Home > Archives > IJSRST173172
Impact of Groundnut Shell and Waste Paper Admixture on Briquette Properties
Authors(2) :-Oji Akuma, Gbenoba Priscilla
The experimental study was undertaken to assess the combustion characteristic of binder-less briquettes produced from waste paper and groundnut shell. Briquettes were manufactured using a manual briquetting machine using five waste paper and groundnut shells mixing ratios i.e.50:50, 60:40; 70:30; 80:20 and 90:10. Combustion characteristics investigated were ignition time, burning time, density, moisture content, volatile matter, ash content, fixed carbon, calorific values. The values of ash content ranged from 1.27% - 1.07%, the percentage volatile matter ranged from 42.87% - 87.87%, the percentage fixed carbon ranged from 55.86% - 11.06%, the heat value of the briquettes ranged from 33536.77J/Kg – 33228.62J/Kg. The results show that waste paper and groundnut shell up to 20% in composition of the briquettes were found to have good combustion characteristics which qualify them as alternative to firewood for domestic and industrial energy. Further studies should be made on the ultimate analysis of briquettes
Oji Akuma, Gbenoba Priscilla
Admixture, Briquette, Biomass, Groundnut Shell, Waste Paper.
- Singh A, Singh Y. Briquetting of paddy straw. (1982). Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa and Latin America;13(4):42-44.
- Wamukonya L. and B. Jenkins. (1995). Durability and relaxation of sawdust and wheat – straw briquettes as possible fuels for Kenya. Biomass and Bioenergy 8 (3): 175- 179.
- Olorunnisola A. O. (2004). Briquetting of rattan furniture waste. Journal of Bamboo and Rattan 3(2), 139–149.
- Faborode M.O. (1988). Briquetting water hyacinth for domestic and rural agro-industrial fuel application. Proc. National Conference on Utilization of Water Hyacinth, Lagos, Nigeria; pp 179 - 187.
- Adekoya L.O. 1989. Investigation into the briquetting of sawdust. The Nigerian Engineer 24(3):1- 10.
- Ajayi O.A, and C.T. Lawal 1995. Some quality indicators of sawdust/palm oil sludge briquettes. Journal of Agricultural Engineering and Technology (30): 55-65.
- Grigorion, A.H. (2003). Waste paper-wood composites bonded with isocyanate. Wood Science Technology 37(1):79-89.
- Demirbas A, & Sahin A (1998). Evaluation of Biomass Residue Briquetting Waste Paper and Wheat Straw Mixtures, Fuel Processing Technology, 55: 175-183.
- Yaman S, M. Sahan, H. Haykiri-acma, K. Sesen and S. Kucukbayrak 2000. Production of fuel briquettes from olive refuse and paper mill waste. Fuel Processing Technology 68
- Barnard C. (1985). The use of agricultural residues as fuel. AMBIO; XIV: 4-5.
- Bailey, R. T. and Blankenhovn, P. R. (1982). Calorific and Porosity Development in Carbonized wood. Wood Science, 15(1): 19 -28
- Oyelaran, O. A., Bolaji, B. O., Waheed M. A. & Adekunle, M. F. (2014). Effects of Binding Ratios on Some Densification Characteristics of Groundnut Shell Briquette,5(2):167-172.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 3 | March-April 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 12-19
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173172
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Oji Akuma, Gbenoba Priscilla, "Impact of Groundnut Shell and Waste Paper Admixture on Briquette Properties", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp.12-19, March-April-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173172