Home > Archives > IJSRST173168
Characteristic Analysis of Bio-coal Briquette (Coal and Groundnut Shell Admixtures)
Authors(2) :-Oji Akuma, Monday Charles
In this research work, briquettes of coal and groundnut shell were produced. The different briquette samples produced were made by blending various compositions of coal and grinded groundnut shell in the following ratios of 100:0, 80:20, 60:40, 40:60, 20:80 and 0:100 using clay/rice starch as a binder and calcium oxide as the desulphurizing agent. The briquettes were produced mechanically using a manual briquetting machine. The results of the characteristic and post-briquette analysis showed that the different compositions of the briquettes had reasonable calorific value but that 60% coal:40% groundnut shell briquettes with following values for ash content 32.5 %, fixed carbon 51.50 %, moisture content 7 %, density 0.71 g/cm3, volatile matter 9.0 %, porosity index 48.12 %, HCV 12.10 MJ/kg, LCV 8.04MJ/Kg water boiling test 20 mins, ignition time 13 mins, and burning time 56.14 mins exhibited optimum combustible quality when compared with other compositions of briquettes produced.
Oji Akuma, Monday Charles
Briquette, Coal, Groundnut Shells, Desulphurizing Agent, Binder
- Akinyosoye, J. (1993). Tropical Agriculture for Senior Secondary Schools. London: Macmillan Publishers Ltd.
- Patomsok, W. (2008).Density Equation of Bio-coal Briquette and Quantity of Maize Cob. Thailand: Sample Express Inc.
- Onuegbu, T. U. (2010). Improving Fuel Wood Efficiency in Rural Nigeria: (A Case of Briquette Technology).International Journal of Chemistry in Nigeria. Vol. 3 (4) Pp. 35-39.
- Onuegbu, T. U., Ilochi, N. O., & Okafor I. (2006). Preparation of Environmentally Friendly Bio-Coal Briquette from Ground nut Shell and maize cob biomass waste. Comparative Effect of Ignition time and water boiling Studies, Vol. 4. (4) Pp. 110-118.
- Schirnding Y. , & Bruce, N. (2002).Addressing the Impact of Household Energy and Indoor Air Pollution on the Health of the Poor: Implication for Policy Action and Intervention Measures.Washington D C: Multi-In Press.
- Jekayinfa, S. O.,& Scholz, V. (2009). Potential Availability of Energetically Usable Crop Residues in Nigeria.Lagos: Ola and Sons Ltd.
- Mohammad, S. B. (2005). Bio-coal Briquette Cleaner, Affordable and Sustainable Fuel to Indonesia.Indonesia: Hulk-up Press.
- Birwatkar, V. R, Khandetod, Y. P, Mohod, A. G, & Dhande K. G. (2014). physical and thermal properties of biomass briquetted fuel. Indian Journal of Science Research and Technology. Volume 2 (4). PP 55-62
- Ikelle, I. I., & Ogah, S. P. I. (2014). Determination of the Heating Ability of Coal and Corn Cob Briquettes. Journal of Applied Chemistry. Volume 7, PP 77-82.
- Moore, W., & Johnson, D. (1999). Procedures for the Chemical Analysis of Wood and Wood Products. Madison, U.S. Forest Products Laboratory. U.S.A: Department of Press.
- Maciejewska, A., Veringa, H., Sanders, J., & Peteve, D. (2006). Co-firing of Biomass With Coal Constraints and Role of Biomass. International Journal of Biomass and Constraint, Vol. 79. (34). Pp. 786-789.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 3 | March-April 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 30-38
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173168
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Oji Akuma, Monday Charles, "Characteristic Analysis of Bio-coal Briquette (Coal and Groundnut Shell Admixtures)", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp.30-38 , March-April-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173168