2013)
- Ankit Singh Negi, "Soil Stabilization Using Lime", International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology , (February 2013)
- B. Tchamba, "Building Potentials of Stabilized Earth Blocks in Yaounde and Douala (Cameroon)", International Journal of Civil Engineering Research, (2012)
- B. Tchamba "Building Potentials of Stabilized Earth Blocks", International Journal of Civil Engineering Research, (2012).
- K, "Experimental investigation and feasibility study on stabilized compacted earth block using local resources", International Journal Of Civil And Structural Engineering, (2012)
- Sadek Deboucha, "A review on bricks and stabilized compressed earth blocks", Scientific Research and Essays, (February, 2011)
Published in : Volume 2 | Issue 6
| November-December 2016
Date of Publication : 2016-12-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 379-383
Manuscript Number : IJSRST162670
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Sangeetha J Sankar, Vishnu Prasad T, Nishila V, "Effectiveness of Cement and Lime in Earth Bricks for Building Construction", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 2, Issue 6
, pp.379-383, November-December-2016.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST162670