Home > Archives > IJSRST1736133
Assessment of Microbiological Contamination of Marine Ecosystems : Can we Continue to Limit Ourselves to the Analysis of Fecal Parameters for the Assessment of the Coastal Ecosystems Quality?
Authors(4) :-Ibtissame Setti, Abdellatif Moukrim, Jaime Martinez-Urtaza, Abderrahmane Hanoune
This study reports the relationship between the level of faecal cantamination and the prevalence of salmonella in the coastal and shellfish areas of the Agadir coast (south of Morocco), 801 samples of mussel, sea water, and marine sediment collected for48 months from six site along the Moroccan Atlantic coast between Essaouira and Sidi Ifni.Two methods were used for this study:(AFNOR NF EN ISO 6579 V08-013) to detect the presence of salmonella spp, and the most probable number method (ISO/TS 16649-3 standard) to detect E. coli the overall prevalence of salmonella spp.is 7.1%. The number of E.Coli was between 18/100g and 28.103/100g of flesh and Liquid intervals .This study indicates the potential health risk associated with the presence of these bacteria and their relationship in the assessment of microbiological contamination of the marine environment in this populated region of southern Morocco where shellfish production and maritime tourism are important to thelocal and national economy.
Ibtissame Setti, Abdellatif Moukrim, Jaime Martinez-Urtaza, Abderrahmane Hanoune
Salmonella, Escherichia coli, Agadir, Morocco, Mussels
- Brands, D. A., A. E. Inman, C. P. Gerba, C. J. Mar?, S. J. Billington, L. A. Saif, J. F. Levine, and L. A. Joens. Prevalence of Salmonella spp. inoysters in the United States. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 71(2005) 893-897.
- Baudart, J., K. Lemarchand, A. Brisabois, and P. Lebaron. Diversity of Salmonella strains isolated from the aquatic environment as determined by serotyping and amplification of the ribosomal DNA spacerregions. Appl.Environ. Microbiol. 66(2000)1544-1552.
- Cohen et Karib Vibrio spp. In fishery products: Risks and prevention. In Review of laboratory technologies. pp 4 (2007) 4-10
- FDA BacteriologicalAnalyticalManual. Chapter 9, Vibrio. In: Food and Drug Administration, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Office of Seafood, Washington. DC (2004).
- Goyal, S. M., C. P. Gerba, and J. L. Melnick. 1977. Occurrence and distribution of bacterial indicators and pathogens in canal communities along the Texas coast. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 341(1977)39-149.
- Haley, B. J., D. J. Cole, and E. K. Lipp. Distribution, diversity, and seasonality of water borne salmonellae in a rural watershed. Appl. Environ.Microbiol. 75(2009):1248-1255.
- Kleinheinz GT, McDermott CM, Hughes S, Brown A (2009).Effects of rainfall on E.coli concentrations at DoorCounty,Wisconsinbeaches.IntJ of Microbiol.article ID.(2009) 87605
- Mannas H, Mimouni R, Chaouky N, Martinez-Urtaza. Occurrence of Vibrio and Salmonella species in mussels (Mytilus galloprovincialis) collected along the Moroccan Atlantic coast. SpringerPlus.(2014)3-265
- Martinez -Manzanares, E. M. A. Morin?igo, R. Cornax, F. Egea, andJ. J.Borrego. Relationship between classical indicators and several pathogenic microorganisms in volvedin shell. sh-borne diseases.J. Food Prot. processing facilities. J. Food. Prot. 67(1991) 256-263.
- Martinez-Urtaza, J., M. Saco, G. Hernandez-Cordova, A. Lozano, O. Garcia-Martin and J. Espinosa Identification of Salmonella Serovars Isolated from Live Molluscan Shellfish and Their Significance in the Marine Environment. J. Food Protec. 66 (2003) 226-232.
- Setti I, Rodriguez.Castro A, Pata MP, Cadarso-Suarez C, Yacoubi B, Bensmael L, Moukrim A. Martinez.Urtaza. Characteristics and dynamics of SalmonellaContamination along the coast of Agadir, Morocco. Appl Environ Microbiol.75(2009). 24
- Willson, I. G, and J. E. Moore. Presence of Salmonella spp. And Campylobacterspp. inshellfish. Epidemiol. Infect. 116 (1996) :147-153.
Published in : Volume 3 | Issue 7 | September-October 2017
Date of Publication : 2017-09-30
License: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Page(s) : 370-372
Manuscript Number : IJSRST1736133
Publisher : Technoscience Academy
PRINT ISSN : 2395-6011
ONLINE ISSN : 2395-602X
Cite This Article :
Ibtissame Setti, Abdellatif Moukrim, Jaime Martinez-Urtaza, Abderrahmane Hanoune, "Assessment of Microbiological Contamination of Marine Ecosystems : Can we Continue to Limit Ourselves to the Analysis of Fecal Parameters for the Assessment of the Coastal Ecosystems Quality?", International Journal of Scientific Research in Science and Technology(IJSRST), Print ISSN : 2395-6011, Online ISSN : 2395-602X, Volume 3, Issue 7, pp.370-372, September-October-2017.
Journal URL : http://ijsrst.com/IJSRST1736133