Home > Archives > IJSRST173129
Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Flat Plates - A Comprehensive Study
Authors(2) :-Madhavi R. V., N. Siva Shenkar Reddy
For many years, researchers have been working toward the successful application of finite element technology to the design of reinforced concrete flat plate systems due to practical restrictions inherent in simplified or approximate design techniques. Flat plates are slabs of uniform thickness which are directly supported on columns without use of beams. Flat plates are to be designed for the positive and negative bending moments in the column strip and middle strips. The slab is to be designed with adequate safety margin against punching shear. Flat plates can be designed as waffle slabs by removing concrete in the tension zone and placing the steel reinforcement in the form of groups of bars at intervals equal to the grid size. This arrangement leads to saving of material and reduction in self-weight. Flat plates provide satisfactory floors for panels with adequate headroom due to absence of beams, column capitals or drop. However, in the case of exterior panels, edge beams will be necessary.
Madhavi R. V., N. Siva Shenkar Reddy
Flat slab, FEM, waffle slab
- MOE, J. (1961), "Shearing Strength of reinforced concrete slabs and footings under concentrated loads", Bulletin 047, Portland Cement Association.
- BARZEGAR, F. and MADDIPUDI, S., "Generating Reinforcement in F.E Modeling of Concrete Structures," ASCE Journal of the Structural Engg, vol. 120, pp. 1656 – 1662, May 1994.
- BROTCHIE, J. F. and RUSSELL, J. J., "Flat Plate Structures: Elastic-Plastic Analysis," Journal of the American Concrete Institute, vol. 61, pp. 959–996, August 1964.
- CORLEY, W. G. and JIRSA, J. O., "Equivalent Frame Analysis for Slab Design," Journal of the American Concrete Institute, vol. 67, pp. 875–884, November 1970.
- DAVIES, J. D., "Analysis of Corner Supported Rectangular Slabs," The Structural Engineer, vol. 48, pp. 75–82, February 1970.
- JOFRIET, J. C. and MCNEICE, G. M., "Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Slabs," ASCE Journal of the Structural Division, vol. 97, pp. 785–806, March 1971.
- BASHUR, F. K. and DARWIN, D., "Nonlinear Model for Reinforced Concrete Slabs," ASCE Journal of the Structural Division, vol. 104, pp. 157–170, January 1978.
- BAZANT, Z.P. and CAO, Z. (1987), "Size effect in punching shear failure of slabs", ACI Struct. J., Vo1.84, No.1, pp.44-51.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-01-26
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 128-133
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173129
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Madhavi R. V., N. Siva Shenkar Reddy, "Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Flat Plates - A Comprehensive Study", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.128-133, January-February-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173129