Home > Archives > IJSRST173470
Evolution of Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) in Sri Lanka: Analysis of the state responsibility
Authors(1) :-Buddhiprabha D. D. Pathirana
Notion of the early childhood as the period of most rapid human growth with greatest sensitivity to environmental influences is a globally acclaimed concept. The government of Sri Lanka has made many and varied commendable contributions to promote quality access of ECCD, Sri Lanka. However, the state contribution towards ECCD seems to be equivocal with the national education systems recognizing the child from the age of 5 years and preschools administration is more or less carried out as a small business or charity.
Multiplicity of ECCD agencies, providing an uneven distribution of facilities for ECCD in Sri Lanka seems to be in need of rigorous supervision and monitoring. The government of Sri Lankan seems reluctance in its responsibility of shouldering the ECCD, Sri Lanka in a meaningful manner. In this sense, universal, uniform and quality access to ECCD seems to be denied to preschool aged children. Hence, social, cognitive and emotional needs of the Sri Lankan preschool children requiring address during this significant, critical and sensitive period; contributing to their overall development, remains unaddrressed. Thus, the present paper aims to review past and present government responsibility towards ECCD, Sri Lanka
Buddhiprabha D. D. Pathirana
Early Childhood Care and Education, Preschools, Policy, Sri Lanka
- Alderman, H., Behrman, J.R., Lavy, V., & Menon, R. (2001). "Child Health and School Enrollment: A Longitudinal Analysis,"Journal of Human Resources 36 (1), 185?205.
- Alderman, H., & Vegas, E. (2011). The Convergence of Equity and Efficiency in ECD Programs, In. No Small Matter: The Impact of Poverty, Shocks, and Human Capital Investments in Early Childhood Development, ed. Alderman, H, 155-183, Washington, DC; World Bank, Retrieved on 26th of January, 2016, from, http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EDUCATION/Resources/278200-1298568319076/nosmallmatter.pdf
- Barnett, W. S., & Masse, L. N. (2007). Early childhood program design and economic returns: Comparative benefit-cost analysis of the Abecedarian program and policy implications, Economics of Education Review, 26, 113-125.
- Behrman, J. R., Hoddinott, J., Maluccio, J. A., Soler-Hampejsek, E., Behrman, E. L., Martorell, R., et al. (2008). What determines adult cognitive skills? Impacts of pre-school, school years and post-school experiences in Guatemala. IFPRI Discussion Paper 00826. Washington, DC: International Food Policy Research Institute
- Behrman, J.R., Cheng, Y., & Todd, P.E. (2004). Evaluating the preschool programs when length of exposure to the program varies: A nonparametric approach, The Review of Economics and Statistics,86(1), 108?132
- Berk (2010). Child Development. New Delhi, India; Prentice Hall: 08th Edition
- Belsky, J., Vandell, D. L., Burchinal, M., Clarke -Stewart, K. A, McCartney, K., Owen, M. T., et al. (2007). Are there long -term effects of early child care? Child Development, 78(2), 681-701
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1970). Two worlds of childhood: US and USSR. London;? George & Unwin Ltd.,
- Boissiere, M., John B. Knight, J.B., & Sabot, R.H. (1985). "Earnings, Schooling, Ability and Cognitive Skills," American EconomicReview 75, 1016?1030.
- Evans, J. (1996). ECCD in Sri Lanka, In. The Consultative Group on Early Childhood Care and Development, Program Profiles, Coordinators' Notebook No. 18, 1996, retrieved on 27th of December, 2016 from, www.ecdgroup.com/download/cc118cqi.pdf
- Engle, P. L., Fernald, L. C., Alderman, H., Behrman, J., O'Gara, C., Yousafza i, A., De Mello, M.C., Hidrobo, M., Ulkuer, N.,Ertem, I., Iltus, S. and the Global Child Development Group (2011). Strategies for reducing inequalities and improving developmental outcomes for young children in low-income and middle-income countries. The Lancet, 378, 1339-1353.
