Home > Archives > IJSRST1733211
Model Analysis of The Effect of Ethanol Blended Diesel Fuels In Diesel Engines on Ignition Delay And Combustion
Authors(4) :-Dogan Simsek, Erdinc Vural, Salih Ozer, N. Yilmaz Colak
The research of alternative fuels in diesel engines is being studied by many researchers. These studies annoy the researchers in terms of time and cost. In this study, Diesel-RK software, used as commercial software, is used to compare 3 different alcohols Butanol (C4H9OH), Methanol (CH3OH) and propanol (C3H8H)) Diesel fuel and 5%, 10% and 15% mixture ratios are modeled as single-cylinder direct injection diesel engines. The most appropriate blended fuels for diesel fuel are compared with diesel fuel in terms of ignition delay and combustion duration at maximum torque cycle. The values obtained are the maximum engine torque (2800 min-1) obtained as 0.4% with B5 fuel, 1.8% with M15 fuel and 1.6% with P15 fuel. In the ignition delays of the fuels modeled at the same engine speed, the ignition delays are also increased by the increasing ratio of butanol, propanol and methanol alcohols to that of diesel fuel. It has been determined that the combustion time is increased in all ratios of methanol alcohol compared to other alcohols.
Dogan Simsek, Erdinc Vural, Salih Ozer, N. Yilmaz Colak
Methanol, Butanol, Propanol, Ignition delay, Diesel engine
- B. R. Kumar, S. Saravanan. 2016. Use of higher alcohol biofuels in diesel engines: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. (60), 84-115, http://dx.doi.org/10.2016/j.rser.2016.01.085.
- A. Imran, M. Varman, H.H. Masjuki, and M. Kalam. 2013. A. Review on alcohol fumigation on diesel engine: a viable alternative dual fuel technology for satisfactory engine performance and reduction of environment concerning emission. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 26, 739-751. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.070.
- H. Bayraktar. 2007. An experimental study on the performance parameters of an experimental CI engine fuelled with diesel?methanol?dodecanol blends. Fuel. 87, 158?164, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2007.04.021.
- E. Koivisto, N. Ladommatos and M. Gold. 2015. Systematic study of the effect of the hydroxyl functional group in alcohol molecules on compression ignition and exhaust gas emissions. Fuel. (153), 650-663, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.03.042.
- G.K. Prashant, D.B. Lata, and P.C. Joshi. 2016. Investigations on the effect of methanol blend on the combustion parameters of dual fuel diesel engine." Applied Thermal Engineering. (103), 187-194, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.04.061.
- B. Cornils. 2004. Handbook of Commercial Catalysts. Heterogeneous Catalysts. Von Howard F. Rase. Angewandte Chemie. 116(18), 2378-2379, doi: 10.1002/ange.200385146.
- K. Liu, H.K. Atiyeh, B.S. Stevenson, R.S. Tanner, M.R. Wilkins and R.L. Huhnke. 2014. Continuous syngas fermentation for the production of ethanol, n-propanol and n-butanol. Bioresource technology, 151, 69-77. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2013.10.059.
- C. Mishra, P. Mishra, B. Kar and N. Katiyar. 2015.? Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of an Agricultural Diesel Engine Fuelled with Blends of Calophyllum Vegetable Oil and Isopropyl Alcohol. SAE Technical Paper. 26-0055, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0055.
- J.T. Moss, A.M. Berkowitz, M.A. Oehlschlaeger, J. Biet, V. Warth, P.A. Glaude and F. Battin-Leclerc. 2008. An experimental and kinetic modeling study of the oxidation of the four isomers of butanol. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A. 112(43), 10843-10855, doi: 10.1021/jp806464p.
- S.K.A. Siddique and K.V.K. Reddy. 2015. Theoretical Investigation on Combustion Chamber Geometry of DI Diesel Engine to Improve the Performance by Using Diesel-RK. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE). 4(10), 25-28.
- A. Frassoldati, A. Cuoci, T. Faravelli, U. Niemann, E. Ranzi, R. Seiser, K. Seshadri. 2010. An experimental and kinetic modeling study of n-propanol and iso-propanol combustion. Combust Flame. 157(1), 2-16, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2009.09.002.
- A.K. Singh, C. Mishra, V. Vibhanshu, N. Kumar. 2013. Performance evaluation and emission studies of a single cylinder diesel engine fuelled with isopropyl alcohol and diesel. SAE Technical Paper Series. http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1132.
- Y. Liu, J. Li and C. Jin. Fuel spray and combustion characteristics of butanol blends in a constant volume combustion chamber. Energy Convers manag. 105, 1059-69,? http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.047.
- M.B.Celik, D. Simsek. 2014. The Determination of Optimum Injection Pressure in an Engine Fuelled with Soybean Biodiesel/Diesel Blend, Thermal Science. 18, 1, 229-238, doi: 10.2298/TSCI120807023C.
- H. Aydin, C. Ilk?l??. 2010. Effect of ethanol blending with biodiesel on engine performance and exhaust emissions in a CI engine. Appl. Therm. Eng.. (30), 1199?1204, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2010.01.037.
- K.A. Subramanian, S.V. Lahane. 2012. Comparative assessment of injection, combustion, performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine for biodiesel?diesel blends. Int. J. Renew. Energy Technol. 3(4), 410?429 http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJRET.2012.049526
- L.C. Lichty. 1967. Combustion Engine Process. Yale University. 220-237.
- B. Safg?n?l, M. Ergeneman, H.E. Arslan, C. Soru?bay. 2013. Internal Combustion Engines, Birsen publishing, pp189.
- Z. Huang, H. Lu, D. Jiang, K. Zeng, B. Liu, J. Zhang, and X. Wang. 2004. Combustion behaviors of a compression-ignition engine fuelled with diesel/methanol blends under various fuel delivery advance angles. Bioresource technology. 95(3), 331-341, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2004.02.018.
- E. Vural, D. ?im?ek, S. ?zer. 2016. The Analysis of the Effect of Diesel Fuel Additive 5%, Compression Ratio and Injection Pressure on the Performance with Diesel-RK Programme. International Conference on Natural Science and Engineering (ICNASE’16). March 19-20, Kilis, 2125-213, Turkey.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 47-54
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1733211
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Dogan Simsek, Erdinc Vural, Salih Ozer, N. Yilmaz Colak, "Model Analysis of The Effect of Ethanol Blended Diesel Fuels In Diesel Engines on Ignition Delay And Combustion ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.47-54, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1733211