Home > Archives > IJSRST173335
Ranking Multi-Factor Criteria in A Make or Buy Decision Using Non-Additive Fuzzy Integrals
Authors(5) :-Emma Serwaa Obobisa, Chen Hai-bo, Henry Asante Antwi, John Osei Antwi, Stephany Abokzele Adongo
In the past firms mostly focused on the cost aspect of make or buy, giving less emphasis on the other determinants of make or buy decisions. Using non-additive fuzzy integrals, we model and rank a collection of multi-factor criteria for make or buy decision. Four component factors classified as resource base, transaction cost, firm size and external factors were analyzed and ranked. We observed that among these variables tested firm's resource base emerged as the highest decision criterion for in make or buy decision over transaction costs. This implies that a firm's resources (FR), proxied by resource availability, innovative competence, share risk/expertise and market penetration were more dominant that cost elements such as supplier competition, buyer experience, volume uncertainty, production cost advantage and technology uncertainty.
Emma Serwaa Obobisa, Chen Hai-bo, Henry Asante Antwi, John Osei Antwi, Stephany Abokzele Adongo
Make, Buy, Decision Multi, Factor, Fuzzy
- Alegre, J., & Chiva, R. (2008). Assessing the impact of organizational learning capability on product innovation performance: An empirical test. Technovation, 28(6), 315-326.
- Bahemia, H., & Squire, B. (2010). A contingent perspective of open innovation in new product development projects. International Journal of Innovation Management, 14(04), 603-627.
- Bharadwaj, A. S. (2000). A resource-based perspective on information technology capability and firm performance: an empirical investigation. MIS quarterly, 169-196.
- Bogers, M., & West, J. (2012). Managing distributed innovation: Strategic utilization of open and user innovation. Creativity and innovation management, 21(1), 61-75.
- Cassiman, B., & Veugelers, R. (2006). In search of complementarity in innovation strategy: Internal R&D and external knowledge acquisition. Management science, 52(1), 68-82.
- Chesbrough, H. W. (2006). Open innovation: The new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Harvard Business Press.
- Das, T. K., & Teng, B. S. (2000). A resource-based theory of strategic alliances. Journal of management, 26(1), 31-61.
- Duysters, G., & Lokshin, B. (2011). Determinants of alliance portfolio complexity and its effect on innovative performance of companies. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 28(4), 570-585.
- Dyer, J. H., & Singh, H. (1998). The relational view: Cooperative strategy and sources of interorganizational competitive advantage. Academy of management review, 23(4), 660-679.
- Easterby‐Smith, M., Lyles, M. A., & Peteraf, M. A. (2009). Dynamic capabilities: Current debates and future directions. British Journal of Management, 20(s1), S1-S8.
- Eisenhardt, K. M., & Martin, J. A. (2000). Dynamic capabilities: what are they?. Strategic management journal, 1105-1121.
- Frenz, M., & Ietto-Gillies, G. (2009). The impact on innovation performance of different sources of knowledge: Evidence from the UK Community Innovation Survey. Research Policy, 38(7), 1125-1135.
- Garriga, H., Von Krogh, G., & Spaeth, S. (2013). How constraints and knowledge impact open innovation. Strategic Management Journal, 34(9), 1134-1144.
- Hagedoorn, J. (2002). Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960. Research policy, 31(4), 477-492.
- Howells, J. (2006). Intermediation and the role of intermediaries in innovation. Research policy, 35(5), 715-728.
- Lakhani, K. R., & Panetta, J. A. (2007). The principles of distributed innovation. innovations, 2(3), 97-112.
- Laursen, K., & Salter, A. (2006). Open for innovation: the role of openness in explaining innovation performance among UK manufacturing firms. Strategic management journal, 27(2), 131-150.
- Lockett, A., Thompson, S., & Morgenstern, U. (2009). The development of the resource‐based view of the firm: A critical appraisal. International Journal of Management Reviews, 11(1), 9-28.
- Moliterno, T. P., & Wiersema, M. F. (2007). Firm performance, rent appropriation, and the strategic resource divestment capability. Strategic Management Journal, 28(11), 1065-1087.
- Newbert, S. L. (2007). Empirical research on the resource‐based view of the firm: an assessment and suggestions for future research. Strategic management journal, 28(2), 121-146.
- Newbert, S. L. (2008). Value, rareness, competitive advantage, and performance: a conceptual‐level empirical investigation of the resource‐based view of the firm. Strategic management journal, 29(7), 745-768.
- Pavlou, P. A., & El Sawy, O. A. (2006). Decomposing and leveraging dynamic capabilities. Anderson Graduate School of Management, University of California.
- Pavlou, P. A., & El Sawy, O. A. (2006). From IT leveraging competence to competitive advantage in turbulent environments: The case of new product development. Information Systems Research, 17(3), 198-227.
- Peteraf, M. A., & Barney, J. B. (2003). Unraveling the resource‐based tangle. Managerial and decision economics, 24(4), 309-323.
- Vega-Jurado, J., Gutiérrez-Gracia, A., & Fernández-de-Lucio, I. (2009). Does external knowledge sourcing matter for innovation? Evidence from the Spanish manufacturing industry. Industrial and corporate change, 18(4), 637-670.
- Villardón Gallego, L., Gallego, L. V., Petrzelova, J., Petrzelova, J., Durkheim, E., Durkheim, E., ... & Isasi Barbieri, M. (2013). El pensamiento de suicidio en la adolescencia (No. 616.89-008.441. 44-053.6 155.5). e-libro, Corp..
- Wade, M., & Hulland, J. (2004). Review: The resource-based view and information systems research: Review, extension, and suggestions for future research. MIS quarterly, 28(1), 107-142.
- Wang, C. L., & Ahmed, P. K. (2007). Dynamic capabilities: A review and research agenda. International journal of management reviews, 9(1), 31-51.
- Welch, J. A., & Nayak, P. R. (1992). Strategic sourcing: a progressive approach to the make-or-buy decision. The Executive, 6(1), 23-31.
- Zhuang, Y., & Lederer, A. L. (2006). A resource-based view of electronic commerce. Information & Management, 43(2), 251-261.
- Zhuang, Y., Lederer, A. L., & Childers, T. L. (2006). Generic strategies for business-to-consumer e-commerce. International journal of electronic business, 4(6), 445-462
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 3 | March-April 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 141-149
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173335
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Emma Serwaa Obobisa, Chen Hai-bo, Henry Asante Antwi, John Osei Antwi, Stephany Abokzele Adongo, "Ranking Multi-Factor Criteria in A Make or Buy Decision Using Non-Additive Fuzzy Integrals", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp.141-149, March-April-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173335