Home > Archives > IJSRST17336
Fabrication and Investigation of Mechanical Properties Hemp Fiber Rienforced Polyester Composites
Authors(3) :-T. N. V. Ashok Kumar, J.Subash Kumar, J.Vijay Kumar
Hemp naturally grows in the Asian is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species that is grown especially for the industrial purposes of its derived products. It is used for a range of commercial products are including paper, clothing, insulation, biodegradable plastics, textiles, paint, biofuel, animal feed, and food. The main aimed of this work is to fabricate and investigate mechanical properties of hemp natural fiber reinforced polyester composites. The fibers were treated with 10% of NaOH, for 2-3 hours under constant stirring and permit for a day at room temperature and then dried in open air for 3-4 days. The chemical treatment is used to increase the tensile strength and removes the moisture content from the fibers. Test mechanical properties such as Impact strength, Flexural properties (Flexural strength, Flexural modulus) and Tensile properties (tensile strength, tensile modulus) when subjected to varying weights of fiber (0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2 grams) were determined.
T. N. V. Ashok Kumar, J.Subash Kumar, J.Vijay Kumar
Fiber Length, Tensile Strength, Flexural Strength, Impact Strength, Hemp Fiber, Polyester Composite.
- Mr. Zafeiropoulos, N. E., Williams, D. R., Baillie, C. A. and Matthews, F. L. (2002). “Engineering and Characterisation of the Interface in Flax Fibre/Polypropylene Composite Materials,” Part I. Development and Investigation of Surface Treatments, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 33(8): 1083–1093.
- Mr. Crowley, J.G., 2011. “The Performance of Cannabis sativa (Hemp) as a Fibre Source for Medium Density Fibre Board (MDF),” Irish Agriculture and Food Development Authority (Teagasc), Carlow, Ireland, pp. 1–11.
- Mr. Karus, M., Vogt, D., 2004. “European hemp industry: cultivation, processing and product lines,” Euphytica 140 (1–2), 7–12.
- Dr. R.B. Choudary, A. Srihari Prasad and N.R.M.R. Bhargava “Feather fiber reinforced polyester composites,” Material Science Research India, Vol. 4(2), 487-492 (2007).
- Mr. Barbera, L., Pelach, M.A., Perez, I., et al. 2011, “Upgrading of hemp core for papermaking purposes by means of organosolv process. Industrial Crops and Products 34 (1), 563–571.
- Mr. Kovacs, I., Rab, A., Rusznak, I., et al.1992, “Hemp (Cannabis sativa) as a possible raw-material for the paper-industry,” Cellulose Chemistry and Technology 26 (5), 627–635.
- Mr. Thomsen, A.B., Thygesen, A., Bohn V., et al. 2006, “Effects of chemical-physical pre-treatment processes on hemp fibres for reinforcement of composites and for textiles,” Industrial Crops and Products 24 (2), 113–118.
- Mr. Vignon, M.R., Dupeyre, D., GarciaJaldon, C., 1996, “Morphological characterization of steam-exploded hemp fibers and their utilization in polypropylene based composites,” Bioresource Technology 58 (2), 203–215.
- Mr. Yates, T., 2006, “The use of non-food crops in the UK construction industry,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 86 (12), 1790–1796.
- Mr. House, J.D., Neufeld, J., Leson, G., 2010, “Evaluating the quality of protein from hemp seed (Cannabis sativa L.) products through the use of the protein digestibility corrected amino acid score method,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 58 (22), 11801–11807.
- Mr. Kreuger, E., Prade, T., Escobar, F., et al. 2011, “Anaerobic digestion of industrial hemp-effect of harvest time on methane energy yield per hectare,” Biomass & Bioenergy 35 (2), 893–900.
- Mr. Favaro, S.L., Ganzerli, T.A., De CarvalhoNeto, A.G.V., et al. 2010, “Chemical, Morphological and Mechanical Analysis of Sisal Fibre-Reinforced Recycled High-Density Polyethylene Composites,” Express Polymer Letters 4 (8), 465–473.
- Mr. Oza, S., Wang R., Lu N., 2011, “Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Recycled High Density Polyethylene/hemp Fiber Composites,” International Journal of Applied Science and Technology 1(5), 31-36.
- Mr. Soljacic, I., Cunko, R., 1994, “Croatian textiles throughout history,” Tekstil 43 (11), 584–602.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 3 | March-April 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 24-28
Manuscript Number : IJSRST17336
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
T. N. V. Ashok Kumar, J.Subash Kumar, J.Vijay Kumar, "Fabrication and Investigation of Mechanical Properties Hemp Fiber Rienforced Polyester Composites", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp.24-28, March-April-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST17336