Home > Archives > IJSRST173156
Inventory Management Practices for Biomedical Equipment in Public Hospitals : An Evaluative Study
Authors(3) :-Poonam Chaudhary, Mahavir Singh, Raman Sharma
Inventory keeping is an important dimension for the efficient and effective management of medical equipment in the hospital. A lot of capital is invested for the purchase and installations of costly medical equipment in a public hospital. Ironically, documentation and inventory keeping of these assets mostly remains an ignored area. In this study, secondary data was collected on the inventory keeping practices of costly medical equipment in the public hospitals. The study area included one teaching public hospital and one general public hospital of north India. Independent sample 't' test was conducted to find the difference and Pearson's correlation coefficient was calculated to find the correlation of practices of two hospitals. The study found that there was a statistical significant difference in the average mean scores . However, a high degree of correlation existed between two hospitals. The study also found that two elements of inventory keeping practices kept under study were totally lacking in both the hospitals. These were absence of any standardized format and absence of a centralized record system covering all aspects for biomedical equipment.
Poonam Chaudhary, Mahavir Singh, Raman Sharma
Inventory-keeping, best practices, biomedical/ medical equipment, medical equipment management system.
- Chaudhary, P., Singh, M., Kaushal, V., Sharma, R., & Ajmera, P. . Development and Validation of a Measuring Tool for Medical Equipment Management System. International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 5, 9613-9620.
- Sorenson, C., Drummond, M., & Khan, B. B. . Medical technology as a key driver of rising health expenditure: disentangling the relationship. Clinico-Economics and outcomes research: CEOR, 5, 223.
- World Health Organization. . First WHO global forum on medical devices: context, outcomes, and future actions. Retrieved 15 January 2016, from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/70668/1/WHO_HSS_EHT_DIM_11.11_eng.pdf
- . Medical Equipment Maintenance Policy. Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5iJzGtBAID7d3FtTkNRdVVxak0/view?usp=embed_facebook
- WHO Medical device technical series. . Introduction to medical equipment inventory management, WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publication Data, pp. 5-26.
- HSE Medical Devices Equipment Management Policy and Standard. . Medical Devices/Equipment Management Policy. Retrieved 14 January 2017, from http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/corporate/Medicaldevicesequipment.pdf
- Noor, M. M., Magray, I. A., & Chawla, S. . Integration of Healthcare System with its Experts for Improving the Life Expectancy of Medical Devices: A Review.
- . Biomedical Equipment Management and Maintenance. Retrieved January 15, 2017, from nhsrcindia.org/.../Biomedical%20Equipment%20Revised%20[10-02-2015].pdf
- Roper, M., Millar, L. . MANAGING PUBLIC SECTOR RECORDS: A STUDY PROGRAMME. Managing Records in Records Centers. Retrieved 24 January 2017, from
- Patil, P. J., Patil, S. P., Jaltade, V. G., & Gupta, S. S. . Departmental equipment maintenance system in Government Medical College.
- Sharma, J. K., Arora, P. . Evolution and Challenges with Designing Clinical Engineering Informatics Systems in Developing Countries.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 261-267
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173156
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Poonam Chaudhary, Mahavir Singh, Raman Sharma, "Inventory Management Practices for Biomedical Equipment in Public Hospitals : An Evaluative Study", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.261-267 , January-February-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173156