Home > Archives > IJSRST173478
Assessment Ethics in Vocational Technical Education for Attenuating Examination Malpractice among Vocational Education Students in Nigerian Universities
Authors(2) :-Uko Edet Okon, Caleb Emmanuel Ezekiel
This study sought to reinforce ethics in assessment by identifying the ethical standards in academic testing in vocational education. The study was carried out in the Department of Vocational Education, University of Uyo in Akwa Ibom State, south-south Nigeria. The descriptive research design was employed for the study. The population of the study is 53 consisting of all the Lecturers in the Department. The 53 lecturers were used as the sample for the study. Purposive sampling was done since the number of lecturers was of a manageable size. The researcher developed instrument titled â€œExaminers Assessment Ethics Questionnaireâ€ was used for data collection. The instrument was validated by three experts from the department of tests and measurement, University of Uyo. Validation was in two tiers: face and content validation. The researcher started the validation by constructing the questionnaire items based on the objectives of the study. The developed questionnaire was given to the experts in tests and measurement. They scrutinized and made recommendations on how the instrument could measure exactly the variables under study. All their corrections and suggestions were incorporated into the final form of the questionnaire. The instrument was tested for reliability. Findings of the study identified key skills, attitudes and ethical practices in testing which includes integrity, objectivity, fairness, public safety and confidentiality. The recommendations made among others is that a handbook on standards/ethics in assessment should be provided by the University administration for lecturers.
Uko Edet Okon, Caleb Emmanuel Ezekiel
Examiners Assessment Ethics Questionnaire, Vocational Technical Education, Visual Cryptography
- Carroll, D. (2002). Piper teacher who resigned in plagiarism dispute is a hit with media.
- The Kansas City Star. Retrieved August 3, 2015 from http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/2634836.htm?1c.
- Chula G. King, Roger W. Guyette, Jr., & Chris Piotrowski (2009). Online Exams and Cheating: An Empirical Analysis of Business Students’ Views. The Journal of Educators Online, 6(1):1-11.
- Bolin, A. (2004). Self-control, perceived opportunity, and attitudes as predictors of academic dishonesty. Journal of Psychology, 138, 110-116.
- McCabe, D. L. (1992). The influence of situational ethics on cheating among college students. Sociological Inquiry, 62(3), 365-374.
- Rozycki, E. G. (2006). Cheating impossible: Transforming educational values. Educational Horizons, 84(3), 136-138.
- Whitley, B. E. (1998). Factors associated with cheating among college students: A review. Research in Higher Education, 39(3), 235-273.
- Thurow, L. (1975). Generating inequality: Mechanisms of distribution in the U.S. economy. New York: Basic Books.
- Leuven, E., and Oosterbeek, H., (2011). Overeducation and mismatch in the labour market. Institute for the study of labour (Iza). Discussion Paper No. 5523 February 2011.
- Schmeiser, C. B (1995). Ethics in Assessment. ERIC Digest. Retrieved from www.ericdigest.com on 20th January 2015.
- McMahon, Mary, and Kristen Osborne (2014). What Does an Invigilator Do? WiseGeek. Conjecture, 5 June 2014. Web. 10 July 2014.
- Rowan, John & Samuel Zinaich Jr.( 2002). Ethics for the Professions. Belmont, CA. Thompson Learning.
- Lawlor, Rob (2007). Moral Theories in Teaching Applied Ethics. Journal of Medical Ethics. 33.6 370-372.
- American Psychological Association(2010). Appropriate Use of High-Stakes Testing in Our Nation's Schools. APA Online, available at APA.org, Retrieved January 24, 2010
- Ugoji, F. N. (2008). The Impact of Counselling on the Academic Performance of Secondary School Students. African Journal for Inter Disciplinary Studies, 8(2), 67-73.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 4 | May-June 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-06-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 314-322
Manuscript Number : IJSRST173478
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Uko Edet Okon, Caleb Emmanuel Ezekiel, "Assessment Ethics in Vocational Technical Education for Attenuating Examination Malpractice among Vocational Education Students in Nigerian Universities ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp.314-322, May-June-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST173478