Home > Archives > IJSRST1736130
Applications of pharmacoepidemiology in cancer research
Authors(1) :-Mahin Ghorbani
Differences in cancer types and anticancer drug responses involved the cancer research programs in a challenging area required integration of several fields. Combination of clinical pharmacology and epidemiology termed as pharmacoepidemiology in cancer research projects ,provide cancer therapy researchers to investigate different drug responses among individuals in terms of treatment, efficacy , survival rate and adverse effects in a distinct large population . According to the published pharmacoepidemiological evidences , various significant statically observational results obtained about effects of non-anticancer drugs( antidepressant adherence and antihypertensive medications ) in breast cancer , individual effect of anticancer drug in epithelial ovarian cancer, comparison of individual and association effects of two anticancer drugs on overall pancreatic cancer survival , comparison of two anticancer drugs in myelodysplastic syndromes and role of racial variation in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer therapy. In this paper I discuss how the researches obtained their findings based on pharmacoepidemiology methods . This paper is useful for potential researchers to utilize these findings for investigation of anticancer drug effects in a well-defined population in order to assess of potential health hazard accompanied with drug use in real life and to qualify the appropriate public health effect of marketed anticancer drugs.
pharmacoepidemiology, Cancer therapy, drug effects, cancer survival, health hazard.
- M Ghorbani, H Karimi Role of Biomarkers in Cancer Research and Drug Development, IJSRST151324, July-August 2015 [(1)3: 127-132]
- Evans SJW. Pharmacoepidemiology. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2012;73(6):973-978. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2012.04248.x.
- Lawson DH. Pharmacoepidemiology: a new discipline. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1984;289:940?1.???????
- Bewick V, Cheek L, Ball J. Statistics review 12: Survival analysis. Critical Care. 2004;8(5):389-394. doi:10.1186/cc2955.
- Armitage P, Berry G, Matthews JNS. Statistical Methods in Medical Research. 4. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science; 2002.
- Chou YT, Winn AN, Rosenstein DL, Dusetzina SB,Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2017 Jun;26(6):676-684. doi: 10.1002/pds.4198. Epub 2017 Mar 19.PMID:?? 28317314.
- Jian-Yu E, Shou-En Lu, Yong Lin, Judith M. Graber, David Rotter, Lanjing Zhang, Gloria M. Petersen, Kitaw Demissie, Grace Lu-Yao and Xiang-Lin Tan, Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev August 1 2017 26 (8) 1225-1232; DOI:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-17-0227.
- Lu Chen, Jessica Chubak, Denise M. Boudreau, William E. Barlow, Noel S. Weiss and Christopher I. Li Use of antihypertensive medications and risk of adverse breast cancer outcomes in a SEER-Medicare population , Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, August 14, 2017,doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-17-0346
- Vogel TJ1, Goodman MT2, Li AJ1, Jeon CY3, Statin treatment is associated with survival in a nationally representative population of elderly women with epithelial ovarian cancer, Gynecol Oncol. 2017 Aug;146(2):340-345. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2017.05.009. Epub 2017 Jun 7.
- Garcia C1, Yao A2, Camacho F2, Balkrishnan R2, Cantrell LA3,A SEER-Medicare analysis of the impact of metformin on overall survival in ovarian cancer, Gynecol Oncol. 2017 Aug;146(2):346-350. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2017.05.006. Epub 2017 May 10.
- Zeidan AM1,2, Davidoff AJ2,3, Long JB2, Hu X2, Wang R2,4, Ma X2,4, Gross CP2, Abel GA5, Huntington SF1,2, Podoltsev NA1, Hajime U5, Prebet T1, Gore SD1,2. Comparative clinical effectiveness of azacitidine versus decitabine in older patients with myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol. 2016 Dec;175(5):829-840. doi: 10.1111/bjh.14305. Epub 2016 Sep 21.
- Howell EA1, Egorova N, Hayes MP, Wisnivesky J, Franco R, Bickell N. Racial disparities in the treatment of advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol. 2013 Nov;122(5):1025-32. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e3182a92011.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-10-31
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 22-26
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1736130
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Mahin Ghorbani , "Applications of pharmacoepidemiology in cancer research ", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.22-26, September-October-2017
URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1736130