Home > Archives > IJSRST173412
Design and Analysis of Flue Gas Waste Heat Recovery System for Refrigeration In A Thermal Power Plant
Authors(2) :-Prashant S. Mawade, Prof. K.M.Watt
Huge amount of energy wasted through the flue gas in thermal power station causes a great concern in recent years. Discharging hot flue gas in the environment is not only a wastage of energy but also increases the rate of global warming. Efforts are given world-wide to harness the energy for useful purposes. The main objective of this research work focuses on tapping the unused heat energy from the flue gas in a 270 MW thermal power plant and using the same for refrigeration purpose for the large cooling load requirements in a thermal power plant. The waste heat of flue gas is utilized in vapour absorption refrigeration plant by using gas to liquid multi-pass cross flow heat exchanger that is placed in the existing space between boiler and chimney. Vapour Absorption Machine doesnít require very high temperature and also requires a little operational power as compared to Vapour Compression Refrigeration Machine. Hence, this work intends to replace existing Freon-12 refrigerant based Vapour Compression Refrigeration System during the thermal power plant operational hours and thus preventing ozone depletion. This research work also aims in minimizing global warming and also high suspended particulate matters based air pollution by reducing temperature of exhaust gas emitted to the atmosphere. The project work selects the most economic design of a heat exchanger as the final design and analyses the design by a ANSYS software on detailed design parameters of gas to liquid multi-pass cross flow heat exchanger.
Prashant S. Mawade, Prof. K.M.Watt
Thermal power plant, Gas to liquid heat exchanger, Vapour absorption refrigeration, Global warming, Ozone depletion, ANSYS software
- K. Balaji and R. Senthil Kumar, “Study of Vapour Absorption System Using Waste Heat in Sugar Industry,” IOSR Journal of Engineering (IOSRJEN), Volume 2, Issue 8, pp. 34-39, 2012.
- Nirmal Sajan, Ruben Philip, Vinayak Suresh, Vishnu M and Vinay Mathew John, Saintgits College of Engineering, Kerala, “Flue gas low temperature heat recovery system for refrigeration and air-conditioning”, International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology eISSN: 2319-1163,pISSN: 2321-7308.
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency,” Energy Performance Assessment for Equipment and Utility Systems”, 4th Edition, New Delhi, India, 2015.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, “Technical Datasheet for 270 MW Thermal Power Plant”, India, 2009.
- Ramesh K. Shah and Dusan P. Sekulic, “Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1st Edition., Hoboken, New Jersey,2003.
- P. K.Nag, “Heat and Mass Transfer”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2nd Edition, 2007.???
- R. S. Khurmi and J.K. Gupta, “A Textbook of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning”, S. Chand, 5th Edition, New Delhi, 2014.
- C.P.Arora, “A Textbook of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning”, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2nd Edition, 2003.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 38-46
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173412
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Prashant S. Mawade, Prof. K.M.Watt, "Design and Analysis of Flue Gas Waste Heat Recovery System for Refrigeration In A Thermal Power Plant", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.38-46, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173412