Home > Archives > IJSRST173438
Heat Transfer Enhancement in Tube Using Circular Square Cut Inserts
Authors(4) :-Gaurav Nikam, Pratik Nirgudkar, Yogesh Pawar, Prof. Mukesh A. Mane
An experimental investigation is carried for heat transfer enhancement with the help of square cut circular insert for heat exchanger applications. This experimental investigation is for measuring tube side heat transfer coefficient friction factor, Reynolds number of air for tuebulent flow in circular tube fitted with square ut circular ring insert. An experimental setu consist of blower, flow control valve to maintain measured quantity of flow, orifice meter is used for flow measurement, pressure drop is measured along test section and orifice plate with 2 U-tube manometers. A stainless steel tube of SS304 material having 40mm I.D and 50mm O.D and 1250mm length is used. A mild steel plate of 5mm thickness square cut with 10mm width and 10mm depth is used as the insert.A 10mm hole is drilled in the centre of the circular disc. The enhancement devices of the square cut insert show a considerable improvement of Nusselt number and friction factor relative to the plain section without inserts and smooth tube acting alone. The Nusselt number is found to increase with increase in the Reynolds number of individual iterations of 6 inserts, 5 inserts. The highest Nusselt number is found to be 63.83 for 6 circular square cut inserts in the tube with alternate angles of 18° and Reynolds number of about 14000. The friction factor is found to increase with decrease in the Reynolds number and vice versa. The friction factor is maximum for the tube with 6 inserts and about 0.0294 and lowest for the tube without inserts of about 0.027. The friction factor is found to be maximum at the lowest Reynolds number value of about 13400. The heat transfer coefficient for convective transfer of heat is found out to be maximum for the tube with 6 inserts. The maximum value of h is 43.24 W/m²K for a Reynolds of about 13400.
Gaurav Nikam, Pratik Nirgudkar, Yogesh Pawar, Prof. Mukesh A. Mane
Circular square cut insert, Dimensional analysis, Heat transfer augmentation, Nusselt no, Reynolds no.
- Akhilesh N. Joshi , Prof. S. M. Lawankar “Heat Transfer Enhancement in Tube by Inserting Twisted Tape with Alternate Axes” IJSRD - International Journal for Scientific Research & Development Vol.2, (Issue 04, 2014)ISSN (online):2321-0613.
- Bodius Salam, Sumana Biswas, ShuvraSaha, Muhammad Mostafa K Bhuiya “Heat transfer enhancement in a tube using rectangular-cut twisted tape insert.” Procedia Engineering 56 ( 2013 ) pp.96 - 103.
- Chou Xie Tan, Wai Loon Mah, Yew Mun Hung, Boon Thong Tan, “ON the role of inserts in forced convection heat transfer augmentation” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 39 (2012) pp.1132-1145.
- Dr. A.G. Matani, Md.Rafik S. Choudhari “Analysis of Heat Transfer Augmentation in Tube Using Triangular Wavy Tape Inserts”, International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science.Volume3, Issue3, May-June,2015, ISSN 2091 -2730.
- Ganesh R. Ghodake, “Experimental Analysis of Heat Transfer and Friction Factor Characteristics in Turbulent Flow through a Tube Fitted with Screw Tape“ GRD Journals- Global Research and Development Journal for Engineering Volume 1,Issue 7,June2016,ISSN:2455-5703.
- M.M.K. Bhuiya, M.S.U. Chowdhury, M. Saha, M.T. Islam “Heat transfer and friction factor characteristics in turbulent flow through a tube fitted with perforated twisted tape inserts.” International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 46 (2013) pp.49-57.
- M.M.K. Bhuiya, J.U. Ahamed, M.S.U. Chowdhury, M.A.R. Sarkar, B. Salam, R. Saidur, H.H. Masjuki, M.A. Kalam “Heat transfer enhancement and development of correlation for turbulent flow through a tube with triple helical tape inserts.”International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 39 (2012) pp. 94-101.
- M.M.K. Bhuiya, J.U. Ahamed, M.S.U. Chowdhury, M.A.R. Sarkar, B. Salam, R. Saidur, H.H. Masjuki, M.A. Kalam “Heat transfer performance for turbulent flow through a tube using double helical tape insert.”International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 39 (2012) pp. 818-825.
- M.M.K. Bhuiya, J.U. Ahamed, M.S.U. Chowdhury, M.A.R. Sarkar, B. Salam, R. Saidur, M.A. Kalam “Heat transfer performance evalution for turbulent flow through a tube with twisted wire brush insert.”International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer 39 (2012) pp. 1505-1512.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 310-313
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173438
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Gaurav Nikam, Pratik Nirgudkar, Yogesh Pawar, Prof. Mukesh A. Mane, "Heat Transfer Enhancement in Tube Using Circular Square Cut Inserts", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.310-313, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173438