Home > Archives > IJSRST173390
Is Agile Project Management fit for small tech start-ups?
Authors(1) :-Priti Asthana
Like other professions, project management is evolving, with approaches to project management emerging. As alternatives to the traditional project management methodology, agile software development life cycle models provide innovative approaches to software development. Agile approaches are incremental in nature, with a primary focus on the deliverables of the iterations. These approaches have proven effective in highly complex projects, characterized by high uncertainties and large enterprises have adopted them, with considerable success. While the use of use of agile approaches to project management has brought in large organizations, their applicability in small startups is questionable. This is largely due to the differences between large and small enterprises. Small scale startups have limited funding, limited number of developers and are constantly faced with the constraints of time and cost and may not be able to use agile approaches with ease. Through a critical examination of the benefits and disadvantages of agile approaches to software development, particularly Scrum and Extreme Programming, this paper explores the possibility of extending agile approaches to small startups. The paper concludes that agile approaches to project managers are not fit for small tech startups.
Agile methodology, Scrum, Extreme Programming, Project Management
- Cockburn, A. and Highsmith, J. (2001). Agile Software Development joins the “would-be” crowd. Cutter IT Journal. 34(9), 122 James, M. Scrum Methodology: An Empirical Framework for Learning (Not a Methodology).
- Satzinger, J., Jackson, R., & Burd, S. (2016). Systems analysis and design in a changing world. Boston: Cengage Learning.
- Stare, A. (2013). Agile project management – a future approach to the management of projects? Dynamic Relationships Management Journal, 2(1), 43-53.
- Thomsett, R. (2002). Radical Project Management. Upper Saddle River (NJ): Prentice Hall PTR
- Wysocki, R. (2009). Effective project management: traditional, agile, extreme (5th ed.). Indianapolis: Wiley Publishing.
- Yau, A., and Murphy, C. (2013). Is Rigorous Agile Methodology the Best Development Strategy for Small Scale Tech Startups?
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 3 | March-April 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-04-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 299-303
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173390
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Priti Asthana, "Is Agile Project Management fit for small tech start-ups?", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 3, pp.299-303 , March-April-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173390