Home > Archives > IJSRST173141
Evaluation of Portable Water Quality in Dutsinma Town, Katsina State, Nigeria
Authors(1) :-Shamsuddeen Idris
The study was conducted to assess the quality of drinking water from three major sources (i.e. treated tap water, borehole water and hand pump water) in order to find out whether or not water quality parameters selected for the study are within the recommended FME (1997) water quality standard. The selected parameters were temperature, PH, taste, colour, odour, turbidity, total suspended solids, hardness, COD, BOD, colony count, coliforms and E-coli. Six sampling points were purposively selected, two points for the treated tap water, two points for boreholes and two points for hand pump. Samples were collected and analyzed for the selected parameters during rainy season. The results obtained from field and laboratory analysis were presented and discussed and comparisons were made between the results and water quality standard set by FME (1997).The data obtained at the time of the study and its comparison with water quality standard revealed that, most of the water sources in the town are safe for human consumption. However, there were slight exhibits of turbidity in samples 1 (water treatment plant), 2 (Injin kuka), 4 (Unguwar kudu hand pump) and 6(Sokoto Rima) suspended solids in tap water and BOD and colony count in all the samples. Coliform was only detected in sample 3 (Low cost hand pump).It was concluded that, occurrences of water related diseases in the town were not totally connected to poor water quality but also to poor sanitation and poor method of collection and preservation of water. One of the recommendations offered is the need for public health education/awareness through which people get acquainted with water related diseases, their health implications and how to overcome them.
Evaluation, water, Water Quality, Dutsinma
- Ayoade J.O (1988) Tropical hydrology and water resources. London, Macmillan publisher Ltd.
- Balarabe,M.I, Oladimeji,A. A and Abubakar S.M. (1995). Issues in land Administration and Development in Northern Nigeria. Department of Geography, Bayero University Kano.
- Bhatia S.C (2006) Environmental Chemistry. .New Delhi, CBS Publishers and Distribution.
- Federal Ministry of Environment (1997) National Guidelines and Standards for water quality in Nigeria.
- Federal Environmental Protection Agency FEPA (1996). Water Quality Monitoring and Environmental status.
- Garette N (2000). Oxford Advanced Geography. U.K OxfordUniversity Press.
- Kiyawa I. F (2009) An assessment of Domestic water quality forHuman Consumption in Kiyawa Town, Jigawa state.Unpublished Msc thesis Dept. of Geography, Bayerouniversity Kano.
- Maigari A.I (2002). Introduction to Environmental Problems and Management. Kano,
- wa’adallah Environmental Consult (WADEC)
- Tukur R. and Abdulkarim B. (2008). Sustainable water ResourcesManagement; A Tool for National Development. APaper Presented at the first national conferenceorganized by school of art and social sciences. IKCOE Dutsin- ma, Katsina state.
- Uchegbu S.N (2002). Environmental Management and Protection (2ndEdition ). Enugu, Spotlite Publishers.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 3 | March-April 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 39-45
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173141
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Shamsuddeen Idris, "Evaluation of Portable Water Quality in Dutsinma Town, Katsina State, Nigeria", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp.39-45, March-April-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173141