Home > Archives > IJSRST173134
Feasibility of Application of 5-S Methodology in Construction Industry
Authors(2) :-Prashant S. Kuklare, Dr. M. N. Hedaoo
This study presents a feasibility of 5’S methodology in construction management. 5'S is a systematic technique used by organizations comes from five Japanese words, Seiri (sort), Seiton (set in order), Seiso (shine), Seiketsu (standardize), and Shitsuke(sustain). This system helps to organize a workplace for efficiency and decrease wasting and optimize quality and productivity via monitoring an organized environment. It also provides useful visual evidences to obtain more firm result. There is a real need for empirical studies in field of new management systems and their impact on construction management performance. As importance role of continuous improvement in today’s organization, and lack of sufficient evidence to show the positive impact of 5’S on organizational performance, this study aims to determine performance factors and characteristics in industrial organization and identifying the effectiveness of 5’S implementation on organizational performance as well. The results show that 5’S is an effective tool for improvement of management, inventory control, quality of work, decrease in time as well as cost of construction. In this study the feasibility of 5’S methodology is checked by analytically, also advantages and disadvantages in construction management and implementation of each ‘S’ in construction management.
Prashant S. Kuklare, Dr. M. N. Hedaoo
Lean construction, Continuous improvement, Safety, Kaizen, 5S.
- Mohammad Hossein Zaeimbashi Isaabadi, EhsanHarirchian,"Comparison of Different Project Management Systems in Terms of Project Life Cycle Assessment in the Construction Industry", International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE),Volume-4 Issue-2, May 2015.
- Mariano Jiménez and Luis Romero,"5S methodology implementation in the laboratories of an industrialengineering university school''.Safety ScienceVolume 78, Pages 163–172 May 2015.
- T. Salunkhe, G.S. Kamble, Prasad Malage, “Inventory Control and Spare Part Management through 5S, KANBAN and Kaizen at ABC, Industry", IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) volume 7 pp: 43-47, March 2009.
- Vipulkumar C. Pateland HemantThakkar "A Case Study: 5s Implementation in Ceramics Manufacturing Company",Bonfring International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Science, Vol. 4, No. 3, August 2014.
- Michalska, D. Szewieczek ,"The 5S methodology as a tool for improving the organisation", Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, Volume 24 Issue 2 October 2007.
- S. Agrahari and P.A. Dangle, "Implementation Of 5S Methodology In The Small Scale Industry: A Case Study"International Journal Of Scientific & Technology Research Volume 4, Issue 04, April 2015.
- PalomaMartínez Sánchez and Carolina Montoya Rodriguez," Impact of 5S on quality, productivity and organizational climate - Two Analysis Cases" Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Operations Excellence and Service EngineeringOrlando, Florida, USA, September 10-11, 2015.
- Arash Ghodrati1and NorzimaZulkifli,"The Impact of 5S Implementation on Industrial Organizations’ Performance'' International Journal of Business and Management Invention Volume 2 Issue 3 PP.43-49 March. 2013.
- Sunil V. Desale1and Sharad V. Deodhar, " Identification And EliminatingWaste In Construction By Using LeanAnd Six Sigma Principles" International Journal Of Innovative Research In Science, Engineering And TechnologyVolume 3, Special Issue 4, March 2014.
- MihailAurelTitu and ConstantinOprean,"Applying the Kaizen Method and the 5S Technique in the Activity of Post-Sale Servicesin the Knowledge-Based Organization'' International MultiConference of Engineers and scientists Volume 3 March 17-19 2010 Hong Kong.
- A. AbbasianHosseini and A. Nikakhtar," Implementing Lean Construction Theory to Construction Processes’ Waste Management" Journal Of Management in Engineering ASCE 2011.
- Salem and J. Solomon," Lean Construction: From Theory to Implementation" Journal Of Management in Engineering ASCE October 2006 .
- 5S Facilitator’s Guide by www.visualworkplaceinc.com
- 5S/Visual Workplace Handbook by www.bradyid.com/visualworkplace.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 144-147
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173134
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Prashant S. Kuklare, Dr. M. N. Hedaoo, "Feasibility of Application of 5-S Methodology in Construction Industry", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.144-147, January-February-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173134