Home > Archives > IJSRST173469
Testing method and techniques for damage control and protection of industrial fasteners and weldments from failure due to Hydrogen Embrittlement
Authors(2) :-Swasti Shree Jain,Dr. Manish Vishwakarma
Hydrogen embrittlement is a popular occurrence in which a metal is undermined by the inclusion of hydrogen in or beneath its surface. Hydrogen embrittlement (HE) of steels is of grave concern in many industries e.g. power, oil, aerospace, automobile, transport & other key applications, where breakdown can have disastrous consequences. This paper focuses on the testing methods of industrial fasteners whose working conditions are teemed with hydrogen in molecular as well as atomic form. This paper also emphasizes on the damage control and protection from failure due to HE. The prevention of HE is a chief concern for designers, manufacturers and application engineers. This is principally true with respect to the selection and application of materials, manufacturing process, application environment &service conditions. In path of describing the techniques for protection from HE, the various significant aspects of hydrogen embrittlement e.g. failure characteristics, mechanism, identification, testing etc. have been discussed with a view to provide a whole insight of the subject. This paper presents a re-examination of recent research emphasising to protect the equipments/ components with special reference to fasteners from HE failure leading to augmentation in service life. The literature shows that regardless of much work done on hydrogen embrittlement, the researchers agree that major part is still hazy and substantial scope of discussion exists regarding the mechanisms.
Swasti Shree Jain,Dr. Manish Vishwakarma
hydrogen embrittlement, mechanism, astm testing methods, embrittlement, susceptibility.
- W. H. Johnson: Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, 23 (1875) 168?179.
- B. Phull, "Evaluating Hydrogen Embrittlement," Corrosion, Volume 13A, ASM Handbook, ASM International, 2003, pages 617-624 Adapted from L. Raymond, "Evaluation of Hydrogen Embrittlement," Corrosion, Volume 13, ASM Handbook (formerly 9 ~ edition Metals Handbook), ASM International, 1987, pages 283-290.
- R. S. Treseder, "Oil Industry Experience with Hydrogen Embrittlement and Stress Corrosion Cracking." Stress Corrosion Cracking and Hydrogen Embrittlement of iron Base Alloys, Conference held in Unieux-Firminy, France, 1973, pp. 147-161.
- Raymond, L., Ed. Hydrogen Embrittlement Testing, ASTM STP 543, ASTM, West Conshohocken, PA, 1972.
- "NACE Glossary of Corrosion-Related Terms," NACE International, 2002.
- Darren Michael Bromley, “hydrogen embrittlement testing of austenitic Stainless steels”, The university of british columbia, 2008.
- Salim brahimi Hydrogen Embrittlement in steel fasteners, ENG., IBECA Technologies Corp., July 2014.
- Ravinder kumar& Deepak gaur, “ Overview of hydrogen embrittlement in fasteners”, Impact: international journal of research in engineering & technology (Impact: IJRET) vol. 2, issue 4, apr 2014, 239-244.
- Q. CHEN, F. ROGER, J. ANGLES , Z. MOUMNI, C. ROUBY “Review of modeling and simulation of hydrogen induced cold cracking in alloy steel weldments”, 21?me Congr?s Fran?ais de M?canique 2013
- Yurioka N. and Suzuki H., Hydrogen assisted cracking in C-Mn and low alloy steel weldments, International materials reviews, 1990.
- ASTM F 1459- 06 “Standard Test Method for Determination of the Susceptibility of Metallic Materials to HGE”.
- ASTM F519-97 (most recently revised July, 2000), "Mechanical Hydrogen Embrittlement Evaluation of Plating Processes and Service Environments," (West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM).
- ASTM B839-94 "Standard Test Method for Residual Embrittlement in Metallic Coated, Externally Threaded Articles, Fasteners, and Rod- Inclined Wedge Method," (West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM).
- General Motors Engineering Standard GM3661P"Determination of Hydrogen Embrittlement by Static Loading,"(U.S.A.: General Motors Engineering Standards), 1988.
- George E. Dieter and David Bacon, “Mechanical Metallurgy, ”McGraw-Hill Book Company, ISBN 0-07-100406-8.
- Mar G. Fontana, “Corrosion Engineering,” McGraw-Hill Book Company, ISBN 978-0-07-060744-6.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 279-285
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173469
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Swasti Shree Jain,Dr. Manish Vishwakarma, "Testing method and techniques for damage control and protection of industrial fasteners and weldments from failure due to Hydrogen Embrittlement", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.279-285, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173469