- Heckman, James, Jora Stixrud, and Sergio Urzua. (2005). "The Effects of Cognitive and Noncognitive Abilities on Labor Market Outcomes and Social Behavior." Journal of Labor Economics 24 (3): 411?82.
- Ministry of Education, Sri Lanka (MoE) (2013). New Vision for Education and Milestones of Progress: Progress in 2012 and Proposed Programmes in 2013, retrieved on 3rd of August, 2014, from http://www.moe.gov.lk/web/images/stories/publication/report_e.pdf
- Ministry of Education (MoE) (2008). "Education for All: Mid-Decade Assessment". MoE, Government of Sri Lanka. Colombo, Sri Lanka. Retrieved on 27th of December, 2016, from:http://planipolis.iiep.unesco.org/upload/Sri%20Lanka/Sri%20Lanka_EFA_MDA.pdf.
- Ministry of Women and Child Affairs (MWCA)? (2016), child development, retrieved on 30th of December, 2016, from, http://www.childwomenmin.gov.lk/English/services/child-development
- Ministry of Child Development and Women's Affairs (MCDWA): Laws, Policies, and Plans. Action Plan of ECCD- 2012. Retrieved on 23rd of March, 2013 from,? http://www.childwomenmin.gov.lk/web/images/pdf/action_plan-eccd-%202012.pdf
- Ministry of Child Development and Women's Affairs (2013). Main Development Activities. Retrieved on 24th of March, 2013,? http://www.childwomenmin.gov.lk/web/index.php/en/main-development-child
- Nadeau, Sophie, Kataoka N, Valerio A, Neumann M.J., Elder L.K. (2011). "Investing in young children: an early childhood development guide for policy dialogue and project preparation". In. No Small Matter: The Impact of Poverty, Shocks, and Human Capital Investments in Early Childhood Development, Retrieved on 01st of January 2017, from,? https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/2266/600410PUB0ID181Matter09780821386774.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Naudeau, S., Kataoka,? N., Alexandria Valerio,A.,? Michelle Neuman, M., &? Elder, L. (2010). "Investing in Young Children: An ECD Guide for Policy Dialogue and Project Preparation." World Bank, Washington, DC.
- Nores, M., & Barnett. W.S. (2010). "Benefits of Early Childhood Interventions across the World: (Under) Investing in the Very Young." Economics of Education Review 29 (2, 271?82.
- Pathirana, B.D.D. (2015). Creating a Rainbow: Recommendations for developing efficient, feasible and sustainable early childhood care and educational reforms to promote the optimal development within preschool children in Sri Lanka, International Journal of Advanced Research, 3(7), 934-942.
- Pathirana, B.D.D. (2006). Doctoral dissertation, "An inquiry into early violence/aggression and prosocial behaviors in preschool children in Sri Lanka to identify appropriate interventions". University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Report of the National Committee of Enquiry on the Young Child (1986), retrieved on 3rd of July 2017, from, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0007/000705/070543eb.pdf
- UNESCO/ UNICEF (2012). Asia-Pacific end decade notes on education for all: EFA goal 1, Early Childhood Care and Education, retrieved on 27th of December, 2016, from, https://www.unicef.org/rosa/217145e.pdf
- UNESCO (2000), The Dakar framework for action, retrieved on 01st of January 2017, from, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0012/001211/121147e.pdf
- Walker, S.P., Wachs, T.D., Gardner, J.M., Lozoff, B., Wasserman, G.A., Pollitt E., & Carter, J.A: the International Child Development Steering Group. (2007). "Child Development: Risk Factors for Adverse Outcomes in Developing Countries." Lancet 369 (9556), 145?57.
- Wijetunge, S., & Wickramarathna, V (2003). A national study on childcare provision in preschools, Sri Lanka. Colombo; UNICEF.
- World Bank, Group. (2014) Laying the Foundation for Early Childhood Education in Sri Lanka. In: World Bank Other Operational Studies. RePEc:wbk:wboper:23362.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 6 | July-August 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-08-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 37-43
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173470
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Buddhiprabha D. D. Pathirana, "Evolution of Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) in Sri Lanka: Analysis of the state responsibility", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 6, pp.37-43, July-August-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173470