Home > Archives > IJSRST173431
Performance Characteristics of Refrigerants
Authors(1) :-Ajoko Tolumoye John
The increasing concern of climate change is the alarming issue to the designers, distributors and end time users of refrigeration and air conditioning systems. The continuous use of convectional refrigerants with chlorine molecules has been the bottleneck and drawbacks set to cover by research. Thus, the current study is designed to bridge some of these research gaps. Therefore, a detailed evaluation of refrigerants with the aid of a training simulator capable of analysing the thermo-physical properties and performance of some selected blend of refrigerants is the focal point of the study. The study creates decision policies on the selection of the best and ecofriendly refrigerant(s) to be used in the refrigeration/air conditioning systems. However, simulated results confirm HFC â€“ R134a blend of refrigerants as the best due to its high proficient coefficient of performance (COP) value of 3.23 and 2.84 against 2.88 and 2.38; 1.33 and 2.53; 1.40 and 1.85 for R12, R22 and R600a respectively for thermostatic expansion valve (TEV) and Capillary tube operation modes. It also attests that R134a and R12 as established from the practical results are the most appropriate refrigerants for domestic and industrial heating respectively. Hence, results are justifiable and the process of this study could be used as tool for the selection process of refrigerants with zero ozone depleting potentials.
Air-Conditioning, Capillary tube, Coefficient of Performance, Refrigerants, Refrigeration cycle, Stabilization point, Thermostatic Expansion Valve, TPS Simulator.
- Ajoko, T.J., Refrigeration Systems for University Students. 2015, No 8 Otiotio Road, Yenegoa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria: Oshe Printing Press/Publications.
- Elumalai, P., R. Vijayan, P. S.S. Srinivasan and C. Chinnaraj, An Investigation on the Performance Characteristics of Environment-Friendly Refrigerant Mixtures in a Window Air Conditioner. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 2015. 23 (5): p. 987-992.
- Allgood, C.C. and C.C. Lawson, Performance of R-438A in R-22 refrigeration and air conditioning systems. 2010.
- Munasinghe, M. and K. King, Protecting the ozone layer. Finance and Development, 1992. 29(2): p. 24-5.
- Grace, I. and S. Tassou, Simulation of the performance of alternative refrigerants in liquid chillers. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 2001. 215(4): p. 429-441.
- Janković, Z., I. Matić, and M. Živić, Mathematical Model of Complete Vapor Compression Refrigeration System with Helical Coil Evaporator Flooded in the Water. Transactions of FAMENA, 2016. 40(SI-1): p. 33-46.
- Gullo, P., B. Elmegaard, and G. Cortella, Energy and environmental performance assessment of r744 booster. Thermal Engineering, 2015. 87: p. 633-647.
- A. Pavani, P.M. Reddy, and G.M.P. Yadav, Performance Analysis of Refrigeration System Using Various Alternative Refrigerants. Advanced Engineering and Applied Sciences: An International Journal, 2014. 4(1): p. 12-16.
- Nagalakshmi, K. and G.M. Yadav, The Design and Performance Analysis of Refrigeration System Using R12 & R134a Refrigerants. Mechanical engineer at St. Jhons College of Engg &Technology, Yemmiganur-518360, A. P, India, 2014. 2.
- Gullo, P., B. Elmegaard, and G. Cortella, Energy and environmental performance assessment of R744 booster supermarket refrigeration systems operating in warm climates. international journal of refrigeration, 2016. 64: p. 61-79.
- Ge, Y. and S. Tassou, Thermodynamic analysis of transcritical CO 2 booster refrigeration systems in supermarket. Energy Conversion and Management, 2011. 52(4): p. 1868-1875.
- Domanski, P., D. Yashar, and M. Kim. Performance of HC and HFC refrigerants in a finned-tube evaporator and its effect on system efficiency. in Natural Working Fluids Conference, 6th IIR Gustave Lorentzen. Proceedings. 2004.
- National Universities Commission (NUC), and Skill 'G' Nigeria Ltd, Science and Technology Education Training Manual on Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration Training Systems for Higher Educational Institution (HEIs) and Technical Vocational Educational Training (TVET). 2015, Abuja - Nigeria: Scientific Educational Systems (SES).
- Rajput, R., Thermal engineering. 2010: Laxmi Publications.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 243-249
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173431
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ajoko Tolumoye John, "Performance Characteristics of Refrigerants", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.243-249, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173431