Home > Archives > IJSRST173160
Evaluation of Electrochemical and Fenton Processes in the Treatment of Mature Landﬁll Leachates
Authors(6) :-Alan Oliveira, Alexandre Cerqueira, Paulo Souza, Michelle Rigo, Julieta Paiva, Monica Marques
In this study, the effects of various operating conditions (reaction time, current intensity, pH and H2O2 concentration) in treatment of old municipal landfill leachates by using electrochemical processes (electroflocculation, electro-Fenton and combined electroflocculation+electro-Fenton) was compared to Fenton's reagent oxidation process. The results of this work showed that, E-Fenton technology may be used efficiently for treatment of old municipal landfill leachates by using appropriate operating conditions. The best removal efficiency was obtained when the following operating conditions were used: reaction time of 30 minutes, current intensity of 2A, H2O2 concentration of 0.5% and pH=3. In these conditions, the removal efficiencies achieved for chemical oxygen demand, colour and turbidity were, respectively: 70±2%, 92±2% and 92±2%. The results obtained by the present study revealed that the E-Fenton electrochemical process was efficient in the removal of high concentrations of chemical oxygen demand, colour and turbidity and could be an environmentally promising alternative for the treatment of mature landfills leachates. Furthermore, this process showed lower energy cost and consumption of electrodes
Alan Oliveira, Alexandre Cerqueira, Paulo Souza, Michelle Rigo, Julieta Paiva, Monica Marques
Landfill Leachate, Electro-Fenton, Electroflocculation, Alternating Current and Fenton
- Christensen TH, Kjeldsen P, Bjerg PL, Jensen DL, Christensen JB, Baum A, Albrechtsen H, Heron G. Biogeochemistry of landfill leachate plumes. Appl Geochem. 2001; 16:659-718.
- Renou S, Givaudan JG, Poulain S, Dirassouyan F, Moulin P. Landfill leachate treatment: Review and opportunity. J Hazard Mater. 2008;150(3):468-493.
- Mohajeri S, Aziz HA, Isa MH, Zahed MA, Adlan MN. Statistical optimization of process parameters for landfill leachate treatment using electro-Fenton technique. J Hazard Mater. 2010; 176(1-3):749-758.
- Cortez S, Teixeira P, Oliveira R, Mota M. Evaluation of Fenton and ozone-based advanced oxidation processes as mature landfill leachate pre-treatments. J Environ Manage. 2011;92(3): 749-755.
- Deng Y, Englehardt JD. Hydrogen peroxide-enhanced iron-mediated aeration for the treatment of mature landfill leachate. J Hazard Mater. 2008;153(1-2):293-299.
- Lopez A, Pagano M, Volpe A, Di Pinto AC. Fenton's pre-treatment of mature landfill leachate. Chemosphere. 2004; 54(7):1005-1010.
- Kurniawan TA, Lo W, Chan GYS. Physico-chemical treatments for removal of recalcitrant contaminants from landfill leachate. J Hazard Mater. 2006;129(1-3):80-100.
- Umar M, Aziz HA, Yusoff MS. Trends in the use of Fenton, electro-Fenton and photo-Fenton for the treatment of landfill leachate. Waste Manage. 2010; 30:2113-2121.
- Zhang H, Zhang D, Zhou J. Removal of COD from landfill leachate by electro-Fenton method. J Hazard Mater. 2006;135(1-3):106-111.
- Cerqueira AA, Marques MR, Russo C. Evaluation of electrolytic process in alternate current in treatment of water production. Quím Nova. 2011; 34:59-63.
- Ilhan F, Kurt U, Apaydin O, Gonullu MT. Treatment of leachate by electrocoagulation using aluminium and iron electrodes. J Hazard Mater. 2008;154(1-3):381-389.
- Cerqueira A, Marques MR (2012) Electrolytic treatment of wastewater in the oil industry. In: New technologies in the oil and gas industry, Gomes J (Ed), Intech, Rijeka.
