Home > Archives > IJSRST173134
Feasibility of Application of 5-S Methodology in Construction Industry
Authors(2) :-Prashant S. Kuklare, Dr. M. N. Hedaoo
This study presents a feasibility of 5â€™S methodology in construction management. 5'S is a systematic technique used by organizations comes from five Japanese words, Seiri (sort), Seiton (set in order), Seiso (shine), Seiketsu (standardize), and Shitsuke(sustain). This system helps to organize a workplace for efficiency and decrease wasting and optimize quality and productivity via monitoring an organized environment. It also provides useful visual evidences to obtain more firm result. There is a real need for empirical studies in field of new management systems and their impact on construction management performance. As importance role of continuous improvement in todayâ€™s organization, and lack of sufficient evidence to show the positive impact of 5â€™S on organizational performance, this study aims to determine performance factors and characteristics in industrial organization and identifying the effectiveness of 5â€™S implementation on organizational performance as well. The results show that 5â€™S is an effective tool for improvement of management, inventory control, quality of work, decrease in time as well as cost of construction. In this study the feasibility of 5â€™S methodology is checked by analytically, also advantages and disadvantages in construction management and implementation of each â€˜Sâ€™ in construction management.
Prashant S. Kuklare, Dr. M. N. Hedaoo
Lean construction, Continuous improvement, Safety, Kaizen, 5S.
- Mohammad Hossein Zaeimbashi Isaabadi, EhsanHarirchian,"Comparison of Different Project Management Systems in Terms of Project Life Cycle Assessment in the Construction Industry", International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering (IJRTE),Volume-4 Issue-2, May 2015.
- Mariano Jiménez and Luis Romero,"5S methodology implementation in the laboratories of an industrialengineering university school''.Safety ScienceVolume 78, Pages 163–172 May 2015.
- T. Salunkhe, G.S. Kamble, Prasad Malage, “Inventory Control and Spare Part Management through 5S, KANBAN and Kaizen at ABC, Industry", IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) volume 7 pp: 43-47, March 2009.
- Vipulkumar C. Pateland HemantThakkar "A Case Study: 5s Implementation in Ceramics Manufacturing Company",Bonfring International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Science, Vol. 4, No. 3, August 2014.
- Michalska, D. Szewieczek ,"The 5S methodology as a tool for improving the organisation", Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering, Volume 24 Issue 2 October 2007.
- S. Agrahari and P.A. Dangle, "Implementation Of 5S Methodology In The Small Scale Industry: A Case Study"International Journal Of Scientific & Technology Research Volume 4, Issue 04, April 2015.
- PalomaMartínez Sánchez and Carolina Montoya Rodriguez," Impact of 5S on quality, productivity and organizational climate - Two Analysis Cases" Proceedings of the 2015 International Conference on Operations Excellence and Service EngineeringOrlando, Florida, USA, September 10-11, 2015.
- Arash Ghodrati1and NorzimaZulkifli,"The Impact of 5S Implementation on Industrial Organizations’ Performance'' International Journal of Business and Management Invention Volume 2 Issue 3 PP.43-49 March. 2013.
- Sunil V. Desale1and Sharad V. Deodhar, " Identification And EliminatingWaste In Construction By Using LeanAnd Six Sigma Principles" International Journal Of Innovative Research In Science, Engineering And TechnologyVolume 3, Special Issue 4, March 2014.
- MihailAurelTitu and ConstantinOprean,"Applying the Kaizen Method and the 5S Technique in the Activity of Post-Sale Servicesin the Knowledge-Based Organization'' International MultiConference of Engineers and scientists Volume 3 March 17-19 2010 Hong Kong.
- A. AbbasianHosseini and A. Nikakhtar," Implementing Lean Construction Theory to Construction Processes’ Waste Management" Journal Of Management in Engineering ASCE 2011.
- Salem and J. Solomon," Lean Construction: From Theory to Implementation" Journal Of Management in Engineering ASCE October 2006 .
- 5S Facilitator’s Guide by www.visualworkplaceinc.com
- 5S/Visual Workplace Handbook by www.bradyid.com/visualworkplace.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 144-147
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173134
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Prashant S. Kuklare, Dr. M. N. Hedaoo, "Feasibility of Application of 5-S Methodology in Construction Industry", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.144-147, January-February-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173134