Home > Archives > IJSRST173415
A Review on the Role of Fermented Foods as Health Promoters
Authors(5) :-Fatima Asghar, Sikander Ali, Anum Goraya, Ifrah Javaid, Zahid Hussain
Food is a word that lures the taste buds. But when fermentation comes in between then it is not the case for taste only as the health gets involved too. Different microbial cultures are used in fermenting process that renders different tastes, different textures and even different characteristics to fermented foods. Fermented foods have been in use since prehistoric times. They are easily produced and commercially available as well. They not only have nutritional effect but have health promoting characteristics as well. Kefir, Soy, Cheese, Kimchi are some of the most notable fermented foods. Their consumption can modulate the immune system, prevent allergies, detoxify body and can battle pathogenic microorganism. They have been reported to lower cancers risk and lower the damaging cholesterol level. High cholesterol content is found to be associated with coronary diseases. Chemical medications to heal wounds leave certain side effects such as hyperpigmentation. Fermented foods can be used as an alternative in healing the wounds. Their role in increasing proper brain functioning (cognitive functions) is also significant. More research and analysis is required to understand the fermented foods well.
Fatima Asghar, Sikander Ali, Anum Goraya, Ifrah Javaid, Zahid Hussain
Immunomodulation, Kefir, Kimchi, Kombucha, LDL, Detoxification
- Akira,S. and H. Hemmi.2003.Recognition of pathogen-associated molecular pat-terns by TLR family. Immunol Lett.,85:85?95.
- Atalan, G., I.Demirkan,H. Yaman and M.Cina.2003. E?ect of topical kefir application on open wound healing on in vivo study. Kafkas Univ. Vet. Fak. Dderg., 9: 43?47.
- Beena, A. and V.Prasad. 1997. E?ect of yogurt and bifidus yogurt fortified with skim milk powder, condensed whey and lactose-hydrolysed condensed whey on serum cholesterol and triacylglycerol levels in rats. J. Dairy Res., 64: 453?457.
- Benjamin,C.,T.Bourrie,P.Benjamin, P.Willing and P.Cotter.2016. The Microbiota and Health
- Promoting Characteristics of the Fermented Beverage Kefir. Front Microbiol.,7:1-3.
- Brandtzaeg,E.2002. Current understanding of gastrointestinal immuno-regulation and its relation to food allergy. Ann N Y Acad Sci.,964: 13?45.
- Calder,C.,S.Etschmann and E. Jong.2006. Early nutrition and immunity - progress and perspectives. Br J Nutr.,96:774?90.
- Camfield,D.A.,L. Owen ,A.B. Scholey ,A. Pipingas and C. Stough. 2011. Dairy constituents and neurocognitive health in ageing. Br J Nutr.,106: 159-174.
- Cevikbas, A., E.Yemni,F. Ezzedenn,T. Yardimici,U. Cevikbas and S.Stohs. 1994. Antitumoural antibacterial and antifungal activities of kefir and kefir grain. Phytother. Res.,8: 78?82.
- Chilton,N.,J.Burton and G.Reid.2015. Inclusion of fermented foods in food guides around the world.Nutrients.,7(1):390-404.
- Demir,N., K.Bahceci and J.Acar.2006. The e?ects of di?erent initial Lactobacillus plantarum concentrations on some properties of fermented carrot juice. J. Food Process. Preserv., 30:352?363.
- Depeint ,F.,G. Tzortzis,J. Vulevic , K.Ianson and G.Gibson.2008. Prebiotic evaluation of a novel galacto-oligosaccharide mixture produced by the enzymatic activity of Bifidobacterium bifidum NCIMB 41171, in healthy humans: a randomized, double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled intervention study. Am J Clin Nutr.,87:785?91.
- Di Cagno, R.,R. Coda, M. Angelis and M. Gobbetti.2013. Exploitation of vegetables and fruits through lactic acid fermentation. Food Microbiol., 33: 1?10.
- Endrizzi, I.,G. Pirretti,D. Calo and F. Gasperi.2009. A consumer study of fresh juices containing berry fruits. J. Sci. Food Agric.,89:1227?1235.
- Ewaschuk, B., H. Diaz and L. Meddings.2008. Secreted bioactive factors from Bifidobacterium infantis enhance epithelial cell barrier function. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol.,295:1025?1034.