- Moreno CH, Cocke DL, Gomes JA, Morkovsky P, Parga JR, Peterson E, Garcia C. Electrochemical reactions for electrocoagulation using iron electrodes. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2009;48: 2275-2282.
- Saleem M, Bukhari AA. Akram MN. Electrocoagulation for the treatment of wastewater for reuse in irrigation and plantation. J. Basic Appl. Sci. 2011;7(1):11-20.
- Vasudevan S, lakshmi J. Effects of alternating and direct current in electrocoagulation process on the removal of cadmium from water – A novel approach. Sep Purif. Technol. 2011;80(3): 643-651.
- Cerqueira AA, Russo C, Marques MR. Electroflocculation for textile wastewater treatment. Braz. J. Chem. Eng. 2009; 26:659-668.
- Vasudevan S, Lakshmi J, Sozhan G. Effects of alternating and direct current in electrocoagulation process on the removal of cadmium from water. J Hazard Mater. 2011;192:26-34.
- Altin A. Analternative type of photo electro-Fenton process for the treatment of landfill leachate. Sep Purif. Technol. 2008;61(3):391-397.
- Hermosila D, Cortijo M, Huang CP. Optimizing the treatment of landfill leachate by conventional Fenton and photo-Fenton processes. Sci. Total Environ. 2009;407(11):3473-3481.
- Deng Y, Rosario-Muniz E, Ma X. Effects of inorganic anions on Fenton oxidation of organic species in landfill leachate. Waste Manage. Res. 2012;30(1):12-19.
- Li W, Nanaboina V, Zhou Q, Korshin GV. Effects of Fenton treatment on the properties of effluent organic matter and their relationships with the degradation of pharmaceuticals and personal care products. Water Res. 2012;46(2):403-412.
- Chou SS, Huang YH, Lee SN, Huang GH, Huang CP. Treatment of high strength hexamine-containing wastewater by electro-Fenton method. Water Res. 1999;33(3):751-759.
- Brillas E, Sirés I, Oturan MA. Electro-Fenton Process and Related Electrochemical Technologies Based on Fenton’s Reaction Chemistry. Chem. Rev. 2009;109(12):6570-6631.
- American Public Health Association (2012). Standard Methods for The Examination of Water and Wastewater, 22nd ed., APHA: Washington.
- Atmaca E. Treatment by landfill leachate by using electro-Fenton Method. J Hazard Mater. 2009; 163:109-114.
- Papadopoulos AE, Fatta D, Loizidou M. Development and optimization of dark Fenton oxidation for the treatment of textile wastewater with high organic load. J Hazard Mater. 2007;146(3):558-563.
- Singh SK, Tang WZ, Tachiev G. Fenton treatment of landfill leachate under different COD loading factors. Waste Manage. 2013;33(10): 2116-2122.
- Mollah MY, Schennach R, Parga JR, Cocke DL. Electrocoagulation (EC): science and applications. J Hazard Mater. 2001; 84:29-41.
- Kobya M, Hiz H, Senturk E, Aydiner C, Demirbas E. Treatment of potato chips manufacturing wastewater by electrocoagulation. Desalination. 2006; 190(1-3):201-211.
- Kobya M, Delipinar S. Treatment of the Baker's Yeast Wastewater by Electrocoagulation. J Hazard Mater. 2008;154(1-3): 1133-1140.
- Claro EM, Otenio MH, Bidóia NM, Silva MG, Santos V. (Laboratory scale) assessment of electrolytic processing of effluent from an urban sewage stabilization lagoon. Quím Nova. 2010;33(3):557-561.
- Lin SH, Chang, CC. Treatment of landfill leachate by combined electro-Fenton oxidation and sequencing batch reactor method. Water Res. 2000;34(17):4243-4249.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 1 | January-February 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-02-28
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 285-293
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173160
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Alan Oliveira, Alexandre Cerqueira, Paulo Souza, Michelle Rigo, Julieta Paiva, Monica Marques, "Evaluation of Electrochemical and Fenton Processes in the Treatment of Mature Landﬁll Leachates", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 1, pp.285-293, January-February-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173160