Home > Archives > IJSRST1731017
A Validated HPTLC Method for the Quantification of ?-Sitosterol In Leaves, Bark of Putranjiva Roxburghii Wall
Authors(3) :-Kalyani Abhimanyu Kedar, Sanjay R. Chaudhari, Avanapu S. Rao
Objective: A simple and sensitive high-performance thin-layer chromatography method was developed and validated for the determination of ?-sitosterol in Putranjiva roxburghii Wall leaf and bark
Methods: Analysis of samples was performed on TLC aluminium precoated plate (60F 254) by using mobile phase toluene: ethyl acetate: formic acid (9:1:0.1v/v/v). TLC plate derivatized with vanillin sulphuric acid reagent. The method was validated using International Council for Harmonization (ICH) guidelines, including linearity, precision, accuracy, and robustness.
Results: A good linearity relationship was found to be with correlation coefficient (r2) value of 0.9951 for ?-sitosterol, from calibration curve it shows presence of 0.16%w/w for ?-sitosterol in leaf extract, 0.07% w/w in bark extract of Putranjiva roxburghii Wall (Family:Euphorbiaceae). Limit of detection and limit of quantitation was found to be 0.04, 0.13 ng spot-1 respectively for ?-sitosterol. The interday and intraday precision was found to be 1.33%, 1.99% (%RSD). Accuracy of the method was performed by recovery studies at three different concentration levels and the average percentage recovery was found to be 98.05% for ?-sitosterol.
Conclusion: The proposed method for the quantitation of ?-sitosterol was found to be simple, specific, accurate and robust in Putranjiva roxburghii Wall.
Kalyani Abhimanyu Kedar, Sanjay R. Chaudhari, Avanapu S. Rao
Putranjiva roxburghii Wall; Euphorbiaceae; B-sitosterol; HPTLC; Method validation.
- Anonymous, The wealth of India: raw materials, New Delhi Publications and Information Directorate, C.S.I.R; 2003.p.134-5
- Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Med. plants, 2nd edition. International Book distributors Dehradun; 1999.p.2190.
- Ambasta SP. The useful plants of India.? C.S.I.R.? New Delhi; 1986.
- Nadkarni KM. Indian Materia Medica. 3rd ed. Bombay Prakashan; 2002.p.1036
- Vaidya U, Nishteswar K. Review Article PUTRANJIVA- A HERB FOR PUMSAVAN (MALE PROGENY FACILITATOR)?. Inter J of Ayu and Pharma Research 2015; 3:? 11-6.?
- Kumar S. Unexplored Ethnobotanical Uses of Some Plants of Family Euphorbiaceae. Journal on New Biological Reports 2012; 1: 67-69.
- Baslas RK. Phytochemical studies of the plants of the genera Euphorbia part II.? Herba Hungerica 1982; 21: 115-26.
- Boonyaprapat N, Chokechaicharoenporn A. Samunprai Maipuenban, Prachachon, Bangkok; 1999.p.262-73
- Chand J. Phytogeographical Analysis of Medicinal Plants in Renuka Forest Division, Research Reformer 2014; 26:21-36.
- Durre S, Muhammad AR, Afifa S, Madiha R, Faiza IC, Merva J, Sami U, Saif U. Antioxidant potential of the extracts of Putranjiva roxburghii, Conyza Bonariensis, Woodfordia? fruiticosa? and? Senecio? chrysanthemoids, African J of Biotech 2012; 11: 4288-95.
- Garg HS, Mitra CR. Putranjiva roxburghii Wall.-II triterpenes of the trunk bark, Phytochemistry 1968;7: 2053-55.
- Sengupta P,? Mukherjee J. Terpenoids and related compounds XI the structure of roxburgholone, a new triterpenoid constituent of Putranjiva roxburghii, Tetrahedron 1968; 24: 6259-64.
- Mukherjee T,? Sarkar T, Paul P,? Chakraborty AK,? Jaisankar P, Mukhopadhyay SB. Putralone, a novel 10alpha-hydroxy-25-nor D: A friedo-oleanane triterpenoid from? Putranjiva roxburghi, Nat Prod Communi? 2012; 7: 511-13.
- Garg HS, Mitra CR. Putraflavone, a new biflavonoid from Putranjiva roxburghii. Phytochem 1971; 10: 2787-91.
- Mark AM. Complementary and alternative medicine for prostate and urologic health. In: Complementary and alternative medicine interventions for BPH/LUTS, Springer Publisher; 2014:43.
- Pednekar PA, Kulkarni V, Raman B. High performance liquid chromatographic method development and validation for the simultaneous determination of gallic acid and beta sitosterol in Ampelocissus latifolia (roxb.) Planch. Asian Journal of pharmaceutical and clinical Research 2014; 7(2):86-89.
- Vinutha K, Vidya SM, Suchetha NK, Ganesh S, Nagendra HG, Pradeepa, Vaman CR. Radioprotective activity of Ficus racemosa ethanol extract against electron beam induced dna damage in vitro, in vivo and in silico. International Journal of pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2015; 7(6); 110-119.
- Alam MR, Rahman AB, Moniruzzaman M, Kadir MF, Haque MA, Alvi MR, Ratan M. Evaluation of antidiabetic phytochemicals in Syzygium cumini (L.) skeels (Family: Myrtaceae). J of App Pharma Sci 2012; 2: 94-98.
- Gupta R, Sharma AK, Dobhal MP, Sharma MC, Gupta RS.? Antidiabetic and antioxidant potential of ?-sitosterol in streptozotocin-induced experimental hyperglycemia. J Diabetes 2011; 3: 29-37.
- Soodabeh S, Azadeh M, Ahmad RG, Mohammad A. The Story of Beta-sitosterol- A Review. Euro J of Med Plants 2014; 4: 590-609.
- Gylling H, Plat J, Turley S, Ginsberg HN, ?Ellegard L, Jessup W, Jones PJ, Lutjohann D, Maerz W, Masana L, Silbernagel G, Staels B, Bor?n J, Catapano AL, De Backer G, Deanfield J, Descamps OS, Kovanen PT, Riccardi G, Tokg?zoglu L, Chapman MJ.?? Plant sterols and plant stanols in the management of dyslipidaemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease. European Atherosclerosis Society Consensus Panel on Phytosterols. Atherosclerosis 2014; 232: 346-360.
- Ravishankara MN, Pillai AD, Padh H, Rajani M. A sensitive HPTLC method for estimation of amentoflavone, a bioactive principle from Biophytum sensitivum (Linn) and Putranjiva roxburghii Wall. J. Planar Chromatogr 2003; 16:201-5.
- Badole M. ?-amyrin and stigmasterol reported from Putranjiva roxburghii WALL by high performance thin layer chromatography. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences 2011; 2:? 346-52.
- Wagner H, Bladt B. Plant Drug Analysis. 2nd? edition.,? Appendix A, Springer Publications;1996.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 10 | November-December 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-12-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 73-78
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1731017
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Kalyani Abhimanyu Kedar, Sanjay R. Chaudhari, Avanapu S. Rao, "A Validated HPTLC Method for the Quantification of ?-Sitosterol In Leaves, Bark of Putranjiva Roxburghii Wall", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 10, pp.73-78, November-December-2017.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1731017