- Golowczyc, M. A.,M. Gugliada,A. Hollmann,L. Delfederic,G. Garrote and A. Abraham.2008. Characterization of homofermentative Lactobacilli isolated from kefir grains: potential use as probiotic. J. Dairy Res., 75:211?217.
- Granier,A.,O.Goulet and C.Hoarau.2013. Fermentation products: immunological effects on human and animal models.Int.Mech.Rev.,74(2):1-2.
- Hamet,F.,A. Londero,M. Medrano,E. Vercammen,K.Hoorde and G. Garrote.2013. Application of culture-dependent and culture-independent methods for the identification of Lactobacillus kefiranofaciens in microbial consortia present in kefir grains.Food Microbiol., 36:327?334.
- Huseini, F.,G. Rahimzadeh,M. Fazeli,M. Mehrazma and M.Salehi.2012. Evaluation of wound healing activities of kefir products. Burns .,38:719?723.
- Isolauri,E., S. Rautava, M. Kalliom?ki, P. Kirjavainen and S. Salminen.2002. Probiotic research: learn from the evidence.Eur J All Clin Immun.,57(11):1076-1077.
- Jung, Y., S.Lee? and C.Jeon.2014. Kimchi microflora: history, current status, and perspectives for industrial kimchi production. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 98: 2385?2393.
- Jarrell,J.,T. Cal and J. Bennett.2000. The Kombucha Consortia of yeasts and bacteria. Elsevier.,14 (4): 166?170.
- Kabak, B. and A.Dobson.2011. An introduction to the traditional fermented foods and beverages of Turkey. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr., 51: 248?260.
- Kapsenberg,L.2003. Dendritic-cell control of pathogen-driven T-cell polarization. Nat Rev Immunol., 3:984?993.
- Kim,B.,V.Hong, J.Yang, H.Hyun, J.Jamie, J. Hwang, S.Yoon and J.Kim.2016. A Review of Fermented Foods with Beneficial Effects on Brain and Cognitive Function. Prev. Nutr. Food Sci.,21(4):297-309.
- Kwak,S.,Y.Cho,G.Noh and A.Om.2014.Cancer preventive potential of Kimchi Lactic acid bacteria(Weissella cibaria,Lactobacillus plantarum).J Cancer Prev.,19(4):253-258.
- Liu, H., Y.Xie, L. Xiong, R. Dong, C. Pan and G. Teng.2012. E?ect and mechanism of cholesterol-lowering by kluyveromyces from Tibetan kefir. Adv. Mater. Res., 343:1290?1298.
- Mackowiak, P. A.2013. Recycling metchniko?: probiotics, the intestinal microbiome and the quest for long life. Front Public Health.,1:52.
- Marco,L.,D.Heeney,S.Binda,C.Cifelli,P.Cotter,B.Foligne,M.Ganzle,R.Kort,G.Pasin,A.Pihlanto,E.Smid and R.Hutkins.2017.Health benefits of fermented foods: microbiota and beyond. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol., 44:94-102.
- McGovern,E.,J.Zhang,J.Tang,Z.Zhang,G.Hall and R.Moreau.2004. Fermented beverages of pre-and proto-historic China. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.,101:17593?17598.
- Nair,M., D.Chouhan, S.Gupta and S.Chattopadhyay.2016. Fermented Foods: Are They Tasty Medicines for Helicobacter pylori Associated Peptic Ulcer and Gastric Cancer?.Front Microbiol., 7:1-5.
- Ozawa,M.,T.Ninomiya,T.Ohara,Y.Doi,K.Uchida,T.Shirota,K.Yonemoto,T.Kitazono and Y. Kiyohara. 2013. Dietary patterns and risk of dementia in an elderly Japanese population: the Hisayama Study. Am J Clin Nutr.,97: 1076-1082.
- Park,Y.,J. Jeong,Y. Lee and Y.Daily. 2014. Health benefits of kimchi (Korean fermented vegetables) as a probiotic food. J. Med. Food .,17:6?20.
- Parvez,S.,K.Malik,S.Kang and H.Kim.2006.Probiotics and their fermented food? products are beneficial for health.J.Appl.Microbiol.,100(6):1171-1185.
- Patra,J., G.Das, S.Paramithiotis and H.Shin.2016. Kimchi and Other Widely Consumed Traditional Fermented Foods of Korea: A Review. Front Micbiol.,7:1-2.
- Powell, J. E., R.Witthuhn,S. Todorov? and L.Dicks.2007.Characterization of bacteriocin ST8KF produced by a kefir isolate Lactobacillus plantarum ST8KF. Int. Dairy J.,17:190?198.
- Pulendran, B.,J. Banchereau,E. Maraskovsky and C. Maliszewski.2001.Modulating the immune response with dendritic cells and their growth factors. Trends Immunol.,22:41?47.
- Qi, H.,T. Denning and L. Soong.2003. Differential induction of interleukin-10 and interleukin-12 in dendritic cells by microbial toll-like receptor activators and skewing of T-cell cytokine profiles. Infect Immun.,71: 3337?3342.
- Rhee,J.,P. Sethupathi,A. Driks,D. Lanning and K. Knight.2004. Role of commensal bacteria in development of gut-associated lymphoid tissues and preimmune antibody repertoire. J Immunol.,172:1118?1124.
- Rolle, R. and M.Satin.2002. Basic requirements for the transfer of fermentation technologies to developing countries. Int. J. Food Microbiol., 75:181?187.
- Romond ,B.,A. Ais,F. Guillemot,R. Bounouader ,A. Cortot? and C. Romond .1998. Cell-free whey from milk fermented with Bifidobacterium breve C50 used to modify the colonic microflora of healthy subjects. J Dairy Sci.,81: 1229?35.
- Ryan,P., M.Rea, C. Hill and R. Ross.1996. An application in cheddar cheese manufacture for a strain of Lactococcus lactis producing a novel broad-spectrum bacteriocin, lacticin 3147. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 62: 612?619.
- Santos, A.,M. Mauro,A. Sanchez,J. Torres and D.Marquina.2003. The antimicrobial properties of di?erent strains of Lactobacillus spp. isolated from kefir. Syst. Appl. Microbiol.,26: 434?437.
- Sibel,A., S.G?n? and S.D?zel.1997. Influence of yogurt and acidophilus yogurt on serum cholesterol levels in mice. J. Dairy Sci.,80:2721?2725.
- Sjogren, Y. M.,M.Jenmalm, M.Bottcher,B. Bjorksten and E.Sverremark.2009.Altered early infant gut microbiota in children developing allergy up to 5 years of age. Clin. Exp. Allergy., 39:518?526.
- Smits, H.H.,E. Jong,E. Wierenga and M. Kapsenberg.2005. Different faces of regulatory DCs in homeostasis and immunity. Trends Immunol.,26:123?129.
- Stanton, C.,R.P.Ross,G. Fitzgerald and D. Sinderen.2005. Fermented functional foods based on probiotics and their biogenic metabolites. Curr. Opin.Biotechnol., 16:198?203.
- Swain, M. R.,M. Anandharaj,R. Ray and R.Rani.2014. Fermented fruits and vegetables of Asia: a potential source of probiotics. Biotechnol. Res. Int., 25:1.
- Tamime,Y. 2002. Fermented milks: a historical food with modern applications-a review. Eur.J.Clin.Nutr.,56: 2-15.
- Vujici,I., M.Vulic and T. K?nyves.1992. Assimilation of cholesterol in milk by kefir cultures. Biotechnol. Lett.,14:847?850.
- Wang ,Y., P.Jones ,L. Ausman and A. Lichtenstein.2004.Soy protein reduces triglyceride levels and triglyceride fatty acid fractional synthesis rate in hypercholesterolemic subjects.Atherosclerosis.,173(2):269-75.
- West,E. 2014. Gut microbiota and allergic disease: new findings. Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab Care., 17:261?266.
- Wood,R.A. 2003.The natural history of food allergy.Pediatrics.,111:1631-1637.
- Yazdanbakhsh, M., P.Kremsner and R. Ree. 2002. Allergy, parasites, and the hygiene hypothesis. Science., 296:490?494.
- Zhuang, G.,X. Liu,Q. Zhang and H. Zhang. 2012. Research advances with regards to clinical outcome and potential mechanisms of the cholesterol-lowering e?ects of probiotics. Clin. Lipidol.,7:501?507.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 141-148
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173415
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Fatima Asghar, Sikander Ali, Anum Goraya, Ifrah Javaid, Zahid Hussain, "A Review on the Role of Fermented Foods as Health Promoters", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.141-148, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173415